An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Being A Stay At Home Mom Worth Anything?

apparent

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1447967' date='Jan 19 2008, 08:53 PM']Huh

So you've figured that out after 300 or so posts?

Do you know how many moms we have on the site?

Do you know how many of them stay home full time?
What is really more appropriate would be for you to comment on threads that you know something about. Instead of criticizing about a topic that you don't have the first clue about.[/quote]

Actually, I've been on Phatmass for many years now. Atleast 4 or even 5. If you don't believe me, ask C-mom

I know that there are many mom's on the site, but most of them are of young children.

And I do know many of them stay home. They seem like wonderful people. However, we are not in their homes.

Actually, I do know something about the OP/parents like them, you shouldn't be so quick to soothe someone who may indeed be the root of their own problem.

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1447968' date='Jan 19 2008, 08:54 PM']The point is, you have NO right to say whether or not someone can post about a certain topic. Nor do you have the right to immediately judge and harshly criticise that person.

(hot stuff, we're really sharing a brain today...)[/quote]

I can state my opinion about what I believe is unappropriate or appropriate. Guess what? I have free will.

Actually, I have every right to form an opinion. You formed the (strong) opinion that this poster is sincere. Ever consider that maybe you were wrong?

[quote name='apparent' post='1447544' date='Jan 18 2008, 04:25 PM']I wonder if raising my kids in the traditional way was worth all the grief. Of my [b]four grown up offspring two [/b](in college) have no appreciation of the way or in my opinion blessing they enjoyed growing up with there mom there 24/7.
I admit working two jobs didn’t allow much time to be there for them, but my wife made up for that (I thought).
Maybe I should have hired babysitters and let the wife work, we would have had a lot more luxuries, a college fund, and could have vacationed (Disneyland), and something we hardly ever did by the way.
I really think our lifestyle choice was a mistake.[/quote]

(emphasis mine) It sounds like the other two do appreciate that she stayed home. I'm a student myself. We're knuckleheads. My family was the reverse: my mom worked and my dad stayed home. We couldn't survive on what he brought home. It makes an incredible difference having a parent at home, be it mother or father. Have you ever just asked your kids what they think about it?

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1447978' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:05 PM']Inappropriate.[/quote]

Care to give me more of an explanation? Even if its by PM. Its hardly worth posting if you just post a word.

Apparent, don't worry about it. Just talk to your kids more and figure out what's wrong. Nad, Cmom and HSM, etc. seem to know what they're talking about with their opinions.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1447911' date='Jan 19 2008, 07:00 PM'](Gotta say Angel... LOVE the new avatar!!)[/quote]

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1447914' date='Jan 19 2008, 07:03 PM']Thankies. 'Twas time for a change. I thought it may seem a bit 'emo-ish' at first but I think it works.[/quote]

I don't get your avatar :mellow:

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1447991' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:13 PM']I don't get your avatar :mellow:[/quote]

Its a person looking down at a ripped pink paper heart.....awwwww....so touching.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1447983' date='Jan 20 2008, 02:10 AM']Care to give me more of an explanation? Even if its by PM. Its hardly worth posting if you just post a word.[/quote]

The word is 'inappropriate'

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1448006' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:20 PM']The word is 'inappropriate'[/quote]

what is my bra showing?

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1447977' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:04 PM']Actually, I have every right to form an opinion. You formed the (strong) opinion that this poster is sincere. Ever consider that maybe you were wrong?[/quote]

You do have a right to form an opinion and express it, and even play devil's advocate. But it's not really going to accomplish much when it's done with vitriol.

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1447688' date='Jan 19 2008, 01:40 AM']between this one and the treat-marriage-as-a-vocation thread, i'd just like to give a shout-out to all the good Catholic parents out there, and say thanks.[/quote]

ditto

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1448013' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:24 PM']You do have a right to form an opinion and express it, and even play devil's advocate. But it's not really going to accomplish much when it's done with vitriol.[/quote]

You have your opinion, I have mine, and I can express it any way I darn well please. (within forum rules, of course) none of which I've broken, nor come near to offending.

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1448020' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:27 PM']It's a pity posts like those seem to get lost.[/quote]

Those posts deserve their own threads :saint:

Dude, Autumn back off dude, you totally hijacked this thread, for what reason idk.

The guy was simply asking some questions about family and you get all up in his grill, whats the beef?

I've been on phatmass since 2004 and I know there are a WIDE range of people here in terms of age, occupations, etc etc. Everyone knows I've posted plenty of what someone refered to as "blathering" threads about problems I've had, advice being sought etc. And I've posted them all in open mic because I know that there are not just young people on this forum, but also alot of older, wiser, more knowledge-able folks who have given me great advice and direction over the years.
Heck phatmass used to have an 18 and older NFP forum, just further confirming that this is not just a teen forum like lifeteen.

Lets lighten up a bit, and practice some basic Christian charity towards this guy and towards everyone. Your missing the point that this guy is a brother in Christ who has come to phatmass with some need, looking for peoples' ideas, opinions, advice on the matter. As Christians we're supposed to do our best to help and encourage him, not shoot him down for being in the wrong forum (which he's not in the first place).

Assuming, Dust keeps things running, I see myself posting on phatmass for the rest of my life....

Edited by curtins