An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey all you mothers

Lil Red

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1133163' date='Dec 1 2006, 02:42 PM']Wow! Christmas? That's really fast![/quote]yeah, i don't think it'll happen, but you never know, right?

IcePrincessKRS

Yeah, you never know. :) I'm hoping to have my house sold by Christmas, but I don't think everything will be finalized by then becuase we have to have the land surveyed and the lawyer said that it looks like all the surveyers are really busy right now (for some weird reason they're all weeks behind schedule), she's trying to see what she can arrange for us, though.

Anyway, I'll be praying for your house-hunting-buying!

homeschoolmom

All things being equal (and by that I mean "doable") get the bigger house now. You don't want to have to move again in a few years. It's easy to quickly outgrow a two-bedroom.

On the other hand, it's easy to quickly out grow a house of any size, actually. I don't think I've met too many people who, when showing off their new houses say, "Oh, here's the extra room. There's absolutely nothing in it. We'll probably just board up the door." People tend to fill up their houses to full capacity.

(sorry, I'm a little tired... I'm still in declutter mode. <_< )

we're going to be looking inside three houses today, but we did 'drive bys' this weekend.

okay, so here's a question. the three bedroom house is one house in from a very busy street and across from a laudromat that has questionable people going there. my hubby said he would be uncomfortable leaving me and baby home alone.

the other two houses are certainly smaller, and each only has 2 bedrooms, but they are in better neighborhoods.

so i'm thinking - go with the smaller ones?

homeschoolmom

I'd go with the smaller, nicer neighborhood home over a bigger house in a neighborhood I wasn't comfortable in...

homeschoolmom

They can be great if the market is good for them. Sometimes (in some locations) they are harder to sell. I think for a small family, they can be a good start.

yeah, it's 3 bedrooms, with a decent amount of square footage. so that's good.

when you go look at a house, what should you look for? what questions should you ask the realtor?

homeschoolmom

Well, you want a good layout. Having laundry in the basement and bedrooms on the second floor (for example) gets really old if you're washing tons of baby laundry. You can never have too much storage space....

Question about the furnace, and roof. How long ago was each replaced ... Those are high ticket items, and you'd hate to have to fork out money for a new furnace right away.

Look at what other houses in the area have sold for, so you know if the asking price is too high.

and lastly, go with your gut. I knew I wanted my house when we pulled in the driveway. It ended up being the best decision we made, even if it is a bit smaller than we originally wanted.

• 2 weeks later...