Thy Geekdom Come Posted May 31, 2005 Posted May 31, 2005 95 I have a few issues with this exam. First, it doesn't realize that "Traditionalists" aren't 100% Catholics. It treats those who follow Vatican II as if they are less Catholic. Additionally, it implies that preferring vernacular hymns makes a person less Catholic, along with praying personal prayers or quick prayers (an ancient Irish custom). There aren't percentiles for Catholicity...you're either Catholic or you're not.
Aloysius Posted May 31, 2005 Posted May 31, 2005 real traditionalists are 100% Catholic.. I consider myself a traditionalist. you're thinking of schismatic traditionalists anyway, it gages how traditional your Catholocism is. if you hit neo-trad or trad, you're Catholic. otherwise your not. the other levels are just for how traditional you are.
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted May 31, 2005 Posted May 31, 2005 one of the questions was if you thought Vatican II was a bad idea. Dosen't that mean that you are a schismatic if you do not accept Vatican II.
Socrates Posted May 31, 2005 Posted May 31, 2005 You can't take these sorts of tests too seriously. Some questions are about dogma, while others are more about style. And "Traditionalist" is a somewhat vague term. Not all traditionalists are "phishy." The authors, of course, also confuse religious traditionalism with mere nostalgia. It says as a "traditionalist," I like movies like "Bells of St. Marys," etc., while neo-trads like Mel Gibson (himself a rather extreme trad!). I'll take The Passion over that silly 40s carp anyday!
Aloysius Posted May 31, 2005 Posted May 31, 2005 [quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='May 31 2005, 01:51 PM'] one of the questions was if you thought Vatican II was a bad idea. Dosen't that mean that you are a schismatic if you do not accept Vatican II. [/quote] I don't know how that was gauged. actually, if you really look at it-- the NEO-TRAD mark is the one that says "you think Mel Gibson had some good ideas" ... I chose on that option that it was an essentially conservative council that liberals use for all sorts of bad things. now, if that's why I'm 95 instead of a hundred, then I'd take issue with it too. but it's just possible that's why I'm all the way up to 95 and not somewhere lower... I really don't know.
Aloysius Posted May 31, 2005 Posted May 31, 2005 well, I guess I shouldn't have given beliefnet the benefit of the doubt. I answered everything exactly the same except said VII was a mistake, and got 98. ah well... don't take this quizes too seriously.
MC Just Posted May 31, 2005 Posted May 31, 2005 (edited) it didnt say Vatican II was a mistake, it said something like. "there were a lot of abuses after vatican II" which is true, but Vatican II wasnt to blame. Liberals took the documents in the wrong direction. Edited May 31, 2005 by MC Just
Funky_R Posted May 31, 2005 Posted May 31, 2005 76% Neo-traditionalist Sounds about right. I think there should be some changes, on smaller issues, but they should keep to tradition all the way for big issues like they always have.
Mickey's_Girl Posted May 31, 2005 Posted May 31, 2005 [quote name='Socrates' date='May 31 2005, 12:56 PM'] It says as a "traditionalist," I like movies like "Bells of St. Marys," etc., while neo-trads like Mel Gibson (himself a rather extreme trad!). I'll take The Passion over that silly 40s carp anyday! [/quote] HEY HEY! :angry: The Bells of St. Mary's ROCKS! Nuns rule! MG PS. Hey wait: I don't see a nun emoticon. Do we have one? Dust?
Theologian in Training Posted May 31, 2005 Posted May 31, 2005 98% but that was because when they did not have a proper answer I would go for the more traditional answer. The test is clearly biased and I don't know that one can base their fidelity to the Church on biased questions. Just my .02 God Bless
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted May 31, 2005 Posted May 31, 2005 [quote]I chose on that option that it was an essentially conservative council that liberals use for all sorts of bad things. [/quote] put the same thing....
MC Just Posted May 31, 2005 Posted May 31, 2005 [quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='May 31 2005, 06:32 PM'] put the same thing.... [/quote] me too.
Fidei Defensor Posted May 31, 2005 Posted May 31, 2005 [quote name='Qoheleth' date='May 31 2005, 06:43 PM'] 91% traditionalist [/quote] ditto.
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted June 1, 2005 Posted June 1, 2005 make me more catholic please won't you mister...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now