An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Diocese Doesn't Want Me

catholicinsd

catholicinsd

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1371548' date='Aug 27 2007, 10:13 AM']I'm beginning to think it might be a good idea for you to take a step back from phatmass and any other time-consuming, not-really-helpful activity for a while. It sounds like you're in need of a retreat. Be still. Be silent. Be at peace. It's okay to withdraw for a while if your withdrawl is helping you to cope and/or to grow.[/quote]

I'd sign up for one- the diocese has several youth retreats coming up, however the VD is usually the Retreat Master. And do agree I should cut back on phatmass for a while, so I'm going to try and limit myself to one visit a day.

cathoholic_anonymous

However upset and uncomfortable you might feel, there is no reason to avoid the VD. Perhaps when you feel a bit better you will be able to sign up for the retreat. If you feel like going somewhere with no faces you know, you could travel to a monastery for a silent retreat. Most monasteries seem to have guesthouses where people are welcome to stay in the quiet and solitude. If your nearest monastery is a long way away, ask St Catherine of Siena or St Joseph to pray for funds. St Catherine is the patron saint of pilgrimage and St Joseph just seems to like financing things. :) This is my experience, anyway.

catholicinsd

Yes but if the VD brings up the need for vocations at any point in the retreat, (and he probably will in a large group setting) that would upset me. And the retreat would be counter-productive

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1373569' date='Aug 29 2007, 02:28 PM']Yes but if the VD brings up the need for vocations at any point in the retreat, (and he probably will in a large group setting) that would upset me. And the retreat would be counter-productive[/quote]

Try a monastery then! :)

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1371548' date='Aug 27 2007, 10:13 AM']I'm beginning to think it might be a good idea for you to take a step back from phatmass and any other time-consuming, not-really-helpful activity for a while. It sounds like you're in need of a retreat. Be still. Be silent. Be at peace. It's okay to withdraw for a while if your withdrawl is helping you to cope and/or to grow.[/quote]

Withdrawal may or may not help him. I personally would not push that route too far.

I don't know what I want to do. Part of me wants to do mission after school, but the other part me just doesn't wanna take the gamble. I'm probably going to college and begin my career in whatever, and never entertain the thought of the priesthood ever again.

[quote]I'm probably going to college and begin my career in whatever, and n[b]ever entertain the thought of the priesthood ever again[/b].[/quote]

Don't be bitter! It doesn't become you. Anyway, if it's a true call I'll bet you won't be able to do that ("never entertain" etc) ;)

• 4 weeks later...
catholicinsd

Here's a dosy for you all:

If I were to study Theology/Philosophy at Mount Marty College, would I then immedatly begin the M. Div program, if I still feel called?

Talk to the Vocation Director about the diocese's requirements. I know in a lot of situations if your undergrad is theology/philosophy it can work out! :)

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1376703' date='Sep 2 2007, 11:11 PM']I don't know what [b]I want to do.[/b] Part of me wants to do mission after school, but the other part me just [b]doesn't wanna take the gamble[/b]. I'm probably going to college and begin my career in whatever, and [b]never entertain the thought of the priesthood ever again[/b].[/quote]

Some desires are placed in your heart by God. That is why you have them. Perhaps you should discern becoming a missionary for a bit longer before you brush it off for the sole reason being because you do not want to take the gamble. It is a gamble. There is a risk. But if you do not wish to do the risky then there is the possibility of when you die that Christ could say to you, "Look how many souls you could have saved had you trusted a little more!" Then you will be very sad and perhaps suffer eternally for your lack of trust.

Yes, and do not be bitter. To be honest, if some of the saints would have had your attitude they would have never been saints. If you felt called to be a priest and were turned away then you have a duty to discern further as to whether you were turned away because really it was not the will of God that you become a priest at all or because Christ wills for you to do something else at the moment. You are trying to please Him and do His will... remember that. You have to pick your little self up again and say, "Well, it obviously is not God's will right now... Jesus, what would like? Show me." He will. And perhaps, it is to be a missionary. You do not decide where you go. He does. You allowed Him to take the wheel for a while, and you got a bit bruised. Think of what it is going to be like when [i]you[/i], a little nothing, take the wheel and suddenly start deciding where your going to go because your afraid of getting bruised again. You will crash and burn.

(Perhaps you have discerned this further, but from the way your writing it sounds as if you have not.)

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

Guest sistersister

Some Diocese officials are so liberal that they screen out men who have strong Catholic beliefs. Just because your Diocese rejects you, if you really feel God calling you to the priesthood, don't give up. We are begging for priests in the Diocese of Little Rock (Arkansas) and the Diocese of Tyler (Texas). Contact them. Both have websites.

I need to comment on that...

I have met some people that were screened out for having "strong Catholic beliefs." I am thinking of one in particular and in all charity I am glad he was screened out. He viewed ordination as a power issue. I think the psychologist saw the same thing. He wasn't accepted. But of course he tells everyone that he was rejected because he's faithful to the magisterium, not because he has some real problems that need to be looked at before he gets into full time ministry.

I went to law school with a man who had been turned down in our diocese. He was a tad odd, but I've know priests that were odder. He went to another diocese and was accepted, so it can certainly happen. We are working on closing two neighboring parishes to merge into ours as soon as their priests, both advanced in years, decide to retire. They are being closed not because of finances, but because of priest shortages. Our priest is on loan from India for the next 3 years. If you are truly called, someone will put you to work in the vineyard. You might just have to be open to the Holy Spirit leading you where you need to go.

Cardinal Francis George was turned down by the Archdiocese of Chicago for the diocesan priesthood, so he joined the OMIs instead! Now he's Archbishop of Chicago! So you never know how God works! :)

Stick in there! :pray:

Maybe I shouldn't respond here but I feel the need too.

You have been given great advice here, please listen to it. But as well as listening I would also say relax, you have plenty of time. Serve others, get out into the world, look around yourself and feel the beauty of this place, breathe. Take time to heal from this experience and then see what God wants from you.

Your in my prayers.