An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Being A Stay At Home Mom Worth Anything?

apparent

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1447571' date='Jan 19 2008, 12:44 AM']I realized I had money management skills and work ethic that my peers didn't have.[/quote]

Yep. We always had to do the chores on the weekend as well. While I didn't appreciate that at the time, I did once I started working and going to college and everything. I think those skills have served me well as I've started a family of my own.

My mother stayed at home until I was 8 (I'm the youngest), and I definitely appreciated having her home when I got home from school, and in the summers.

I love that I'm able to work on my PhD from home so that I don't have to miss any time with Kieran. I can only hope that I'll be able to work from home throughout, as I want to be a stay at home mom.

My mom was stay-at-home. Sure, I bellyached about not having the things that the other kids had, but I always had enough.

Someone once told me that children don't awaken their sense of responsibility until they are at least 25. Then they find out what their parents really gave them.

That's about the time I started really appreciating my parents.

[quote name='Dismas' post='1447728' date='Jan 19 2008, 10:01 AM']My mom was stay-at-home. Sure, I bellyached about not having the things that the other kids had, but I always had enough.

Someone once told me that children don't awaken their sense of responsibility until they are at least 25. Then they find out what their parents really gave them.

That's about the time I started really appreciating my parents.[/quote]

Be it ever so humble there is no place like home
Family is everything, that’s why I lament.
P.S.: Thanks for the payers, Ash Wednesday

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='apparent' post='1447741' date='Jan 19 2008, 11:06 AM']Be it ever so humble there is no place like home
Family is everything, that’s why I lament.
P.S.: Thanks for the payers, Ash Wednesday[/quote]
THey won't appreciate it until the start their own families. Be happy they are involved in their own lives and are functional adults in the making. Our job as parents are to give them wings and teach them how to use them. Appreciation appears much much later in the scheme of things, so if you are looking for gratitude you got a long way to go. Be happy that they are happy, and work on your own interests awhile. Once marriage and grandbabies arrive you will get more than enough gratitude for your efforts than you can imagine now.
To everything there is a season and a time and purpose under heaven. This is the time to watch them learn to fly.

cmom
mum to a 25, 22, 20
extra mum to a 26, 24, 22, 21, 12

Why, as an adult, are you asking this of a teen web-board and not a real life counceller or friends?
I can see the excuse of teens needing resources and ideas, and coming to a board with personal issues, but an adult?
maybe you just weren't good parents.
It seems like you we're home much to even build a relationship, so how would you really know what your kids think?
Maybe your kids gained incite on how the real world works.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1447851' date='Jan 19 2008, 06:11 PM']Why, as an adult, are you asking this of a teen web-board and not a real life counceller or friends?
I can see the excuse of teens needing resources and ideas, and coming to a board with personal issues, but an adult?
It seems like you we're home much to even build a relationship, so how would you really know what your kids think?
Maybe your kids gained incite on how the real world works.[/quote]

Wow.

Just wow.

I'm actually speechless. I guess my week's board rage quota was met in the Dottie Poage/death penalty thread.

Open Mic isn't a teen web board. If he asked this on Creepy Aliens, yeah, you could say that. But there are people of various ages here, and a lot of them are parents.

Maybe they asked on here because they wanted to get some insight anonymously.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

This is a teen board????

Dang! I am WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too old to be here then!

:hehe:

Get over it. This was the perfect place to ask that question.

I think the kicker about your post, is that according to your profile, you are not a teen either....

Edited by prose

[quote]I think the kicker about your post, is that according to your profile, you are not a teen either....[/quote]

ergo, I don't go blathering my life issues all over the board.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1447851' date='Jan 19 2008, 06:11 PM']Why, as an adult, are you asking this of a teen web-board and not a real life counceller or friends?
Maybe your kids gained incite on how the real world works.[/quote]

your argument apparently derives self-contradictory conclusions by valid deduction from acceptable premises. a statement that is seemingly contradictory or opposed to common sense and yet is perhaps true. Being A Stay At Home Mom Worthless in your opinion, then?

[quote]your argument apparently derives self-contradictory conclusions by valid deduction from acceptable premises. a statement that is seemingly contradictory or opposed to common sense and yet is perhaps true. Being A Stay At Home Mom Worthless in your opinion, then?[/quote]

Its apparent you've spent much time working and little time with an English grammar textbook. Your sentence seems to contain more illogical insults than it does an argument.

Is a stay at home mom worthless?
No, of course not, but it is NOT for every family, not every mom who wants to do it. Parents need to work as a unit, not as one unit moneymaker and one unit care taker.

My conclusion is that you obviously have some serious problems on your hands, and you need to consider more than the thought that somehow your kids are acting unjustly wronged, and they were, indeed, wronged. We are on the internet, you can say anything about you and your spouses' parenting skills but I am not required to believe it.

Sure, good parents can end up with children who go the wrong way, but I'm saying, for the sake of my own skepticism that maybe you DID do something wrong, having nothing to do with how much money you made, or how long you or your spouse spent with your children.

MissScripture

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1447886' date='Jan 19 2008, 06:22 PM']Its apparent you've spent much time working and little time with an English grammar textbook. Your sentence seems to contain more illogical insults than it does an argument.

Is a stay at home mom worthless?
No, of course not, but it is NOT for every family, not every mom who wants to do it. Parents need to work as a unit, not as one unit moneymaker and one unit care taker.

My conclusion is that you obviously have some serious problems on your hands, and you need to consider more than the thought that somehow your kids are acting unjustly wronged, and they were, indeed, wronged. We are on the internet, you can say anything about you and your spouses' parenting skills but I am not required to believe it.

Sure, good parents can end up with children who go the wrong way, but I'm saying, for the sake of my own skepticism that maybe you DID do something wrong, having nothing to do with how much money you made, or how long you or your spouse spent with your children.[/quote]
Or, despite the best efforts, things still went wrong. Parents are not completely in control of their children. I've seen it with my own brother. Three of us have, thus far, turned out just fine. He, on the other hand, is WAY out there. I spent a summer telling my mom that she was not actually a failure, just because he did not turn out how she hoped. I'm sure that Apparent doesn't believe that he and his wife were perfect parents, I don't think any parent ever does.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1447877' date='Jan 19 2008, 05:54 PM']ergo, I don't go blathering my life issues all over the board.[/quote]

Right

except [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=74230&hl="]here[/url]

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=74099&hl="]here[/url]

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=74445&hl="]here[/url]

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=74749&hl="]here[/url]

and of course your recent [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=76330&hl="]cat struggles[/url]

I don't know... if 20% of all your topics deal with life issues, does that constitute a blather?

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1447877' date='Jan 19 2008, 11:54 PM']ergo, I don't go blathering my life issues all over the board.[/quote]

er, not true.

(hot stuff dug the threads up before moi)

Edited by Noel's angel

I haven't been a teen in several decades, thankfully. I think the topic of making the decision to sacrifice to be a stay at home mom is a very appropriate topic for this forum. All parents are confronted with thousands of these decisions. We also second guess ourselves constantly. Parenting is one of the hardest things we ever have to face, and only someone who has never been through it would react in such an uncharitable way to another person's pain.