An Old School Catholic Message Board

EWTN

aloha918

I EWTN a good thing?  

174 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love EWTN! i don't get a chance to watch it b/c no one else in my fam wants to :( but i end up watching it when i babysit and the kids are in bed and Mother Angelica is really informative and she's funny when she wants to be :) I'm gonna make my own Cathollic show for teens when i'm older and see if EWTN will accept it, that is, if being a Catholic rock star doesn't work out:) :lol_roll:

White Knight

EWTN is a good thing, its explained alot to me about the Catholic Faith and I dont know how people could be driven away from the faith after hearing the explaination they give which is good. If anything EWTN has attracted me more to the Faith than ever before.

Overall EWTN is a good thing.

photosynthesis

One of my good friends is an atheist and loves to make fun of religious TV. He can sit there for hours and trash Kirk Cameron and that guy with an english accent on TBN, and their "Do you really think you're a good person?" schtick.

But even he won't touch EWTN. He says he can't bring himself to make fun of good-natured priests and religious who have sacrificed marriage and family and material wealth for what they believe in.

One thing I like about EWTN is that no one's yelling at you.. If you watch TBN, you're going to get a lot of heresy, but to top it off they SCREAM it at you.

One of my Media Criticism professors once said, "Television doesn't DO philosophy." But I think he's wrong. I am not bored by a lot of EWTN's theological/informational shows. Maybe I just have a long attention span...but I find that stuff a lot more interesting than some of the musical guests on Life on the Rock... A lot of their entertainment stuff gets really hokey and it makes me ill.

I do like Threshold of Hope, anything with Fr. Benedict Groeschel, Mother Angelica reruns and that show about G. K. Chesterton.

Their news coverage is mediocre when it comes to politics and current affairs. It seems like they only cover church-related news, which they do an awesome job on, but I think it would be cool if they talked more about politics and social issues that relate to the lives of Catholics.

Anyone else think that EWTN should get rid of "Web of Faith?" I mean, what could be more boring than watching two old geezers check their e-mail? Maybe they should get Strong Bad to do it....

I was taken aback when EWTN used the imminent death of JPII as an opportunity to fundraise. In the last hours and in the hours of the conclave, they were making statements like "If you want to continue to see this type of coverage, please send money". Honestly it really ticked me off! I was getting more information from Fox and CNN then I was from EWTN.

Since then I haven't tuned in too much.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Aug 17 2005, 09:20 AM']I was taken aback when EWTN used the imminent death of JPII as an opportunity to fundraise. In the last hours and in the hours of the conclave, they were making statements like "If you want to continue to see this type of coverage, please send money".  Honestly it really ticked me off!  I was getting more information from Fox and CNN then I was from EWTN. 

[right][snapback]687516[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well they REALLY needed the money for that. At the time of the conclave they had to up and fly Raymond Arroyo, Fr. Francis, Fr. Mark, and their ONE AND ONLY television crew to Rome, Italy. That hadn't been in the budget.

For any fans of The Abundant Life wondering why they have been showing rerun after rerun lately, they were going to shoot a season's worth of shows the week of the conclave, but that was cancelled, and the Living His Life Abundantly apostolate was out the money they had spent on plane tickets for guests. Why was it cancelled? Because they only have ONE camera crew. Which was in Rome, not Alabama.

Fox and CNN had more and better coverage because they have FAR more resources.

The only thing that drives me batty on EWTN is that awful blue podium that is on half of the shows. Get a can of paint, for crying out loud. Worst Shade of Blue Ever.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Aug 17 2005, 08:20 AM']I was taken aback when EWTN used the imminent death of JPII as an opportunity to fundraise. In the last hours and in the hours of the conclave, they were making statements like "If you want to continue to see this type of coverage, please send money".  Honestly it really ticked me off!  I was getting more information from Fox and CNN then I was from EWTN. 

[/quote]

How much do you think they had to spend to be in Rome?
They deserve every penny they can fund raise.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Aug 17 2005, 08:20 AM']I was getting more information from Fox and CNN then I was from EWTN.
[/quote]
I know what you mean in some respects. Fox and CNN were also spewing out a lot of garbage though too (example: Fr. Richard P. McBrien was interviewed).

I'm going to miss Msgr. Clark's show. I thought it was entertaining.

In general, EWTN is awesome! :banana:

But I do think Mother Angelica is sometimes lacking in charity....as are all of us I suppose.

I don't get it, but my grandfather (who is a very holy and orthodox deacon) has been accused by little old church ladies for not genuflecting enough because he doesn't genuflect like they do on EWTN. He only genuflects as Church law dictates.....apparently that's not good enough.....

White Knight

i like EWTN Is more real with the Faith than TBN is. TBN, Is very questionable at times. EWTN can be too, but on a much less intensity level.

EWTN Seems to be very much more serious than TBN. TBN Always asks for money, and seem very greedy, and they sing too much I think. Very much. Also there are some preachers I dont agree with on TBN. EWTN, Preaches the Many Truths in One Truth, about the Faith. which is cool, and they seem very much less influeanced about the money. than TBN is.

Edited by White Knight

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Dec 17 2004, 12:50 PM']Try to catch Father Corapi on the catechism or Father Groeschel on the subject of hope.
[right][snapback]454819[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I keep waiting for Father Corapi to say "His momma wears army boots"

:kicking:

EWTN made me learn to say a Hail Mary and pray the rosary when i was thinking of converting and i'm Catholic now, lol:)