An Old School Catholic Message Board

EWTN

aloha918

I EWTN a good thing?  

174 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mary's Knight, La

[quote name='Aluigi' date='Dec 2 2004, 12:01 PM'] if it's because EWTN actually teaches what the Church teaches, then it is better for your friends to recognize the Church for what it really is (instead of the fake Church so many Americans & "Catholics" see) even if they are turned away.

but if they just don't like some of the shows because they can get boring, sometimes i agree... and the Bob and Penny Lord stuff where they discuss miracles and stuff: it's not bad i just can't get into it really.. it's kind of boring the way they do it (IMHO)

anyway, the faith taught on EWTN is prolly the most orthodox you can find around, EWTN is = in orthodoxy to PhatMass I would say [/quote]
i think it's hillarious (in a good way) that you judge ewtn's orthodoxy by that of phatmass

for aloha:

but as for your friends being turned off by the faith by ewtn, i'd have to say that's their fault not ewtn's granted some of their stuff i can't stay awake for even after my 5th cup of coffee, but what are they doing letting a tv channel turn them away from their faith?

and more importantly if their faith is the same faith in which the apostles healed, performed miracles, cast out demons, and faced certain death, and they still find it boring what more do they want. It makes a great movie 12 special forces troops plus 1 Commander fight to take over the world! It's a story of strength, trust, and betrayal! The promo practically writes itself!

yeah I admit it can sound juvenille but that's only because we've been trained to think that way. I guarantee if more people approached it in the way I just described it the world would change fast.

Edited by Mary's Knight, La

[quote name='Mary's Knight, La' date='Dec 2 2004, 09:29 PM'] i
but as for your friends being turned off by the faith by ewtn, i'd have to say that's their fault not ewtn's granted some of their stuff i can't stay awake for even after my 5th cup of coffee, but what are they doing letting a tv channel turn them away from their faith?

[/quote]
Agreed.

Don't get cable. Did for a while, i've seen a little EWTN. Know it has brought some to the faith.

However, I'll concede what I saw did lack "entertainment value." However, the primary purpose of EWTN is to teach the faith, not be humorous and entertaining.

The rationale of these people turning from the faith because of EWTN seems ridiculous.
"This Catholic TV show is boring.
Therefore, the Catholic Faith is wrong." ????

Seems these people are not serious about the Faith to begin with, and are amking excuses.

The Catholic Faith does not require that anyone watch EWTN! (Of course, we'd spiritually be better off watching it than most of the more "entertaining" garbage we tend to watch.)

I see EWTN as a nourishment for Catholics that are truly seeking God through their church. I did not really pay attention to EWTN until I became devout. I thought it was the most boring stuff ever! Now, I shell out 29 dollars a month for cable just so I could get EWTN. And thats all I watch. And well sometimes discovery when they have the pope and saints and churchy stuff.

Pope St Clement 1

I wish Foxtel would add it to their list of channels so we in West Australia can watch it(the Globecast negotiations appear to have fallen through). I do watch it on the internet but I don't have DSL (only a 56K modem connection) and the internet schedule isn't adjusted to Australian times.

There's a guy in Queensland who, with EWTN permission, makes copies of the programs and send them out for $4 (Aus) plus postage. I think I've received at least 20 videos, each with 3 or 4 shows. He keeps the "ad breaks" in and I love the EWTN "ad breaks".

Overall, I think EWTN is fantastic though the presentation of some shows could be enhanced but then, I guess there's the budget to think of.

Please pray that Foxtel will add EWTN to their channel list.

God bless
Robert

cmotherofpirl

The shows on Scripture with Dr Hahn are very interesting, thew series on the end times was fascinating, and the sung Divine Mercy on Saturdays is awesome.

We JUST got it here in Canada... I haven't seen it and we have our own Catholic TV now called Salt and Light... which I also haven't seen.

It's crazy b/c we weren't allowed EWTN for a long time... something about "bias" which is ridiculous considering AL JAZEERA's been available here for quite some time!

Fox News still hasn't been approved. I'm serious.

Hey God Conquers - you're about to get fair and balanced!

CRTC approves Fox News
By JAMES ADAMS

Globe and Mail Update

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Fox News, the Canada-baiting house organ of the U.S. right, will come to Canadian digital television next year, the federal broadcast regulator ruled Thursday.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission announced its much-anticipated decision on Fox News' famous "fair and balanced" coverage Thursday morning from Ottawa.

Ash Wednesday

I think EWTN is great -- the channel and the website. Sometimes I get confused because I get differing opinions from Catholics on a matter -- from the liberal/heterodox end of the spectrum to the radical traditionalist point of view as to what is "Catholic" and these guys seem to get it just right. They see the forest for the trees without being wishy-washy.

I get a clear concise meaning of what it means to live as a Catholic. Oftentimes when I try to read theology and other matters I get so confused. They help me out a great deal and are one of the greatest things that has happened to the church in recent years.

They had the Teresa movie that I wanted to see! Missed it...
They have some great shows. The phatmass show would be great!
Mother Angelica live was good. Father Benedict Groschel is doing EWTN Live! now.
The super saints is good.

Overall, I agree that for some, EWTN could be boring.

(This next comment is not a swipe.)

For some the Mass is boring.

Just remember, EWTN is not required. It is, however, Spiritually uplifting.
And just once, visist the Shirne of the Most Blessed Sacrament in Hanceville, AL.

Pope St Clement 1

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Dec 4 2004, 12:47 AM'] It's crazy b/c we weren't allowed EWTN for a long time... something about "bias" which is ridiculous considering AL JAZEERA's been available here for quite some time!
[/quote]
Unbelievable !

I'm not surprised, though.

Pope St Clement 1

[quote name='Oik' date='Dec 4 2004, 06:00 AM']
It is, however, Spiritually uplifting.
[/quote]
Amen, Oik !!!