An Old School Catholic Message Board

was it rape?

cmotherofpirl

hmm... I don't know. Illegal yes. I know at one time 14 was the min. in the Church to get married. Do I think he should be locked up for 50 years? hell no.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote]"Here in Falls City you have two choices: go get drunk or high and die in a car accident or of an overdose, or go get pregnant," she said. "So which is the wrong choice?"[/quote]
OR you could not do either... :rolleyes:

:maddest:

12?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are these ppl insane? Like they don't know how impressionable teens are? How easy it is to take advantage of them? :maddest: :maddest: :maddest: :maddest:

LOCK him UP for his own good.

I think twelve is not old enough to have freely given consent. Even the worst little twelve year-olds have some semblance of innocence left in them....

howeeever, now that she is fourteen and married and has a child, I don't think it would at all be right to lock him up.

I really think they should leave them be, based on the article. They did the right thing by getting married.

Edited by Totus Tuus

The question here is one of societal norm, rather than intrinsic moral standard.

Marrying a 12 or 13 year old was common in the ancient world. Our Lady is usually assumed to have been that age. Although she was unique (ie, she did not have carnal relations with St. Joseph), other married girls her age would have.

Psychologically, though, a 14 year old is drastically different today than they would have been in the ancient world.

Edited by Era Might

What a sad thing for that little girl.

being used and not even knowing it and thinking that's normal.

it's a SAD tragedy. Even more sad that some think it's okay since they got married. It's horrific that a man preyed on her and is allowed to do so and even supported for his action.

I need to go pray.

I say, statutory rape should not be prosecuted except at the behest of either the victim or the victim's legal guardian.

The victim does not seem interested in prosecuting him. As she is married she has no legal guardian other than her husband, so there can be no prosecution.

That is how the prosecution ought to look at it. Marriage is more sacred than the law, and the right of a married couple to both procreate and provide for the support of their children should be held above any law to the contrary.

I question the motives of the husband. Why would a 20 year old be dating a 12 year old? Were there no eligible women his age? Though in this situation, I think marriage is the best thing. Better than him abandoning her and leaving her to raise her child by herself with no help.

[quote]What people don't realize, too, is that Matt is not emotionally 22. He's not mature like other young men his age are, so he is really at the same level of maturity as Crystal even though there are those years between them."[/quote]

All the more reason to keep this man away from your daughter!!

Holy cow!! 20 years old with a 12 year old. Not good. Not good at all.

And, if he has the mentality that she has (like her mom says), than neither can have a valid marriage, right?

This makes me want to throw up.

Maybe he doesn't belong in jail, but he belongs in a mental institution. :maddest:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Sep 13 2005, 09:08 PM']I know at one time 14 was the min. in the Church to get married.
[right][snapback]722342[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
This hasn't changed. But while it mentions 14 years old, it actually says she must be past her fourteenth year, in other words 15 or older.
But the canon also says that the local practice should conform to the cultural and legal norms of the area.