An Old School Catholic Message Board

John-Paul II, kissing the Koran

Didacus

MichaelFilo,

It is with a pinch of sadness that I admit your comments on JPII does hold some truth. Hope as I may I cannot come to understand with good heart the actions of the late pontif.

I ask myself, should my children be watching or not, would I do the same and kiss the Koran? And the reply is no, I would not.

However, by ignorance perhpaps, I insist in the disagreement on your views of muslims and their teachings. I have much to learn on that religion, perhaps a thread dedicated to this is a good idea.

I think it is becoming time for the moderators to lock this current thread. Each to their own hearts will see, and make judgment on the action of JPII. A man so fruitful in inspiring leaves in his wake sentiments much too strong for any resolution to be found on any mere thread.

God bless, and JPII be well with Him.

wasn't this question asked in the Q&A forum?

They had said that it wasn't the Koran at all, as commonly believed, but a Christian Bible from the area.

MichaelFilo

Didacus, it's good to talk about troubling things.

Jmj, it's been brought up several times, however, too many people of considerable Church authority claim it happened. It's not a one person thing.

God bless,
Mikey

[quote name='MichaelFilo' date='Jun 2 2005, 02:09 PM']Didacus, it's good to talk about troubling things.
[/quote]
MichaelFilo,

Yes, this is true.

But one must not loose themselves with exaustion within the troubles discussed. One must step back, return to the peace known to one's self, rest and pray. I believe I have reached this point. I do not believe I will post on this thread anymore, it has been strained long enough for my taste of troubling things.

If I may permit myself a final note, in thought to the muslims in case one day I find myself in the wrong within my beliefs of them:

[i][font="Geneva"]For those who lost their way in life, may they find their way in God.[/font][/i]

Fare thee well, all of you.

I still don't see it though. The Pope was a very intelligent man and the way people are picturing him is as an ignorant person who tried showing unity in a wrong way. I think the Pope must have had some logic to have done this. We know John Paul better than that. I see it as a sign of healing and that instead of burning korans (as in being bitter against their religion... im using symbolism), we embrace them. From the quote above they do indeed worship the same God.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

regardless he shouldn't be kissing the koran. He is Christ on earth. Would Christ kiss the koran? NO. Should we judge the pope? No.

Semperviva

It was confirmed by the Iraqi catholic bishops that it was indeed a Koran and not a Syrian Gospel. However, along the lines of what has already been said and along the lines of 1 corin 20, it seems to me that this situation may initially seem to some to be JP2 "endorsing" Islam, since a kiss implies love, repect and approval, generally, hahaha. However, it does not seem to neccesarily follow that the Holy Father was endorsing Islam. To me I see it more symbolically, as JP2 was a very mystical man and understood the full acting person. The Koran can be seen, at least this is how I saw it, as a symbol of the Moslem man's search for God, and a kiss repsecting, loving and approving the search for God in the heart of the Moslem. The Moslem reveres this text insofar as he sees it as the command of God through Mohammed. I see this as JP2's loving affirmation of the genuine searching for God seen in the fervant devotion of thousands of Moslems (many of whom even highly revere Mary and Jesus). Also, consider the thousands of years of division, death and war between Chrsitians and Moslems. This seems to me to be his attempt to heal with a kiss rather than defend with a sword. Have we even tried to love the Moslem instead of just kill him :ph34r: ?! ^_^ The purpose of JP2's actions had been proven not only to me, but to a Turkish friend, Ali, a Moslem. Talking about Mary with him, they call her Miriam, I reached into my purse to give him a Mary holy card. It turned out I only had Benedict XVI in there. So I gave him that instead. "Is this the old one?? No. Oh." Dissappointedly he accepted the picture of the new pope. I smiled seeing his disappointment. Ali had clearly seen the love of John Paul for his Moslem people and ipso facto, Ali loved and respected him in return. Anyways it just seems that when we take the action OUT of the context of the Moslem world and put it on CNN with a little 2 second blurb--out of context, it becomes JP2's endorsement of Islam, rather than of the Islamic person. ;)

I just love it how people are judging someone who is in Heaven right now, go figure.. this thing has lost its point.. if it ever had one to begin with. perhaps its time to lock it

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='Tony' date='Jun 2 2005, 05:09 PM'] I just love it how people are judging someone who is in Heaven right now, go figure.. this thing has lost its point.. if it ever had one to begin with. perhaps its time to lock it [/quote]
I think that's part of the problem - some people are judging who is and who is not in heaven.

But regardless, it is about time to wrap this one up.

Everyone has made their point, and no one agrees.

It's kind of the same place we were the [i]last[/i] time I closed a thread that led to this subject.

Please do not open another thread just like this one. At least wait until there's been some time for people digest the events of this year.

God Bless.