An Old School Catholic Message Board

To prop or not to prop

dUSt

Props  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

:dontlike:

so who needs props?

While some of what you post here has validity (not to be publicly dismissive of the feelings of others), the tone of your post does seem like just another way to reinforce your own preference to have props. I doubt that having or not having them has been the real thing that has driven anyone away.We didn't have them a long time ago, and we did just fine - better in fact, IMO. 

If we get them back, fine, but abusing dUSt to get them doesn't seem necessary.

But you are being publicly dismissive of others' feelings. My intent with the above post was not to get dUSt to bring back props. It was to make the point through one case (the person I spoke with yesterday offline) that the decisions made on the phorum affect people's sense of belonging and community here. But even more important than the decisions is the way the decisions are communicated.

I'm sorry you missed that subtlety in gloating over what you apparently perceive to be a petty "victory".

I'm blocking your posts now. You're behaving very childishly in this thread.

I agree with all your points. We have lost a couple of excellent, mature posters in the past year, but as far as I know, having props or not had nothing to do with it. They left despite having props. I don't know who you refer to who visits and doesn't post, but only gives props, but I know of at least a couple of others who have stopped posting (or propping) altogether.

I like your earlier idea, actually, to not count the props under the avatar. That way it's not a popularity contest, but it does mark out especially good posts.

You are right: The person I mentioned left because s/he felt dismissed by the way some decisions were made/communicated. It had nothing to do with props. But many people want that person to come back, and right now, s/he only participates by propping. Which to me suggests that eventually, s/he'd come back (maybe), if we could just keep him/her participating in some way until s/he feels "healed" from the dismissive treatment. And right now, props are that way.

I agree with Gabriella. People leaving isn't about having/not having props. But listening to people who use the forum, and making changes based on how they like to use it, is important. And the people have spoken in favor of props. 

(Of course, if they didn't want props- I'd be fine with that as well.) 

Right. Thank you for understanding! And yes, I agree that whatever the majority decides is the way we should go, unless the higher-ups decide that, for some reason, we need to do without props for a while. I'm totally fine with an "experimental prop-less period". But every time we've ever lost props due to a tech issue, people did NOT get over not having props. It drove them crazy.

Edited by Gabriela

I'm blocking your posts now. You're behaving very childishly in this thread.

Oh my gosh, I thought I was the only one who thought NS was off and I was going crazy. Sounds like it hits a sore spot somehow. idk, I've been on forums since I was young and I learned quickly to chill and handle negative reps. It's just a simile or a frown, it doesn't affect your post count or something.

Edited by veritasluxmea

S/he'll more likely just stop visiting altogether, and never return. And the loss of that person is a serious loss to Phatmass, and not just IMO.

dUSt, you've acknowledged yourself that the Phorum has been poorly managed for some time. Some of the events surrounding the Great Phatmass Migration of 2015 made a lot of people feel really dismissed, like they're not important to us. If we really want to build community, I think it's important to hear out people who are so frustrated that they're considering leaving (or have already left). We can learn how to maintain a strong, positive community by listening to their stories.

I know you can't please everyone, and sometimes some people are just going to leave. That's understandable. But a publicly dismissive attitude towards those people makes a lot of people feel like they, individually, don't matter. So while trying to consider every single person's desires would make every phorum decision maddening and impossible, at least when a change is communicated to us, it'd probably be better for the community in the long term if the change were communicated gently, not in a "here's what's happening and if you don't like it you can smell of elderberries it up or leave" way.

I wish more people would complain to me, because I never hear it. I DO hear how people leave, and how people are unhappy, but I never hear why. It truly is a great mystery to me. After decoding your message, here's the feedback I'm hearing:

Some of the events surrounding the Great Phatmass Migration of 2015 made a lot of people feel really dismissed, like they're not important to us.

What events made people feel dismissed? How did it make them feel not important? I really want to change this, but it's unclear what you mean.

I think it's important to hear out people who are so frustrated that they're considering leaving (or have already left).

Do I need to make it easier for people to share their stories? Why do they not share their stories now? What can I do to improve this?

But a publicly dismissive attitude towards those people makes a lot of people feel like they, individually, don't matter.

I have a terrible memory. What did I do to make them feel this way? I truly want to correct this.

it'd probably be better for the community in the long term if the change were communicated gently

I try really hard to seek feedback from the community before any decision. Some decisions are technology based so aren't really subject to opinion. I think this is probably the most transparent forum in the Catholic world, unless I'm missing something.

You are right: The person I mentioned left because s/he felt dismissed by the way some decisions were made/communicated. It had nothing to do with props. But many people want that person to come back, and right now, s/he only participates by propping. Which to me suggests that eventually, s/he'd come back (maybe), if we could just keep him/her participating in some way until s/he feels "healed" from the dismissive treatment. And right now, props are that way.

Can you ask the mystery person if he/she ever tried to communicate with me directly about this matter? I am the ultimate decision maker here, so I can only assume that the mystery person felt dismissed by me--in which case, I'd like to revisit the communication between myself and the mystery person to see if I owe somebody an apology.

OK, 29 people want props in some form. 10 people don't. That's nearly 3 to 1 in favor.

Props are back, but only + props. No more thumbs. We call it what it is. Props!

I still think cashing in props for random phatmass stuff would be genius...

Would one lose their props after they cash them in? I'll send you a t-shirt for 5,000 props. Then you'll have 2,627 left...

Or, just like "Hit 5,000 props, get a free t-shirt" type thing?

franciscanheart

Would one lose their props after they cash them in? I'll send you a t-shirt for 5,000 props. Then you'll have 2,627 left...

YES. Exactly.

OK, 29 people want props in some form. 10 people don't. That's nearly 3 to 1 in favor.

Props are back, but only + props. No more thumbs. We call it what it is. Props!

Thank you, good call.

Dust, I know we have not always seen eye to eye, to put it rather mildly, but I like what you have been doing around here lately. I think that in the last several months, maybe in the last year or so, you have displayed a lot of genuineness and integrity, and I really appreciate that. I know my opinion does not count for much, but either way, thank you.