An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Diocese Doesn't Want Me

catholicinsd

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1371293' date='Aug 26 2007, 09:34 PM']If you were driving the wrong way down a 1-way street how would you feel?[/quote]

Like I need to pull over and turn around. Volunteer somewhere - try a hospice center. It gives great perspective and reminds us of what we forget we already have.

I don't know you at all, but your posts seem to indicate that you want to be a priest in order to get an education and escape from a lack of options in your life. The seminary is not a place to escape to nor is it there to save you from a lack of options. It is there to form men to be priests and send them out into the vineyard. Try to get some information about why your application was terminated and then do a retreat to reflect on the feedback. They may be wrong, you may be wrong, or everyone could be wrong.

A friend of mine is in charge of deaconal formation for my AD. He tells me many men apply to be deacons but really don't understand the ministry of the deacon in the first place. Maybe you need to do a discernment retreat and examine why you feel attracted to the priesthood. Are the reasons for you or for God and his people?

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1371293' date='Aug 26 2007, 09:34 PM']If you were driving the wrong way down a 1-way street how would you feel?[/quote]

+

I'd turn around.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

ive been keeping up with this thread.

my thoughts:

I have a hard time the diocese said you were not smart enough and had not enough friends.....

to establish the Truth (and to ensure you are not libeling the VD) what EXACTLY were you told?

[quote name='chelsea' post='1371149' date='Aug 26 2007, 04:27 PM']To be blunt, thats not God's fault, thats your own. The Pham has tried to give you very good advice, and you just seem to be ignoring it and wallowing in your anger and self-pity. I suggest praying, and reconciling with God. He's upset that you are mad with him. He wants you back.[/quote]
agreed. i will pray for you in my rosary intentions tonight

catholicinsd

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' post='1371354' date='Aug 26 2007, 10:46 PM']ive been keeping up with this thread.

my thoughts:

I have a hard time the diocese said you were not smart enough and had not enough friends.....
to establish the Truth (and to ensure you are not libeling the VD) what EXACTLY were you told?[/quote]

i'd rather not post the parapraph/

catholicinsd

I'm not really upset, anymore I'm just very confused. I'm put so much into going to the seminary, and now that I can't go, I really don't now what to do. Missionary Work, would be a appealing- however to pay for my college I'll need a lot of financial aid, and to qualify for most of that you have go to college right after High School.

On the other hand I think mission work would prepare me better for the priesthhod. But there lies a gamble- what if I do mission work and still don't get accepted? I don't know if I wanna take that gamble.

Edited by catholicinsd

[quote]to qualify for of that you have go to college right after High School.[/quote]

I don't think this is the case?

catholicinsd

[quote name='Maggie' post='1371386' date='Aug 26 2007, 11:16 PM']I don't think this is the case?[/quote]

Well if I it's between me and another "Traditional Student" for a scholarship, they'd give it to the other guy (as well they should)

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1371379' date='Aug 26 2007, 11:06 PM']I'm not really upset, anymore I'm just very confused. I'm put so much into going to the seminary, and now that I can't go, I really don't now what to do. Missionary Work, would be a appealing- however to pay for my college I'll need a lot of financial aid, and to qualify for most of that you have go to college right after High School.

On the other hand I think mission work would prepare me better for the priesthhod. But there lies a gamble- what if I do mission work and still don't get accepted? I don't know if I wanna take that gamble.[/quote]

i don't really consider that a gamble. you should be doing mission work to help the people you are supposed to be helping...it'll improve you yourself, yes, but that is not hte main goal. if that is your main goal maybe you better rethink doing the mission work...it's about people, not necessarily about priestly formation.

franciscanheart

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1371390' date='Aug 26 2007, 10:22 PM']Well if I it's between me and another "Traditional Student" for a scholarship, they'd give it to the other guy (as well they should)[/quote]
1. You don't know this. Also, there are many opportunities available for a non-trad student. Have you considered a CC for the first year? Even the first semester! Lots of successful people started out at a CC...

2. It is not healthy to allow yourself, at any time, over any thing, to think in one way and not allow yourself to question. Didn't make sense? What I mean is this: It is good to have a desire to serve the Lord and even better to be open enough to pursue a potential call to the priesthood. But it is not healthy, especially at such a young age, to make up your mind that it's the priesthood or nothing. It is important to prayerfully consider at each moment what it is God is asking of you. You planned this elaborate life in your head that started at seminary. Then, when seminary didn't happen for you, you crashed and burned. You don't feel like you have any place to go. That's because you built up this image of who you are and where you're going without really stopping to consider who you are and where you're going. It sounds like you became a little obsessive, a little too quickly. Again, it's good to have the deep desire to follow the will of God but it's also important to rationally enter into these types of decisions and processes. You must self-evaluate each step of the way. In doing that, you must recognize your weaknesses and resolve to improve in those areas. And in doing all of these things, it's good to remember that just because things aren't happening as quickly as you think they should does not mean that they won't happen eventually or that you're somehow less of a person. You are always a beautiful child of God and so long as your intentions are pure, you are doing what is good and holy and right.

God calls us to big things in ordinary decisions. Resolve to know yourself better by knowing the Lord better. Go and be with Him and be at peace. Learn to love yourself for all of your wonderful gifts and talents and pray that He give you the grace to improve and multiply them. He will bless you abundantly for your humility and sincere love of Him.

Again, my prayers are with you.

catholicinsd

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1371411' date='Aug 26 2007, 11:50 PM']1. You don't know this. Also, there are many opportunities available for a non-trad student. Have you considered a CC for the first year? Even the first semester! Lots of successful people started out at a CC...[/quote]

If you mean CC as in Community College, yes I have.

franciscanheart

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1371446' date='Aug 26 2007, 11:29 PM']If you mean CC as in Community College, yes I have.[/quote]
Did you read anything else I said? :blink:

catholicinsd

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1371451' date='Aug 27 2007, 12:36 AM']Did you read anything else I said? :blink:[/quote]

I did, I'm just very (I'm don't even know how to describe it.)

franciscanheart

I'm beginning to think it might be a good idea for you to take a step back from phatmass and any other time-consuming, not-really-helpful activity for a while. It sounds like you're in need of a retreat. Be still. Be silent. Be at peace. It's okay to withdraw for a while if your withdrawl is helping you to cope and/or to grow.