An Old School Catholic Message Board

Muslim attitudes towards the West

Apotheoun

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Didacus' post='1538997' date='May 23 2008, 10:18 PM']isbn?[/quote]

The citation is an article from Science; it doesn't have an isbn number. The issn no. for the print version is 0036-8075 and online 1095-9203. If you don't have access to Science I could send you a pdf.

The link below is to a children's program called "The Pioneers of Tomorrow," which is broadcast on Islamic television:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZEGsnWZKh8&feature=related"][u]Hamas Mickey Mouse speaks of Islamic supremacy[/u][/url]

CatherineM

I had ancestors fight in the Crusades. I'd like to think they did so for honorable reasons at the time, and not just for aggression. I think we do them a disservice by second guessing with 20/20 hindsight from a much different time, place and culture.

So the word "hat[i]e[/i]" has now been added to the list of things that are screwed around with in peoples posts here at Phatmass.

It is a good thing that I no longer take the discussions here all that seriously.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1540239' date='May 24 2008, 01:17 PM']So the word "hat[i]e[/i]" has now been added to the list of things that are screwed around with in peoples posts here at Phatmass.

It is a good thing that I no longer take the discussions here all that seriously.[/quote]

Yep, it's been that way for awhile. "Ha-te" gets replaced with "don't ha-te, appreciate" and then that doubles and triples whenever someone is quoted. It's really annoying.

abercius24

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1539936' date='May 24 2008, 11:19 AM']The link below is to a children's program called "The Pioneers of Tomorrow," which is broadcast on Islamic television:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZEGsnWZKh8&feature=related"][u]Hamas Mickey Mouse speaks of Islamic supremacy[/u][/url][/quote]

Disgusting propaganda targeting the innocent Middle-Eastern children. Absolutely shameless.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1540176' date='May 24 2008, 02:30 PM']I had ancestors fight in the Crusades. I'd like to think they did so for honorable reasons at the time, and not just for aggression. I think we do them a disservice by second guessing with 20/20 hindsight from a much different time, place and culture.[/quote]

If St. Francis of Assisi supported the Crusades, they must've not been all bad.

The crusades are just a convenient ace for anti-catholic prots to play in order to try and undermine the Church. I would say that 99% of the people who speak about the crusades have not done any homework on the political composition of the time or have any scholastic authority to be leveling judgment against the Church for something that happened 1000 years ago.

Edited by Veridicus

[url="http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/1708.htm"][u]Palestinian Cleric Issa Badwan: The Mahdi Was Born in Palestine Four Years Ago; Muslim Conquest of Rome Is Imminent[/u][/url]

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1540239' date='May 24 2008, 01:17 PM']So the word "hat[i]e[/i]" has now been added to the list of things that are screwed around with in peoples posts here at Phatmass.

It is a good thing that I no longer take the discussions here all that seriously.[/quote]

Don't be so dismissive Apo, many amongst us are truly trying to learn a thing or two, or trying to earn persepctive from those who we know have more knowledge and experience than ourselves.

I live in the northern parts of Canada - believe me, not much else than the internet gives me a chance to exchange with others that follow the Church as a faithful - sad, unfortunate, but true.

Huh?

I'm just talking about how certain words at Phatmass have been added to some computer censoring program, e.g., the words "hat[i]e[/i]" and "d[i]u[/i]st."

Don't read to much into things.

God bless,
Todd

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1544104' date='May 26 2008, 08:15 PM']Huh?

I'm just talking about how certain words at Phatmass have been added to some computer censoring program, e.g., the words "hat[i]e[/i]" and "d[i]u[/i]st."

God bless,
Todd[/quote]

Hey, we have the same name. By the way...I'm not a big fan of islam or excessive phorum censorship.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1537195' date='May 22 2008, 10:03 AM']Well, it took me a while to figure that out. I once thought Dignity/USA and other such groups made pretty good arguments for their positions before settling with the Church. But, without that wandering curiosity, I probably would've never considered Catholicism to begin with. It's much easier to go with what you're given or what your close friends believe, just as it would be easier to consent to the popular opinion that Islam and terrorism are inextricably linked. I'd rather figure it out for myself.[/quote]
I still find it hard that anyone could get "Dignity/USA" confused with the Church's magisterium, but maybe that's just me . . .

And popular pc opinion seems to be that Islam is a "religion of peace," while terrorism is really caused by poverty, Western imperialism, whatever.

[quote]You say later on here that some have worked with moderate Muslims to build resistance against extremists. Are there no imams or other Muslim leaders who speak out against terrorism?[/quote]
I'm sure they're a few, but from what I've heard, this does not happen as commonly as you'd think. I actually heard this from Robert Spencer, who advocates this strategy, along with tough political policy, to combat Islamic extremism. He says most "moderate" Muslim clerics remain more or less silent on violent Jihad, neither actively encouraging it, nor actively opposing it. A loud and firm condemnation of Islamic violence by "moderate" Muslims has been conspiciously absent.

[quote]True, not as extensive perhaps as Islamic terrorism, but anywhere you have a state religion (whether it's Catholicism, Islam, or some Protestant faith), you see similiar forms of persecution.[/quote]
While Madam V, Apotheon, and others have since brought this issue up, I think you really need to study your history.

And much of Islamic terrorism is not state-sponsored. For instance, the Islamic terrorism organized and funded in Saudi Arabia is not government-sponsored, but carried out by private individuals. It has nothing to do with state religion.

[quote]And why is that?[/quote]
For one thing, it's factually false. Promoting or repeating falsehoods out of political correctness is wrong and in reality does no one a favor.

[quote]True, but then that single stat doesn't say a whole lot. Turkey's GDP per capita doesn't include obscenely rich oil families like Saudi Arabia's does.[/quote]
It's you who was arguing that poverty's the cause. And since members of obscenely rich Saudi oil families are masterminding and funding Islamic terrorism, it's a little hard to blame "poverty" for their actions.

[quote]Also, I'm not saying poverty is the main factor, but that it could be one factor among others, including Islam itself. Considering the majority of Muslims are peaceful, and the existence of Christian and Jewish terrorism (however extensive they may be), I have trouble believing Islam is the sole reason people become terrorists. Maybe it's a big reason, but it can't be the only reason.
So you don't think poverty is even a contributing factor?[/quote]
Again, since terrorists like Osama bin Laden are filthy rich, I have trouble seeing poverty as a motivation. It should also be noted that the privileged bin Laden turned to terrorism after studying the Koran and Islam. It would seem his motivations in fact have much to do with Islam, and nothing to do with poverty.

One should also note that the statements of the terrorists themselves talk a lot more about religious reasons than about poverty or economics.

Edited by Socrates

I mentioned a Sociology paper in a previous post that I think you guys should really, really check out about terrorism. Well, its about suicide terrorism specifically, but it is really an eye opener.

It challenges a lot of our misconceptions. Suicide terrorism is not caused by nor particularly correlated with poverty or lack of education. And in the areas where it prominently exists, it isn't particularly radical and is tolerated and even aided by much of the populace.

Edited by Veridicus

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1544104' date='May 26 2008, 08:15 PM']Huh?

God bless,
Todd[/quote]

Sorry, much relieved.

hate (don't hate, appreciate)

dust (the ultra-handsome)

SFD!