An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hair Trauma

franciscanheart

VeniteAdoremus
:offtopic: All these veils make me wonder again... how do you tell the difference between a male novice and a male professed?

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1156240' date='Jan 4 2007, 07:51 PM']
:offtopic: All these veils make me wonder again... how do you tell the difference between a male novice and a male professed?
[/quote]
How can you tell the difference between a deacon and a priest when they're both wearing a collar?

How can you tell the difference between a brother and a father when they're both in their habit?

YOU CAN'T! I just guess and risk looking stupid either way.

[/quote]
Well for my bro's the MFVA's, the professed wear hoods while the novices don't ^_^

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1156240' date='Jan 4 2007, 05:51 PM']
[/quote]
oo a male question,
well that depends on the Community, up here, no one wheres habits,clerics rarely except for the local Benedictine monks on their property..so you cant tell who is what of anyone..BUT

Benedictines, many, will not receive the [b]leather[/b] Belt, until professed, or they will have a much shorter scapular as a Novice.. a
lso in monastic Choir, novice , professed and solemn professed would have different types of Capes, Cowls .
Franciscans, some, will have the sort of scapular thing, loose, then sown down later, at profession..
in general, i find no matter what mens Community most have a belt or scapular diffrence..thats how one tells...
yet some Communities, like the Brothers of Bethlehem,& the Assumption and St Bruno, their is no telling...
some 'traditional' Franciscans, shave their heads on profession
its all as you see , particular to a Congregations traditions and customary...

yet! in my former Community in France there was no significant difference in looks between Novice and professed, Clergy or Brother..so just eeveryone was Brother..period.

in the Mercy of Christ Jesus, Emile-James,

in the Eastern Church (Orthodox-Byz- cath ) it relates to their hats.. and cowls, but though they dont have what we would call Novices per se...:)
the Brother Monk, second from left-Novice John-Maria, brother beside him, 3rd from left,(Br Basil) professed OSB,
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/136/346059765_28ffaaf340.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/147/346059759_974a2e834c_o.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/346059763_b255f63ec0_o.jpg[/img]

Edited by Emile James

[/quote]
Whoa, double post.

Edited by Totus Tuus

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1156253' date='Jan 4 2007, 06:30 PM']
Well for my bro's the MFVA's, the professed wear hoods while the novices don't ^_^
[/quote]
hello, excuse my ignorance..what does MFVA mean, or who are they?
Thanks, Blessings, E-J.

Edited by Emile James

[quote name='Emile James' post='1156260' date='Jan 4 2007, 08:34 PM']
hello, excuse my ignorance..what does MFVA mean, or who are they?
Thanks, Blessings, E-J.
[/quote]

Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word. Mother Angelica's boys.

[quote name='Emile James' post='1156255' date='Jan 4 2007, 06:31 PM']
oo a male question,
well that depends on the Community, up here, no one wheres habits,clerics rarely except for the local Benedictine monks on their property..so you cant tell who is what of anyone..BUT

Benedictines, many, will not receive the [b]leather[/b] Belt, until professed, or they will have a much shorter scapular as a Novice.. a
lso in monastic Choir, novice , professed and solemn professed would have different types of Capes, Cowls .
Franciscans, some, will have the sort of scapular thing, loose, then sown down later, at profession..
in general, i find no matter what mens Community most have a belt or scapular diffrence..thats how one tells...
yet some Communities, like the Brothers of Bethlehem,& the Assumption and St Bruno, their is no telling...
some 'traditional' Franciscans, shave their heads on profession
its all as you see , particular to a Congregations traditions and customary...

yet! in my former Community in France there was no significant difference in looks between Novice and professed, Clergy or Brother..so just eeveryone was Brother..period.

in the Mercy of Christ Jesus, Emile-James,

in the Eastern Church (Orthodox-Byz- cath ) it relates to their hats.. and cowls, but though they dont have what we would call Novices per se...:)
the Brother Monk, second from left-Novice John-Maria, brother beside him, 3rd from left,(Br Basil) professed OSB,
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/136/346059765_28ffaaf340.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/147/346059759_974a2e834c_o.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/346059763_b255f63ec0_o.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
/

franciscanheart

:offtopic:
[/quote]
:blush: sorry.

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1156240' date='Jan 4 2007, 07:51 PM']All these veils make me wonder again... how do you tell the difference between a male novice and a male professed?
[/quote]
most of the time i've found you can tell in the scapulars that they wear. if not, just ask! :lol:

edit to say: I just realized that today's Oprah show was the one mentioned earlier in this thread. I was thinking of a completely different episode. But I caught a few minutes of today's.. which was pretty interesting.

Edited by hugheyforlife

puellapaschalis

At my [url="http://www.buckfast.org.uk/"]favourite Benedictine House[/url] they wear a cloth band round the tunic rather than a belt. A postulant wears a black cassock, and receives the habit at investiture as normal. However, in choir a novice doesn't wear the monastic cowl (great big black flowing thing that can look quite intimidating in a quantity of a dozen or so at twenty to six in the morning in a dark, dark abbey church...ok, enough of my weird teenage experiences), which is given at first profession.

But then Benedictines are notorious for taking the word "autonomous" and running with it :wacko: :D: One of the houses in the EBC has a different way of fastening the hood at the neck - just to be different from the rest, I suspect :detective:

Trying desperately to prevent this post from being totally :offtopic: ... Buckfast dropped the tonsure after WW2 (I think), and now the monks take it in turns to be (play?) barber every few weeks or something. Playing the game of "guess who's been cutting hair today" whilst the community are processing out of Vespers is [i]muchly[/i] amusing. It can be quite hit and miss sometimes.

Love and prayers,

PP

VeniteAdoremus

hughey: I was referring to my own post, not yours :)

Thanks all! I like the "guess the order" and "guess the ordination" game very much. One of my favourite activities on Catholic Youth day ;)

PP: I guess we'll be able to see it "life in action" when we visit BF next year, won't we? :)

puellapaschalis

1. We're going to Buckfast again?
2. You're going to make me wait until 2008? :P:

Tee hee.

Ok. HAIR!

Mine is, as usual, plaited, wrapped up in a bun and covered by my kerchief today. What's yours like?

Love and prayers,

PP

VeniteAdoremus

Mine's in a ponytail with a big flower on the elastic, but it was loose for a while because it had to dry!

franciscanheart

I have bed head this morning - we'll see what my boss says. It was either come in with puffy curly hair that can't be put up (not that it can really be put up when it's straight) or be 45 minutes late.

:idontknow: I'm hoping she'll prefer bed head.

Thanks for sharing, I'll look into this, for Iwant my hair to really go help someone!

[quote name='shortnun' post='1155895' date='Jan 4 2007, 08:23 AM']
Yes, I have heard similar stories. There is no guarantee your hair is donated. Ironoically... there is an Oprah commercial on the tv right now where women get their hair cut and donated. (Freaky!)

I did, however, find this site for [b][url="http://www.pantene.com/en_US/beautifullengths/index.jsp"]Beautiful Lengths[/url][/b]. It might be an alternative....
[/quote]