Didacus Posted July 8, 2007 Author Posted July 8, 2007 One must admit that an avatar cannot be properly affixed unless it shows in one respect or other the person's personality. And originality certainly is key to catching attention. Perhaps Laudate will grace us with his avatar sometime soon? *audience pauses and holds breath* But for now let's go to one of our sponsors. *audience releaves breath and claps lightly*
Didacus Posted July 8, 2007 Author Posted July 8, 2007 *A WORD FROM DIDACUS.CORP, THE FRIENDLY TAKE-OVER TYPE OF PEOPLE* [size=6][color="#FF0000"]YOU ARE UNDER OUR CONTROL YOU ARE UNDER OUR CONTROL YOU ARE UNDER OUR CONTROL YOU ARE UNDER OUR CONTROL YOU ARE UNDER OUR CONTROL YOU ARE UNDER OUR CONTROL YOU ARE UNDER OUR CONTROL YOU ARE UNDER OUR CONTROL[/color][/size] pick up your free T-shirt at the coat check. [color="#4B0082"][i][font="Palatino Linotype"][size=1]Didacus.corp - we're serious about taking over the world.[/size][/font][/i][/color] Now back with some more avatalk.
Didacus Posted July 9, 2007 Author Posted July 9, 2007 Back with some more Avatalk, and a surprise visit from one of our upmost favorites; [size=5][color="#0000FF"]DUDETTE![/color][/size] *audience goes wild and cheers continuously for 5.3 minutes - a phatmass/avatalk record* Welcome Dudette, and please tell us about your new avatar. We're all listening (well, actually reading, but you get the picture).
tojo Posted July 9, 2007 Posted July 9, 2007 *starts cheering for Dudette again, loudly... and much to his chagrin is the only one to do so.*
Didacus Posted July 9, 2007 Author Posted July 9, 2007 Tomas! A little late but here nonetheless *crowd cheers and laughs* New avatar no less, and what about it? Why the change? The change for the better or the worse? Tell us your story.
tojo Posted July 9, 2007 Posted July 9, 2007 [quote name='Didacus' post='1319009' date='Jul 8 2007, 08:13 PM']*crowd cheers and laughs* New avatar no less, and what about it? Why the change? The change for the better or the worse? Tell us your story.[/quote] Well, I took a hiatus from PM and only returned recently, and discovered I didn't have an avatar. At the moment I'm "trying on" different ones to figure out what I want. Lately I've been more drawn to our Lady and the Christ Child, and I've always loved the Blessed Sacrament, so I thought I would give this image of Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament a try.
Didacus Posted July 9, 2007 Author Posted July 9, 2007 Well let me be the first to say it fits you well Tomas. I suppose you are trying on new avatars to try and best fit you to try to best fit what you want to share with others?
philosophette Posted July 9, 2007 Posted July 9, 2007 (edited) *breaks in with a question* Do you ever just feel like your Avatar no longer fits? Like you got too fat for it and it kinda give you phorum love handles? *darts eyes around the room* Ok... maybe its just me. Edited July 9, 2007 by philosobrat
tojo Posted July 9, 2007 Posted July 9, 2007 [quote name='Didacus' post='1319016' date='Jul 8 2007, 08:22 PM']Well let me be the first to say it fits you well Tomas. I suppose you are trying on new avatars to try and best fit you to try to best fit what you want to share with others?[/quote] I guess so, that and just to find a good picture for others to associate with me.
tojo Posted July 9, 2007 Posted July 9, 2007 [quote name='Didacus' post='1319016' date='Jul 8 2007, 08:22 PM']Well let me be the first to say it fits you well Tomas. I suppose you are trying on new avatars to try and best fit you to try to best fit what you want to share with others?[/quote] I guess so, that and just to find a good picture for others to associate with me.
Didacus Posted July 9, 2007 Author Posted July 9, 2007 [quote name='philosobrat' post='1319031' date='Jul 8 2007, 07:28 PM']*breaks in with a question* Do you ever just feel like your Avatar no longer fits? Like you got too fat for it and it kinda give you phorum love handles? *darts eyes around the room* Ok... maybe its just me. [/quote] I think this is an excellent question, and welcome to the show philosobrat. What does make someone finally decide to change avatars? And what would bring someone to keep the same avatar and not change at all?
Sojourner Posted July 9, 2007 Posted July 9, 2007 I am subject to whim, and whim alone. I choose something I like at the moment.
philosophette Posted July 9, 2007 Posted July 9, 2007 [quote name='Didacus' post='1319038' date='Jul 8 2007, 08:31 PM']I think this is an excellent question, and welcome to the show philosobrat. What does make someone finally decide to change avatars? And what would bring someone to keep the same avatar and not change at all?[/quote] I suppose I could put in my 2 cents for my own question...... ........ For the last month I had a Don Bosco avatar.... but yesterday I changed to Thomas Merton at the monastery door because in 26 days I am entering the convent. It also is significant because Merton lead me back to the Faith. So for me, changing avatars is a symbolic gesture. In terms of keeping the same avatar, perhaps it is a sense of stability and identity?
Didacus Posted July 9, 2007 Author Posted July 9, 2007 Very good comment philo, anyone else on this line? Terra Firma goes with the whim, and its taken her to cutness, what will she have as an avatar next week? Tune in to find out.
MIKolbe Posted July 9, 2007 Posted July 9, 2007 This show is better than Oprah.. and it hasn't made me cry...yet.
Didacus Posted July 9, 2007 Author Posted July 9, 2007 [quote name='MIkolbe' post='1319072' date='Jul 8 2007, 07:55 PM']This show is better than Oprah.. and it hasn't made me cry...yet. [/quote] All things are possible. Why don't you just sit up front and open up. Let us know the real you, and how the you fits into your avatar?
MIKolbe Posted July 9, 2007 Posted July 9, 2007 Though one may not see any similarities between St. Max Kolbe and the matrix (more specifically Neo), there are. Both, in the end, willingly give their lives freely for others. I like the Matrix movies, and see a great similarity (though overly gnostic) to the Pascal Mystery. The 16670 is the number that was tattooed onto St. Kolbe's arm when he was in Auschwitz. It reminds me of the stain and realness of the truly evil. The signature has a dual meaning to me: 1) it is reminiscent of St. John the Baptist's proclamation to 'Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths.' (as Morpheus is somewhat of a John the Baptist figure searching his whole life for the One) and 2) a mesh of faith (knowing the path) and works (walking the path) There is INDEED a difference, yet both are needed. The location 'where there is no spoon' reminds me that one of the devil's goals is to convince us that he does not exist. This overtly gnostic utterance is profoundly Decartes-ian and gathers sheavings of Buddism. In the end, it reminds me to search for truth in God's revelations, not solely in man's proclaimations. Indeed, there is a spoon, and there is a devil. The title, is from the first time Neo met the Oracle. Somewhat of a Doubting Thomas (and his name is Thomas) meeting the cryptic oracle of Delphi. It is a play on predestination, and a humorous one for the oracle. My favorite quote from the Matrix movies comes from Revolutions. It struck me as it was on HBO during Holy Week, after i just watched The Passion.. it reminded me of the Agony in the Garden. I am SURE the dialouge did NOT play out this way.. but i saw similarities.... it is below AGENT SMITH - Why, Mr. Anderson ? Why do you do it ? Why get up ? Why keep fighting ? Do you believe you're fighting for something ? For more than your survival ? Can you tell me what it is ? Do you even know ? Is it freedom ? Or truth ? Perhaps peace ? Yes ? No ? Could it be for love ? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. The temporary constrects of a feeble human intellect trying to deperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Anderson ? Why ? Why do you persist ?! NEO- Because I choose to. oh, and i like tacos, so very tasty and good for you,, and the Red Sox. That is all.
tojo Posted July 9, 2007 Posted July 9, 2007 I like tacos, so very tasty and good for you, too, but I'm more of a Tigers fan, tho the Red Sox are also cool.
Didacus Posted July 9, 2007 Author Posted July 9, 2007 Can't thank you enough for your comments MIkolbe. An avatar is a message in itself, a window into someone's thoughts. It is what one sees in the world, and what they want reflected towards the world. Sometimes they aim simply to make others laugh, but always, there is something more in an avatar than a simple image or few words. As MIkolbe expressed, it can link past with present, and form an expression of a notable analogy of saintlyness that one can find in everyday life. It is important every now and again to discuss our respectful avatars as this is a means to learn about others, ourselves and the world we live in. Avatars; simple pictures that can tell a thousand words, and everyone of them precious and important. Signing off, this is Didacus, from Didacus.corp. See you next time on Avatalk. Take care of yourselves, and each other. And pick up your free T-shirts on the way out. (next week, maybe we'll have tacos, so very tasty and good for you,!)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now