An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hair Trauma

franciscanheart

Lauren, that is a beautiful tradition at OLAM and might I ask, what do they do with it after the investment? :saint:

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1155918' date='Jan 4 2007, 10:02 AM']
I like what St. Therese did with hers :blush: They arranged it in a frame with flowers. At OLAM, the hair that gets cut is placed on a silver tray and put on the altar for the day of the sisters Investment- to symbolize that it is a gift to Our Lord.
[/quote]

Edited by TeresaAvila

HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1156575' date='Jan 5 2007, 08:45 AM']
Buckfast dropped the tonsure after WW2 (I think), and now the monks take it in turns to be (play?) barber every few weeks or something. Playing the game of "guess who's been cutting hair today" whilst the community are processing out of Vespers is [i]muchly[/i] amusing. It can be quite hit and miss sometimes.
[/quote]

That really made me laugh, how often do you go there?

I flat-ironed my hair today and put it in a pigtial. I really want to go it out long enough to briad.

Incarnate Word Postulant

In our archives we have a few samples of what the Sisters did with the hair from their investment ceremony. There's a framed "hair bouquet" and I mean it literally. The Sisters would twist the hair and make it look like flowers, sometimes adding little flowers or beads. When I get a chance I'll try to take a picture from our archives

When I was growing my hair out, I'd get a cut once every 2-3 months, to keep it in shape.

That worked. I got it to a bit below shoulder length in about 5 years. My hair is curly so a straight bob won't work well -- so because its layered it does take a bit to grow out.

But now that I'm back to short hair -- it is a blessing. I get a cut every 4 weeks, and its much more manageable.

But ... I had a bad hair day on the 23rd of December. The hair stylist (my normal one) really didn't do a good job. It looks pretty bad -- one of the priest in the community I've been visiting has actually made a comment like "what's up with your hair", to which I responded "its a really bad cut".

Oh well, maybe by another 2 weeks it'll be long enough to try to do something to correct it.

So I'll live with it for now ... I may start to look into using gel to try to get the stuff that sticks up to kind of stay in place.

-- Carmen

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1156710' date='Jan 5 2007, 02:40 PM']
My hair has just never done what I wanted it to :doh:
[/quote]

AAAAAAAMEN to that!! haha :)

last nite, i was in the Crypt of the Cathedral for our youth ministry and the girl next to me leaned over and goes,
"hey, i just realized that if your hair caught on fire, no one would notice!"
later in the evening i flipped my head down into my lap and my hair went too...almost into the candle. everyone screamed, "YOUR HAIR!" :wacko:

a few weeks ago, this was a conversation between me and a priest (Padre Paulo from the Padre Paulo fanclub on the lame board):
Fr. Paul: You should grow your hair out really long for like five years.
me: Why?
Fr. Paul: Cos then it'd be really big and it coudl be cast in a Hebrew play as the Burning Bush!
:topsy:

franciscanheart

[quote name='stuckinamo' post='1156753' date='Jan 5 2007, 02:26 PM']
AAAAAAAMEN to that!! haha :)

last nite, i was in the Crypt of the Cathedral for our youth ministry and the girl next to me leaned over and goes,
"hey, i just realized that if your hair caught on fire, no one would notice!"
later in the evening i flipped my head down into my lap and my hair went too...almost into the candle. everyone screamed, "YOUR HAIR!" :wacko:

a few weeks ago, this was a conversation between me and a priest (Padre Paulo from the Padre Paulo fanclub on the lame board):
Fr. Paul: You should grow your hair out really long for like five years.
me: Why?
Fr. Paul: Cos then it'd be really big and it coudl be cast in a Hebrew play as the Burning Bush!
[/quote]

My hair is long straight with some wave, dark brown and I usually wear it in a long braid or up in a bun.

God Bless You!

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1156594' date='Jan 5 2007, 09:23 AM']
Ok. HAIR!

Mine is, as usual, plaited, wrapped up in a bun and covered by my kerchief today. What's yours like?

Love and prayers,

PP
[/quote]

DiscerningSoul

Hey anyone wear a vail to Mass? or even anytime or all the time.
and of course we know Sisters wear vails :)

I want to start wearing one, but I know where I go except for St.Joe's no one wears one. I have a white triangle one that covers my head.

What color and how big? :idontknow:

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1157093' date='Jan 5 2007, 09:09 PM']
Hey anyone wear a vail to Mass? or even anytime or all the time.
and of course we know Sisters wear vails :)

I want to start wearing one, but I know where I go except for St.Joe's no one wears one. I have a white triangle one that covers my head.

What color and how big? :idontknow:
[/quote]

I wear a mantilla, yes! The women in my family all share veils... we have a lot of different colors. I got some in Spain that were silver and yellow (respectively). But generally black and white are the most common colors. It doesn't matter what color you wear. Some people like to observe the tradition of wearing a white veil if they are unmarried and a black one if they are, but I don't really know anyone who does that anymore.

Go for it! Even if you're the only one, you could start a wonderful trend. In case of confrontation, make sure you can explain why you're wearing it; I like to tell people who ask me that it is a good way to imitate Our Lady.

Best wishes ^_^

Lauren

franciscanheart

I wear a white one because I am not married. (now you know someone, Lauren!) It is long (about midway down my back). I needed it long to cover my hair - and I liked the long ones better anyway.

I tend not to wear mine at my home parish for a couple of reasons. But I wear it in adoration and at other churches. :)

franciscanheart

[quote name='Emile James' post='1157149' date='Jan 5 2007, 10:10 PM']
hmmm could be an interestng read...
[img]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0385505884.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
I've seen that book!! :D: Phatcatholic and I flipped through it together for a few moments. ^_^

puellapaschalis

I wear a white mantilla at Sunday Mass (Lauren - Person No. 2!), and my mother wears a black one when I can convince her to go to Mass. It elicits some subtle grins from our parish priest here :cool:

Love and prayers,

PP