An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do We Attrack More Protestants To Phatmass.

thessalonian

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1263015' date='May 2 2007, 09:48 PM']What an honest man you are Katholikos! :ohno:[/quote]

you back?

Sojourner

[quote name='prose' post='1263008' date='May 2 2007, 10:39 PM']I think that protestants will come as time passes. It really is a great site. I don't think there is anything that we can, or necessarily should, do to attract them.

Dust has built it. They will come.[/quote]
You're totally right.

I think this is evidenced by the fact that we already have several regulars who are becoming part of the pham, not just participating on the debate board.

Katholikos

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1263015' date='May 2 2007, 11:48 PM']What an honest man you are Katholikos! :ohno:[/quote]

Hi, FT

I thought you had left us ??????????

Ring the bells, tacos, so very tasty and good for you, for everyone! The prodigal has returned!

I should have put /joke/ and a couple of smiley faces before and after that comment for the benefit of fundamentalists who interpret every word literally. :topsy:

Loco Likos :wacko:

I could create a secondary account and pretend to be a protestant again..

heck, I might try it this summer..muwahahaha

yea, that might be fun

Edited by Revprodeji

Archaeology cat

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1262835' date='May 3 2007, 12:47 AM']How do we attack more Protestants? Why, with the holy hand grenade of antioch of course![/quote]

Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out

[quote]Send a bucket of tacos, so very tasty and good for you, to the headquarters of the National Association of Evangelicals?[/quote]

Those "liberals"? You wont find fundies there.

[url="http://www.christianpost.com/article/20070423/27037.htm"]http://www.christianpost.com/article/20070423/27037.htm[/url]

Most of them are already joined with Rome already...;)

If you want people to debate, I guess go visit some fundie boards and invite them over.

[quote]You continue to treat us (non-Catholics but not scary fundies) with such ridiculous kindness and answer questions. And offer free cookies. A sense of humor helps too. I've learned more for the tongue in cheek debate threads that I have from any number of "All Protestants are heretics and here's 4012 reasons why!" threads. Lumping all Protestants is as bad as evangelicals lumping all Catholics together. Some of us are nice people too![/quote]

I don't think there is any offensiveness in the thread, they just need to discuss with protestants more. There is a reason behind being brothers in faith. Brothers discuss, converse, and yes even sometimes debate. But, that is nessessary to stay a family. Because, the family that debates together, stays together!

Besides, I don't think that protestants are heretics, quite frankly, with protestants, its Catholics that are seen as heretical and lost, not the other way around. Every person in my immediate family is protestants, yet believes they are reformed catholics. This is not heretical. My issues with the Reformation and Protestants is seen differently than these gentlemen and ladies, and Its most definatly not hatred.

Edited by GloriaIesusChristi

Most Protestants are joined with Rome...

ie they may disagree with you all on a few doctrinal stances, but many have embraced the Pope as a good moral world religious leaders.

Revelation 17 is coming to pass.

Bible Christians are in a different place then most of Protestantism..

aalpha1989

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1262767' date='May 2 2007, 06:47 PM']Announce on Protestant websites that a bunch of us are ready to convert to Protestantism but we need guidance?[/quote]

:lol_roll:

I would challenge you to instead go out into the real world and find evangelical Christians to talk to, engage them in normal conversation without other people on this site and catholic apologetic resources to depend on.

The rubber meets the road for me in the real world. You can make a decent case for Catholicism online, but out there everything falls apart (in my experience).

hoosieranna

[quote name='GloriaIesusChristi' post='1263135' date='May 3 2007, 08:27 AM']I don't think there is any offensiveness in the thread, they just need to discuss with protestants more. There is a reason behind being brothers in faith. Brothers discuss, converse, and yes even sometimes debate. But, that is nessessary to stay a family. Because, the family that debates together, stays together!

Besides, I don't think that protestants are heretics, quite frankly, with protestants, its Catholics that are seen as heretical and lost, not the other way around. Every person in my immediate family is protestants, yet believes they are reformed catholics. This is not heretical. My issues with the Reformation and Protestants is seen differently than these gentlemen and ladies, and Its most definatly not hatred.[/quote]

I didn't take any offense. I was actually thanking the Pham for its kindness. Debate can be very useful. I don't actually do much of it because I don't have a background in apologetics and rhetoric. I was trying to keep it light, because I do think humor is an invaluable tool. I'm here to learn. Reading the debates of others helps me do that.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='mulls' post='1263197' date='May 3 2007, 01:01 PM']I would challenge you to instead go out into the real world and find evangelical Christians to talk to, engage them in normal conversation without other people on this site and catholic apologetic resources to depend on.

The rubber meets the road for me in the real world. You can make a decent case for Catholicism online, but out there everything falls apart (in my experience).[/quote]Plenty of conversions to the Catholic Faith happen in the real world. I find that Evangelicals in the real world are not as capable in defending their faith as online people like you, mulls.

The rank-and-file evangelicals that I have met still have one foot in the world, so to speak. But, I guess that's just an opportunity for Catholics to witness to them.

PS: As others have mentioned, I also first read the thread title as, "How do we attack more protestants." ;)

thessalonian

[quote name='mulls' post='1263197' date='May 3 2007, 12:01 PM']I would challenge you to instead go out into the real world and find evangelical Christians to talk to, engage them in normal conversation without other people on this site and catholic apologetic resources to depend on.

The rubber meets the road for me in the real world. You can make a decent case for Catholicism online, but out there everything falls apart (in my experience).[/quote]

It's always a dichotomy with you folks. Why does it have to be the internet or the real world. I do both. I dialogue with many protestants in your "real world" and a couple of muslims and a jewish man currently. Why not use all means available to us to evangelize. Though I don't start out clubbing them over the head with a bible as some of my favorite prot radio hosts suggest. Rather I think it good to establish a freindship. That's the Catholic way.

Quite honestly in my experience on the net protestants don't have a chance at converting Catholics on a board like this, whereas there are many conversions in the other direction. Even on the protestant boards Catholics rarely if ever convert to Protestantism, while I have seen many examples of conversions in the opposite direction. When the truth is exposed to the light rather than the wolves preying on lost and separated sheep, things don't go the protestant way. Sorry.

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='Budge' post='1263141' date='May 3 2007, 09:36 AM']Most Protestants are joined with Rome...

ie they may disagree with you all on a few doctrinal stances, but many have embraced the Pope as a good moral world religious leaders.

Revelation 17 is coming to pass.

Bible Christians are in a different place then most of Protestantism..[/quote]

Do you understand that you are an incredibly naive hateful person..right? And the majority of your claims would be laughed off by anyone who has read a book. No offense. I just wonder if you are faking it sometime, or if this is really your worldview.

Mateo el Feo

Personally, I think it's good news that a decent case for the Catholic Faith can be made online; because each detail of an argument is subject to scrutiny. In contrast, a "real world" Catholic evangelist may not be able to quote a particular Biblical text which could help explain the Catholic Faith to someone asking questions about it.

I find that too much of evangelical proselytization (at least a decade or two ago) relied on the ignorance of Catholics and formulaic argumentation which misrepresentated the Catholic Faith. Nowadays, we know a lot more about their playbook, so it's quite a bit easier to respond to these challenges when they are made.