Credo in Deum Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 (edited) Let's bring back props and also make something extra for those who get massive amounts of props! Something like a gold star badge or something flashy. Let's get wild with it. Edited September 13, 2015 by Credo in Deum
Gabriela Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 Well maybe s/he will post now. S/he'll more likely just stop visiting altogether, and never return. And the loss of that person is a serious loss to Phatmass, and not just IMO. dUSt, you've acknowledged yourself that the Phorum has been poorly managed for some time. Some of the events surrounding the Great Phatmass Migration of 2015 made a lot of people feel really dismissed, like they're not important to us. If we really want to build community, I think it's important to hear out people who are so frustrated that they're considering leaving (or have already left). We can learn how to maintain a strong, positive community by listening to their stories. I know you can't please everyone, and sometimes some people are just going to leave. That's understandable. But a publicly dismissive attitude towards those people makes a lot of people feel like they, individually, don't matter. So while trying to consider every single person's desires would make every phorum decision maddening and impossible, at least when a change is communicated to us, it'd probably be better for the community in the long term if the change were communicated gently, not in a "here's what's happening and if you don't like it you can smell of elderberries it up or leave" way.
Nunsense Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 (edited) S/he'll more likely just stop visiting altogether, and never return. And the loss of that person is a serious loss to Phatmass, and not just IMO. dUSt, you've acknowledged yourself that the Phorum has been poorly managed for some time. Some of the events surrounding the Great Phatmass Migration of 2015 made a lot of people feel really dismissed, like they're not important to us. If we really want to build community, I think it's important to hear out people who are so frustrated that they're considering leaving (or have already left). We can learn how to maintain a strong, positive community by listening to their stories. I know you can't please everyone, and sometimes some people are just going to leave. That's understandable. But a publicly dismissive attitude towards those people makes a lot of people feel like they, individually, don't matter. So while trying to consider every single person's desires would make every phorum decision maddening and impossible, at least when a change is communicated to us, it'd probably be better for the community in the long term if the change were communicated gently, not in a "here's what's happening and if you don't like it you can smell of elderberries it up or leave" way. so who needs props? While some of what you post here has validity (not to be publicly dismissive of the feelings of others), the tone of your post does seem like just another way to reinforce your own preference to have props. I doubt that having or not having them has been the real thing that has driven anyone away.We didn't have them a long time ago, and we did just fine - better in fact, IMO. If we get them back, fine, but abusing dUSt to get them doesn't seem necessary. Edited September 13, 2015 by nunsense
Nunsense Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 I just love being able to post something without the threat of a negative prop! If someone wants to downvote me, they have to actually post it in an emo or words or picture or something. It somehow seems like more of a commitment. As long as this lasts, I am very happy!
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 (edited) so who needs props? While some of what you post here has validity (not to be publicly dismissive of the feelings of others), the tone of your post does seem like just another way to reinforce your own preference to have props. I doubt that having or not having them has been the real thing that has driven anyone away.We didn't have them a long time ago, and we did just fine - better in fact, IMO. If we get them back, fine, but abusing dUSt to get them doesn't seem necessary. I agree with all your points. We have lost a couple of excellent, mature posters in the past year, but as far as I know, having props or not had nothing to do with it. They left despite having props. I don't know who you refer to who visits and doesn't post, but only gives props, but I know of at least a couple of others who have stopped posting (or propping) altogether. Edited September 13, 2015 by IgnatiusofLoyola
Nunsense Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 I agree with all your points. We have lost a couple of excellent, mature posters in the past year, but as far as I know, having props or not had nothing to do with it. They left despite having props. I don't know who you refer to who visits and doesn't post, but only gives props, but I know of at least a couple of others who have stopped posting altogether. People come and go depending on their own personal state of mind. I have left for awhile to 'chill out' and then returned, as have many others. Props come and go, people come and go, but I doubt there is a lot of correlation between the two things.
veritasluxmea Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 I agree with Gabriella. People leaving isn't about having/not having props. But listening to people who use the forum, and making changes based on how they like to use it, is important. And the people have spoken in favor of props. (Of course, if they didn't want props- I'd be fine with that as well.) Let's bring back props and also make something extra for those who get massive amounts of props! Something like a gold star badge or something flashy. Let's get wild with it. Make it animated!
Nunsense Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 I agree with Gabriella. People leaving isn't about having/not having props. But listening to people who use the forum, and making changes based on how they like to use it, is important. And the people have spoken in favor of props. (Of course, if they didn't want props- I'd be fine with that as well.) Make it animated! People don't know what's good for them.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 Let's bring back props and also make something extra for those who get massive amounts of props! Something like a gold star badge or something flashy. Let's get wild with it. When I first read this, I thought you were kidding, and if you are kidding, forgive me. In the past I have seen "p*ssing contests" (mostly) among the "little boys" on the forum who avidly keep track of their props compared to those of other little boys as if Phatmass is some sort of video game. I think Lil Red deserves special recognition for attaining 10,000 props because she did it without really caring whether she was propped or not--she simply said what she thought. But, other than Lil Red, I'd vote that we don't make props a huge deal. If props are reinstated, I'd personally prefer that props simply indicate how people feel about a particular post, and are not cumulative, with total props posted. A lot of the time, having lots of props doesn't really indicate the quality of a person's posts, but rather, how long they have been a member, and how many posts they make per day. I don't think it's healthy for posters to be competing, as if having more props means you are a a better Catholic than someone with fewer props.
Credo in Deum Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 When I first read this, I thought you were kidding, and if you are kidding, forgive me. In the past I have seen "p*ssing contests" (mostly) among the "little boys" on the forum who avidly keep track of their props compared to those of other little boys as if Phatmass is some sort of video game. I think Lil Red deserves special recognition for attaining 10,000 props because she did it without really caring whether she was propped or not--she simply said what she thought. But, other than Lil Red, I'd vote that we don't make props a huge deal. If props are reinstated, I'd personally prefer that props simply indicate how people feel about a particular post, and are not cumulative, with total props posted. A lot of the time, having lots of props doesn't really indicate the quality of a person's posts, but rather, how long they have been a member, and how many posts they make per day. I don't think it's healthy for posters to be competing, as if having more props means you are a a better Catholic than someone with fewer props. I think we should assume the best in our members and not the worst. Who really cares if someone is counting their props? I'm sure if there are people counting props or trying to post for the sake of props, then those people are the minority on this site and not the majority. The idea that we shouldn't have a prop system because of the irrational behavior of a few people, if they even exist on this site mind you, is kind of out there. Feels like a Phatmass temperance movement calling for prop prohibition. People are going to find other means of propping wither it be stupid memes, gifs, or emoticons, so let's not clog the threads with that croutons and just reinstate the prop button.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 (edited) I think we should assume the best in our members and not the worst. Who really cares if someone is counting their props? I'm sure if there are people counting props or trying to post for the sake of props, then those people are the minority on this site and not the majority. The idea that we shouldn't have a prop system because of the irrational behavior of a few people, if they even exist on this site mind you, is kind of out there. Feels like a Phatmass temperance movement calling for prop prohibition. People are going to find other means of propping wither it be stupid memes, gifs, or emoticons, so let's not clog the threads with that croutons and just reinstate the prop button. Fair enough. But, if we keep props, let's not go in the other direction, either, and make a bigger deal out of props than they are under the current system. BTW--I've forgotten if I've said already that if we reinstate props, I'd vote that we don't reinstate negative props. I'd rather focus on positive reinforcement. Plus, if a person has a problem with a particular post, they have the option of saying so, and why. Edited September 13, 2015 by IgnatiusofLoyola
Nihil Obstat Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 I will certainly bust back out with stupid anime pictures instead of props, if props are no longer an option for me.
MIKolbe Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 you never needed any reason to post anything stupid.....
Nihil Obstat Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 you never needed any reason to post anything stupid..... No one ever really needs a reason. But I have one nonetheless.
Gabriela Posted September 14, 2015 Posted September 14, 2015 (edited) so who needs props? While some of what you post here has validity (not to be publicly dismissive of the feelings of others), the tone of your post does seem like just another way to reinforce your own preference to have props. I doubt that having or not having them has been the real thing that has driven anyone away.We didn't have them a long time ago, and we did just fine - better in fact, IMO. If we get them back, fine, but abusing dUSt to get them doesn't seem necessary. But you are being publicly dismissive of others' feelings. My intent with the above post was not to get dUSt to bring back props. It was to make the point through one case (the person I spoke with yesterday offline) that the decisions made on the phorum affect people's sense of belonging and community here. But even more important than the decisions is the way the decisions are communicated. I'm sorry you missed that subtlety in gloating over what you apparently perceive to be a petty "victory". I'm blocking your posts now. You're behaving very childishly in this thread. I agree with all your points. We have lost a couple of excellent, mature posters in the past year, but as far as I know, having props or not had nothing to do with it. They left despite having props. I don't know who you refer to who visits and doesn't post, but only gives props, but I know of at least a couple of others who have stopped posting (or propping) altogether. I like your earlier idea, actually, to not count the props under the avatar. That way it's not a popularity contest, but it does mark out especially good posts. You are right: The person I mentioned left because s/he felt dismissed by the way some decisions were made/communicated. It had nothing to do with props. But many people want that person to come back, and right now, s/he only participates by propping. Which to me suggests that eventually, s/he'd come back (maybe), if we could just keep him/her participating in some way until s/he feels "healed" from the dismissive treatment. And right now, props are that way. I agree with Gabriella. People leaving isn't about having/not having props. But listening to people who use the forum, and making changes based on how they like to use it, is important. And the people have spoken in favor of props. (Of course, if they didn't want props- I'd be fine with that as well.) Right. Thank you for understanding! And yes, I agree that whatever the majority decides is the way we should go, unless the higher-ups decide that, for some reason, we need to do without props for a while. I'm totally fine with an "experimental prop-less period". But every time we've ever lost props due to a tech issue, people did NOT get over not having props. It drove them crazy. Edited September 14, 2015 by Gabriela
veritasluxmea Posted September 14, 2015 Posted September 14, 2015 (edited) I'm blocking your posts now. You're behaving very childishly in this thread. Oh my gosh, I thought I was the only one who thought NS was off and I was going crazy. Sounds like it hits a sore spot somehow. idk, I've been on forums since I was young and I learned quickly to chill and handle negative reps. It's just a simile or a frown, it doesn't affect your post count or something. Edited September 14, 2015 by veritasluxmea
Maximilianus Posted September 14, 2015 Posted September 14, 2015 so, is it too late to cash in on my props? I think I earned enough for the Pope Julius II koozie.
Nunsense Posted September 14, 2015 Posted September 14, 2015 Well, I guess that tells me off! Time for some to take their chill pills. It's only the Internet folks.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now