Ancilla Domini Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 (edited) This is a very good idea. I think that would help with the whole "popularity contest" feel that people are complaining about. What's wrong with a little competition here and there, though? Besides, if there are people who really care enough about accumulating props to actually improve their posts in order to get them, then hey, at least we have better stuff being posted, right? It's not that big of a deal, really. I mean, I know that I like getting them, but I don't post for the express purpose of getting them, and I don't get a sadistic thrill from other people having fewer than I do. I just find them kewl. (I know you're not saying that about people, I'm just exaggerating to make a point. ) I say keep 'em. Get rid of negative props, I think, because that's where things can get a bit nasty. But positive props are harmless. Btw, new word, which everyone should know and use, in everyday conversation: schadenfreude. It's a German word meaning "pleasure derived from another's misfortune." Good word to have at your fingertips. Edited September 12, 2015 by Ancilla Domini
Didacus Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 I hope you're joking, otherwise, how are you Church Militant? That's a terrible joke btw. Maybe a sarcasm button would be more useful than props?
Gabriela Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 Btw, new word, which everyone should know and use, in everyday conversation: schadenfreude. It's a German word meaning "pleasure derived from another's misfortune." Good word to have at your fingertips. I have a picture on my wall that I took of a plaque posted outside a maze of mirrors at the Hamburg Sommerfest. People could stand outside the one-way windows of the maze and watch people flounder around inside of it. It says: "Schadenfreude ist die reinste Freude." Pleasure derived from another's misfortune is the purest pleasure.
superblue Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 actually, positive props are now offensive to me, so i demand that there be no positive props.
Didacus Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 actually, positive props are now offensive to me, so i demand that there be no positive props. I'm offended that you're offended and demand there be props immediately!
Credo in Deum Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 The fact that we're making this much of a fuss over props shows we should just leave them in the past. Plus I like that Lil Red reached the highest number of props before the prop system went kaput. It will be her legacy on Phatmass.
Nihil Obstat Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 I am of the opinion that having props allowed us: To thank posters for a good post without interrupting a discussion. To keep, over time, a rough and inexact estimate of a member's contribution to discussions on the site. A way for other members to quickly identify particularly valuable contributions within a thread. A non-threatening way for new and/or more timid members to participate in a discussion (i.e. by propping) without exposing themselves to unwanted criticism, which for some people is a pressing concern. A way to positively reinforce good forum habits and etiquette. I think we can do fine without negative props. They were not used nearly as often as positive props, and the contributory effect was not as worthwhile.
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 PROPS ARE FOR ACTORS. *Ducks for cover*
superblue Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 The fact that we're making this much of a fuss over props shows we should just leave them in the past. Plus I like that Lil Red reached the highest number of props before the prop system went kaput. It will be her legacy on Phatmass. that is a negative prop for making a big fuss over other peoples fusses.
Gabriela Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 I am of the opinion that having props allowed us: To thank posters for a good post without interrupting a discussion. To keep, over time, a rough and inexact estimate of a member's contribution to discussions on the site. A way for other members to quickly identify particularly valuable contributions within a thread. A non-threatening way for new and/or more timid members to participate in a discussion (i.e. by propping) without exposing themselves to unwanted criticism, which for some people is a pressing concern. A way to positively reinforce good forum habits and etiquette. I think we can do fine without negative props. They were not used nearly as often as positive props, and the contributory effect was not as worthwhile. I agree. And also, I just spoke with someone who has decided to spend the last year or so just lurking around on Phatmass. That Phatmasser says that props are the only way s/he participates in the phorum anymore, because s/he doesn't want to post.
Nunsense Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 Let's answer this poll with these questions in mind: 1. Will eliminating props help foster more replies to posts? 2. Will eliminating props be better for us, spiritually? 3. Will keeping props make it more reassuring for people posting? 4. Will keeping props provide valuable feedback to help visitors evaluate different posters? 1.No 2. Yes 3. No 4. No
veritasluxmea Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 (edited) I agree with Nihil. Back in the day when forums were popular I was a member of a popular anime and video game forum with lots of active members, and they, although with all other secular forums I checked out, all had a prop system. (not always called that but same difference). It keeps things honest and transparent. Here's a suggestion though: You can see who negatively props something. How about when you give a negative prop you're required to give a reason why, just a word or sentence? Eh, no negative props would be easier on some personalities so I'd be fine with that too. Edited September 13, 2015 by veritasluxmea
Nunsense Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 (edited) I agree with Nihil. Back in the day when forums were popular I was a member of a popular anime and video game forum with lots of active members, and they, although with all other secular forums I checked out, all had a prop system. (not always called that but same difference). It keeps things honest and transparent. Here's a suggestion though: You can see who negatively props something. How about when you give a negative prop you're required to give a reason why, just a word or sentence? Well, in that case, you should also have to say why you gave something a positive prop, as there are cliques on this forum who only prop their 'friends'. Edited September 13, 2015 by nunsense
veritasluxmea Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 Well, in that case, you should also have to say why you gave something a positive prop, as their are cliques on this forum who only prop their 'friends'. I stand by my statement of explaining negative props only. (although that's not a bad idea to do it for both... it would really keep things transparent! But negative props are more important to explain. A "normal" post getting a neg prop can confuse people or even be upsetting). People tend to prop what they agree with, and make internet buddies with people they agree with. So... It would follow someone they agree with, who is also their friend and they notice a lot, "gets the props". I doubt they're going around purposely looking to prop their friends and down vote their enemies. But even if they are, what does it matter? If someone/many people only want to prop their friends or internet buddies, who cares? Heh, maybe we should bring back props so people can have opportunities to learn to chill.
Nunsense Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 I stand by my statement of explaining negative props only. (although that's not a bad idea to do it for both... it would really keep things transparent! But negative props are more important to explain. A "normal" post getting a neg prop can confuse people or even be upsetting). People tend to prop what they agree with, and make internet buddies with people they agree with. So... It would follow someone they agree with, who is also their friend and they notice a lot, "gets the props". I doubt they're going around purposely looking to prop their friends and down vote their enemies. But even if they are, what does it matter? If someone/many people only want to prop their friends or internet buddies, who cares? Heh, maybe we should bring back props so people can have opportunities to learn to chill. If we want to 'chill' maybe we should just leave things as they are now?
dUSt Posted September 13, 2015 Author Posted September 13, 2015 I agree. And also, I just spoke with someone who has decided to spend the last year or so just lurking around on Phatmass. That Phatmasser says that props are the only way s/he participates in the phorum anymore, because s/he doesn't want to post. Well maybe s/he will post now.
Credo in Deum Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 You should revert the entire forum back to the first Phatmass phorum platform. That would be fun!
Nunsense Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 Well maybe s/he will post now. I prop this!
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 (edited) positivity is for hippies. Props are detrimental for our humility. The word hypocrite comes from the greek word for actor, and actors thrive off the applause of the crowd and credos for how good there acting is. Seriously ya'll. Not saying that your all actors but lets think and pray about this seriously, our salvation could be at stake. Let it be known that even if all of the phatmass crew diverge into other ministries i will stick with you till the bitter end dUSt unless of course you become an anti christ. Your ministry including just here on the forums board has saved me time and time again and born much fruit in my life with Christ. Who needs props, we got Jesus, the Holy mother and the angels and saints living and dead. Edited September 13, 2015 by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now