An Old School Catholic Message Board

What do you want your religious name to be?

zabbazooey

+

Fun thread!

I haven't read through the other posts yet, but when I was anticipating entering these were my favorites:

1. Sister Jesu Nativitas (Sister Jesus of the Nativity)
2. Sister Monica Helena or vice versa

I didn't discern with a community that used titles :( , but, I love when they do! Like the Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara, how their names make a litany to Mary! :)

I especially like Our Lady of the Snows, Our Lady of Lepanto (of Victory), Our Lady of Loretto, and Tower of Ivory.

franciscanheart

I could have sworn I had posted names I liked... (back when I thought I was called to marriage... or tried to think so. :saint: haha) Is there another thread similar to this one? :think:

Anyway, I really like Sister Mary Thomas or Thomas Marie or Maria Thomas

And now that I speak of it... I know there's one like this. I remember explaining WHY I liked those names..

AlterDominicus

You like Thomas? Which one? I am all for Thomas Aquinas of course I am a big Catholic Education person, I dont mind More. Hehe, but cool names.

AlterDominicus

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='1119342' date='Nov 13 2006, 11:42 PM']
I like Sister Eucharia. It's an old one!
[/quote]

Hehehe, thats one of the new professed at FSGM

Gosh, choosing a religious name is a pretty big deal. I would definitely need allot of time and prayer. Hopefully God would choose for me and let me know, because I don't think I could choose. I tend to lean toward male saints. I don't know why. I would so love to have, St. John Vianney, St. Francis, St. Thomas, St. Anthony, St. Claire, St. Bernadette, St. Faustina, and more. Sister Claire Vianney maybe? hmm. Sister Mary Thomas, sister Anthony Marie, I love them all. I would definitely need some outside help with this decision! God Bless,
-uruviel

be_thou_my_vision

Yes, I agree. My favorite names have changed a million times since I started discerning, so it will probably change. But I think Eucharia is really neat!

HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='uruviel' post='1119345' date='Nov 13 2006, 10:45 PM']
Gosh, choosing a religious name is a pretty big deal. I would definitely need allot of time and prayer. Hopefully God would choose for me and let me know, because I don't think I could choose. I tend to lean toward male saints. I don't know why. I would so love to have, St. John Vianney, St. Francis, St. Thomas, St. Anthony, St. Claire, St. Bernadette, St. Faustina, and more. Sister Claire Vianney maybe? hmm. Sister Mary Thomas, sister Anthony Marie, I love them all. I would definitely need some outside help with this decision! God Bless,
-uruviel
[/quote]
Anthony Maria is beautiful! Of course, they all are, that one just jumped out at me. Another name that seems very common amongst nuns is Annunciata, that name always seems to come up when I am talking to people about nuns, everyone seemed to know one!

Hehe... I haven't thought about this all that much. I would definitely need to pray about it a lot. But, I feel rather drawn to the name Sr. Marie Therese. This reflects my devotion to numerous Carmelite Saints named Teresa (St. Theresa of Avila, St. Teresa Benedicta, but, most of all, St. Therese the Liitle Flower). There are some really beautiful names on here!!

God Bless

Anna

I have been thinking lots about this!! I originally wanted something with Augustine because he is my patron or something with Faustina or John Paul/Karol because they are the two saints (saint to be for our dear papa) that are dearest to me. Seeing as those are all taken at SMME I have been praying about it and this is what came to me.......

Sr. Helena Raphael!!

I know that Raphael has to be part of it...means God has healed and I was healed of cancer and Helena because of the most special person in my life that recently passed away. Anytime I think of what it means to be a true Christian or WWJD I think of Helene. I know we usually take our names after saints but I just know she is in heaven which makes her a saint and so God willing my name will be Sr Helena Raphael :D:

franciscanheart

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1119332' date='Nov 13 2006, 09:14 PM']
You like Thomas? Which one? I am all for Thomas Aquinas of course I am a big Catholic Education person, I dont mind More. Hehe, but cool names.
[/quote]
Saint Thomas Aquinas. :blush: He's such a cool saint.

Madeleva (Magdalen + Eve)
Mary Jordan (after the second Master of the Dominican Order)
Mary Simeon
Anna Simeon
Catherine Jane (of Siena; of Aza (Dominic's mom))
Mary Isaiah

I haven't really given much thoughtto a name at this stage of my discernment,but if I were allowed to choose one , I would like Imelda or Faustina (my favourite saint) :lol:

funny, i was just thinking of this the other day!!

i was thinking Sr. Mary Therese

St. Thérèse de Lisieux has helped me a LOT in my vocation. (she sent me rose petals! :love: ) and, my friend the other day goes, "you little st. therese you! so sure of your vocation, but so much in the way!"

and...the blessed Mother... well... we all just k now she rocks and brings souls to Jesus!! :cool: (everyday when i put my miraculous medal on, i pray "my blessed Mother, Mary, please pray for me today. Keep me free from sin and bring me to Jesus!")

There really are some gorgeous names on here!!

This thread is causing me to remember some of my favorite teachers from back in the day:
Sisters Cyrilla, Rose, Marita, Emanuella, Veronica, Martina, Fidelis. :D:
Maybe someday someone else will receive these names?

Some of the other sisters from the order who taught us back then had unusual names, at least we thought so back then: Fridoline, Allowine, Ewaldine, Seraphine, Ladislaus, Hilaria, Doloretta, and Narcisia. :blink: