An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Being A Stay At Home Mom Worth Anything?

apparent

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1448027' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:30 PM']You have your opinion, I have mine, and I can express it any way I darn well please. (within forum rules, of course) none of which I've broken, nor come near to offending.[/quote]

Indeed, you can do whatever you darn well please. It's just too bad that forum rules can't force people to use common sense. And as far as not offending, I think the jury is still out on that one. :whistle: Your resentment and anger is just poisoning yourself in the end, really.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

[quote name='curtins' post='1448032' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:36 PM']Dude, Autumn back off dude, you totally hijacked this thread, for what reason idk.

The guy was simply asking some questions about family and you get all up in his grill, whats the beef?

I've been on phatmass since 2004 and I know there are a WIDE range of people here in terms of age, occupations, etc etc. Everyone knows I've posted plenty of what someone refered to as "blathering" threads about problems I've had, advice being sought etc. And I've posted them all in open mic because I know that there are not just young people on this forum, but also alot of older, wiser, more knowledge-able folks who have given me great advice and direction over the years.

Lets lighten up a bit, and practice some basic Christian charity towards this guy.[/quote]

Again, I have my opinions, you can have yours.

And sometimes the greatest charity we can have is to let someone really see themselves for who they are.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='curtins' post='1448032' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:36 PM']The guy was simply asking some questions about family and you get all up in his grill, whats the beef?[/quote]

[img]http://www.dougmoe.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/wheres_the_beef_commercial.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1448033' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:36 PM']Indeed, you can do whatever you darn well please. It's just too bad that forum rules can't force people to use common sense. And as far as not offending, I think the jury is still out on that one. :whistle: Your resentment and anger is just poisoning yourself in the end, really.[/quote]

If i'm so offensive, then ban me and watch me not care.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1448039' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:38 PM']And sometimes the greatest charity we can have is to let someone really see themselves for who they are.[/quote]

Well it's nice to hear that phatmass has such a gifted clairvoyant in our midst. Hallelujah!

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1448042' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:39 PM']If i'm so offensive, then ban me and watch me not care.[/quote]

Does "I know you are, but what am I?" ring a bell, anyone?

cmotherofpirl

Maybe you should consider standing in the corner for an hour til you regain your manners. Banning you would simply feed your ego.

If you don't care why are you still posting?

To answer the originial question,

Being a stay home mom is certainly not worthless. My mom is a stay at home mom but she runs her own bussiness and does all sorts of stuff. Moms are not supposed to have 60 hour work weeks. They're supposed to raise the children. The problem with the way things have been going is that people are now having babysitters raise there kids. No wonder people grow up so screwed up, they never knew their parents. Its fine for moms to have a job, especially if two incomes are needed, but their primary job is their kids (as is the fathers, but he exercises that responsibility more as the primary "bread-winner")

I'd have to say that a stay at home mom would be ideal for raising children. Heck I didn't turn out half bad....

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1448050' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:43 PM']Well it's nice to hear that phatmass has such a gifted clairvoyant in our midst. Hallelujah!
Does "I know you are, but what am I?" ring a bell, anyone?[/quote]

No, but i've been around the block a few times in my life.

[quote name='curtins' post='1448053' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:44 PM']If you don't care why are you still posting?[/quote]

becuase i have nothing better to do. I already finished my homework for the next two weeks and I have two more days off.

Edited by Autumn Dusk

Being a stay at home mom never was a sacrifice for us, nor do I regret my life’s choices. All for I want is for all my family to get along, be friends and matter to each other.

I don’t intend to cause quarrels and have no interest in badmouthing or putting down anyone.

Just for the record, I love my wife, my children, my in-laws, and my family

It’s all that matters

Hi!
Ok, I'm almost 25 and was raised in said "traditional" manner; my mom stayed at home and my father worked. I can tell you that I really feel blessed. Yeah, we didn't have quite as much money as some of the other kids I grew up with, we never vacationed or anything like that. But you know, I think having someone waiting for me every day when I came home from school was worth much more than a vacation to Disneyland. In this day and age it's a difficult thing to do, because in most households, both parents have to work just to make ends meet and I know many people who have had wonderful childhoods with both parents working. But in my opinion, if it's possible for the family, I think having a mother who's at home is a great thing. Sure, there were times (especially when I was a teenager and wanted the house to myself and such!) that I complained that my mother was always home, I felt "overprotected." But it wasn't long before I realized how lucky I was and I'm thankful that my mother was able to stay at home. So please, don't feel bad at all. I think your kids will come to appreciate the upbringing they had. Give them time :) You are obviously a very loving and devoted dad! -Katie

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1448055' date='Jan 19 2008, 08:48 PM']No, but i've been around the block a few times in my life.[/quote]
So has that lady down on lake st and 9th

lol

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1448055' date='Jan 19 2008, 06:48 PM']No, but i've been around the block a few times in my life.
becuase i have nothing better to do. I already finished my homework for the next two weeks and I have two more days off.[/quote]

Ah yes...

the ones who have their homework done have 'been around the block' the most. If only i could be half as smart as i thought i was when i was younger!

LOL

My wife had a nice job at Nordstrom, but we found that when our daughter was 0-3, she mainly worked so we could afford the daycare. As our daughter was moving through pre-school into Kindergarten, she wanted to get involved more and more, and wanted to be able to be with our daughter more and more as a mom. We budgeted and she was able to be a full time stay at home mom.

It is a little more stressful at times, but i think it is worth it...and so does my wife. If we have the choice of giving our daughter everything she wants vs. everything she needs.. we choose the latter. and the latter is better attained by her being a stay at home mom.

Edited by MIkolbe

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1448296' date='Jan 19 2008, 11:53 PM']Ah yes...

the ones who have there homework done have 'been around the block' the most. If only i could be half as smart as i thought i was when i was younger![/quote]

This made me crack up! I am 19 and I certainly know enough to know that I know nothing. (If that makes sense.) When I was 13/14 though... boy HOWDY, did I think I knew everything about everything.

Ash Wednesday

That reminds me of the following:

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."

-Mark Twain

MissScripture

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1447957' date='Jan 19 2008, 07:42 PM']Someone has to make life interesting. Disagreement is part of life. You should be accustomed to disagreement with your track record.

If you've already lost one kid you'd better make sure that you're a heck of alot nicer to the other, becuase you'll loose him/her too. Though it sounds like they are already gone. Too bad for you.[/quote]
Yeah, because the best way to get through to your children is to kiss up to them. And they'll never change. Of course. :rolleyes:

[quote name='apparent' post='1448168' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:57 PM']Being a stay at home mom never was a sacrifice for us, nor do I regret my life’s choices. All for I want is for all my family to get along, be friends and matter to each other.

I don’t intend to cause quarrels and have no interest in badmouthing or putting down anyone.

Just for the record, I love my wife, my children, my in-laws, and my family

It’s all that matters[/quote]
All I can say is wait and pray a lot. I don't know much about you or your family, obviously, but I kept telling my mom to think about people she viewed as good parents (usually her in-laws), and think about how their kids turned out. Did they all turn out perfectly? No. They're in their fifties now, and some of them are still doing stupid things, but should Grandma and Grandpa be considered failures at parenting? No. The best you can do is the best you can do.

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1448292' date='Jan 19 2008, 11:40 PM']So has that lady down on lake st and 9th
lol[/quote]
:lol_roll: If this means what I think this means, that is absolutely HILARIOUS!