Lil Red Posted November 3, 2006 Author Posted November 3, 2006 yeah, i thought so too. plus i thought only priests could give blessings, right?
homeschoolmom Posted November 3, 2006 Posted November 3, 2006 Yeah, that's my understanding. Why do so many people feel the need to act like priests?
prose Posted November 3, 2006 Posted November 3, 2006 Anyone can give blessings. Haven't you ever gone up for communion and not partaken? Then the Extraordinary Minister can give you a blessing. I think it was appropriate to belly bless Afterall, they bless children, and isn't that a child in there? (Sorry to take the other side )
homeschoolmom Posted November 3, 2006 Posted November 3, 2006 Okay... theology and liturgical practice aside... It's bad form for this reason: If people start making a practice of blessing strangers' bellies. at some point some non-pregnant woman is going to get her belly fat blessed. Reminds me of a conversation I witnessed in college between a fellow student and a professor. The prof (a sweet little old Cuban lady) asked the student, "Oh, are you expecting?" To which the student replied, "No, just fat."
Lil Red Posted November 3, 2006 Author Posted November 3, 2006 [quote name='prose' post='1109762' date='Nov 3 2006, 08:23 AM']Anyone can give blessings. Haven't you ever gone up for communion and not partaken? Then the Extraordinary Minister can give you a blessing. I think it was appropriate to belly bless Afterall, they bless children, and isn't that a child in there? (Sorry to take the other side )[/quote]well, my first hesitation is that i'm not comfortable with strangers touching my belly, nevermind the blessing. and my second hesitation is that i was told EMHC may not bless anyone. i'll see if i can find documentation. [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1109767' date='Nov 3 2006, 08:27 AM']Okay... theology and liturgical practice aside... It's bad form for this reason: If people start making a practice of blessing strangers' bellies. at some point some non-pregnant woman is going to get her belly fat blessed. Reminds me of a conversation I witnessed in college between a fellow student and a professor. The prof (a sweet little old Cuban lady) asked the student, "Oh, are you expecting?" To which the student replied, "No, just fat."[/quote]yeah, there's that too
Lil Red Posted November 3, 2006 Author Posted November 3, 2006 [quote name='prose' post='1109762' date='Nov 3 2006, 08:23 AM'] Anyone can give blessings. Haven't you ever gone up for communion and not partaken? Then the Extraordinary Minister can give you a blessing. I think it was appropriate to belly bless Afterall, they bless children, and isn't that a child in there? (Sorry to take the other side ) [/quote]i found this from ewtn.com and am searching for more documentation: [quote]Eucharistic minister can't give a blessing? Question from on 02-17-2005: Are Eucharistic Ministers not allowed to give a blessing to someone they know is "without a doubt" not Catholic, while withholding Communion? (Does the blessing have to be from the priest?) In a recent answer, you told the poster who is a Minister of Communion what to say to (without a doubt) a non-Catholic while withholding communion and you included in your answer "...or a blessing...". I thought ANYone could come up for a blessing, Catholic or not? Please explain your answer. Thank You! Answer by Colin B. Donovan, STL on 03-21-2005: [b]Extraordinary Ministers of Communion have no power to bless, ever. So, the issue of Catholic versus non-Catholic is irrelevant to the matter in their case. A priest or deacon could choose to gvie a blessing if they wanted.[/b] I might note that in recent development, Cardinal Rigalli of Philadelphia instructed even the clergy not to continue this practice. The liturgical blessing is sufficient without individual private blessings in the Mass. I think that as customs go the blessing by the clergy at communion of non-communicants, especially children, is relatively harmless, but that the Cardinal's decision is absolutely correct liturgically.[/quote]
IcePrincessKRS Posted November 3, 2006 Posted November 3, 2006 ^^^ Thats whats always been my understanding about blessings. I would have been a little bothered about it if an EMHC had blessed my belly, too... touched if it had been the priest, but coming from a layperson it just doesn't seem right.
Lil Red Posted November 3, 2006 Author Posted November 3, 2006 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1109784' date='Nov 3 2006, 08:54 AM']^^^ Thats whats always been my understanding about blessings. I would have been a little bothered about it if an EMHC had blessed my belly, too... touched if it had been the priest, but coming from a layperson it just doesn't seem right.[/quote]exactly although having the priest do it might have freaked me out a little too
Lil Red Posted November 14, 2006 Author Posted November 14, 2006 so i think we are settled on names. what do you all think? (not that it really matters, ) for a boy: dominic axel (dominic for st. dominic and axel was my dh's grandfather's name) for a girl: cecelia helen (both are saints names; cecelia for my grandmother cecil and helen for my other grandmother)
Balthazor Posted November 14, 2006 Posted November 14, 2006 axel is a cool name..... So is dominic..... You better have a boy because he will be like the coolest kid with that name! Dominic Axel
homeschoolmom Posted November 14, 2006 Posted November 14, 2006 My friend just named her baby Cecelia...
Lil Red Posted November 14, 2006 Author Posted November 14, 2006 [quote name='Balthazor' post='1120106' date='Nov 14 2006, 04:16 PM']axel is a cool name..... So is dominic..... You better have a boy because he will be like the coolest kid with that name! Dominic Axel[/quote]it's a very strong, masculine name that's why i like it [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1120111' date='Nov 14 2006, 04:21 PM']My friend just named her baby Cecelia...[/quote]i know, it's pretty popular right now, but my dh and i like 'celia' as a nickname instead of 'cece'
homeschoolmom Posted November 14, 2006 Posted November 14, 2006 [quote name='Lil Red' post='1120113' date='Nov 14 2006, 06:23 PM'] i know, it's pretty popular right now, but my dh and i like 'celia' as a nickname instead of 'cece' [/quote]
IcePrincessKRS Posted November 14, 2006 Posted November 14, 2006 I like them both. : Dominic Axel is definately a very cool sounding name. Helen was my grandmother's name, too. I'd have considered using it this time but it was Matt's turn to be the main "name picker" and he opted for naming the baby after his mom (I did offer it as a suggestion since Adrienne's middle name is after my mom).
Lil Red Posted November 15, 2006 Author Posted November 15, 2006 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1120119' date='Nov 14 2006, 04:32 PM'][/quote]: [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1120123' date='Nov 14 2006, 04:38 PM']I like them both. : Dominic Axel is definately a very cool sounding name. Helen was my grandmother's name, too. I'd have considered using it this time but it was Matt's turn to be the main "name picker" and he opted for naming the baby after his mom (I did offer it as a suggestion since Adrienne's middle name is after my mom).[/quote]my dh was being a booger. he had suggested the name 'oren' and i started to like it. then i ask him about it, and he's like, 'yeah, i don't like that name'
IcePrincessKRS Posted November 15, 2006 Posted November 15, 2006 If my baby is a boy we're naming him Damien Blaise. (Charlotte Kathleen for a girl.) So far I'm the only one who's been doing alot of mind changing---every pregnancy I've changed my mind on boy names. Once we pick one I'm set for that pregnancy, but before that... This pregnancy has just been totally different in alot of ways for me. When I had Adrienne we had her names picked out practically the day we found out. I had Genevieve's names picked out before I ever conceived her. It took forever this time, we didn't have both sets of names picked out until about a month ago. And usually I'm so decisive! lol
Lil Red Posted November 15, 2006 Author Posted November 15, 2006 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1120168' date='Nov 14 2006, 05:18 PM'] If my baby is a boy we're naming him Damien Blaise. (Charlotte Kathleen for a girl.) So far I'm the only one who's been doing alot of mind changing---every pregnancy I've changed my mind on boy names. Once we pick one I'm set for that pregnancy, but before that... This pregnancy has just been totally different in alot of ways for me. When I had Adrienne we had her names picked out practically the day we found out. I had Genevieve's names picked out before I ever conceived her. It took forever this time, we didn't have both sets of names picked out until about a month ago. And usually I'm so decisive! lol[/quote]yeah, we finally decided about 2 weeks ago on the boy's name. we've had the girl's name almost from the day we found out. nice names!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now