An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Being A Stay At Home Mom Worth Anything?

apparent

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1448055' date='Jan 19 2008, 11:48 PM']No, but i've been around the block a few times in my life.[/quote]

So has my husband, and you don't see him resenting everyone for it.

[quote name='apparent' post='1448168' date='Jan 19 2008, 08:57 PM']Being a stay at home mom never was a sacrifice for us, nor do I regret my life’s choices. All for I want is for all my family to get along, be friends and matter to each other.

I don’t intend to cause quarrels and have no interest in badmouthing or putting down anyone.

Just for the record, I love my wife, my children, my in-laws, and my family

It’s all that matters[/quote]
Some kids take longer to mature... and it's not always possible to identify why. To this date my sister and I still wonder how our brother came through the same womb and grew up in the same house that we did. There were a handful of life lessons that he seems to have missed. He is getting into his mid-twenties now and is finally starting to make some better decisions.

In college it's easy to become jealous of other people... so-and-so went on fancy vacations or had cable TV and we couldn't, wah. Meanwhile those kids wish that their mom had stayed at home.

Just give your kids the time they need and ignore stupid people. (note to Autumn Dusk: I'm not talking about you.)

Edited by tgoldson

[quote name='apparent' post='1448168' date='Jan 19 2008, 10:57 PM']Being a stay at home mom never was a sacrifice for us, nor do I regret my life’s choices. All for I want is for all my family to get along, be friends and matter to each other.

I don’t intend to cause quarrels and have no interest in badmouthing or putting down anyone.

Just for the record, I love my wife, my children, my in-laws, and my family

It’s all that matters[/quote]

Sounds like you didn't need to post in the first place

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1448292' date='Jan 20 2008, 12:40 AM']So has that lady down on lake st and 9th
lol[/quote]

Its not as if I'm turning tricks in my spare time.

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1448296' date='Jan 20 2008, 12:53 AM']Ah yes...

the ones who have their homework done have 'been around the block' the most. If only i could be half as smart as i thought i was when i was younger![/quote]

I don't need to defend my maturity or where I've been in life. But lets just say that most people who've been through what I have are either dead, druggies or still miserable.

[quote name='Alycin' post='1448302' date='Jan 20 2008, 12:59 AM']This made me crack up! I am 19 and I certainly know enough to know that I know nothing. (If that makes sense.) When I was 13/14 though... boy HOWDY, did I think I knew everything about everything.[/quote]

I'm 23. I don't know everything, but I know a heck of a lot more than most people my age.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1448326' date='Jan 20 2008, 01:34 AM']That reminds me of the following:

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."

-Mark Twain[/quote]

As far as my family, well the people who I (and God) consider my family. My dad's decent, I respect my parents, especally my mom who had to work occasionally. Actually, my mom and I are great friends. So don't judge me as someone who doesn't respect their elders.

[quote name='Luthien' post='1448370' date='Jan 20 2008, 10:01 AM']So has my husband, and you don't see him resenting everyone for it.[/quote]

Meh, then that would my problem, not yours.

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1448371' date='Jan 20 2008, 10:54 AM']Just give your kids the time they need and ignore stupid people.[/quote]

Wow, and I thought I was getting gaff for being mean to others.

Edited by Autumn Dusk

Ah man. Okay. This is too funny. You are 23 and have had a rough life. Welcome to the club. I can't help but notice that through this "rough life" you are surviving, no, THRIVING. You have a computer, are in university.

Even when people have struggles, they still have things to learn. I am willing to bet that everyone here has a story of struggle. I am sure you will argue that none compare to your personal struggle. I would reply that is complete horse manure. And I don't mean to demean your struggles by saying that. Other people suffer too. Maybe if you could manage to look past yourself and stop feeling sorry for yourself and stop feeling the need to assert how "mature" you are by yelling about your past, you would see that.

When you have lost a child, survived cancer, survived incest, beaten drug addictions, beaten alcoholism, raised a few children successfully, went bankrupt, lost close family members, and more, then maybe you can triumphantly announce that you have more difficulties than anyone here. Until then, you have your crosses to bear and we have ours. Get over yourself.

Ah man. Okay. This is too funny. You are 23 and have had a rough life. Welcome to the club. I can't help but notice that through this "rough life" you are surviving, no, THRIVING. You have a computer, are in university.

Even when people have struggles, they still have things to learn. I am willing to bet that everyone here has a story of struggle. I am sure you will argue that none compare to your personal struggle. I would reply that is complete horse manure. And I don't mean to demean your struggles by saying that. Other people suffer too. Maybe if you could manage to look past yourself and stop feeling sorry for yourself and stop feeling the need to assert how "mature" you are by yelling about your past, you would see that.

When you have lost a child, survived cancer, survived incest, beaten drug addictions, beaten alcoholism, raised a few children successfully, went bankrupt, lost close family members, and more, then maybe you can triumphantly announce that you have more difficulties than anyone here. Until then, you have your crosses to bear and we have ours. Get over yourself.

I am not judging anyone. I was just pointing out that you aren't the only one here with a history. Whether or not you want to admit that, that's your decision.

My mom is a stay at home mom. She has a job from home, and works like crazy. I wanted her attention when i was younger, because she was always working. But she was always THERE. She bandaged my owies and was there for hugs. I dont regret a moment of it.

Now i'm 17 and not yet out of the house. I must admit that i am a horrible daughter and resent her for many things, including working from home. But when i really sit down and think about it, i wouldnt have changed anything. I know in a few years when i get some sense, i'll really be able to show my appreciation.

I am a working mom. I wish I could stay at home. Would it be better for my kids? Maybe. Maybe not.

I am not working for the money, I am working because I feel that is what God is calling me to do right now. Will I work forever? I hope not. But it is God's will and not mine.

Will my kids resent the fact that I am gone a lot (youth ministry involves a lot of weekends and evenings)? I hope not. But I am leaving that in God's hands.

Did you do the "right" thing? Maybe, maybe not. Who knows. We certainly won't know from one post on a forum that you have just joined (no offense intended). Are your kids spoiled and immature? Maybe. Are they resentful because you made the wrong decisions? Maybe. But that is why it is so important to pray about these things and to try to make decisions based on God's will.

As for turning back time. Maybe you need to apologize sincerely for what you perceive to be your failings, and then walk away. No child can spread their wings if they are being smothered.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1448378' date='Jan 20 2008, 11:20 AM']As far as my family, well the people who I (and God) consider my family. My dad's decent, I respect my parents, especally my mom who had to work occasionally. Actually, my mom and I are great friends. So don't judge me as someone who doesn't respect their elders.[/quote]

That Mark Twain quote was not directed at you. It was a response to a quip that someone else made.

[quote name='prose' post='1448387' date='Jan 20 2008, 10:41 AM']Ah man. Okay. This is too funny. You are 23 and have had a rough life. Welcome to the club. I can't help but notice that through this "rough life" you are surviving, no, THRIVING. You have a computer, are in university.

When you have lost a child, survived cancer, survived incest, beaten drug addictions, beaten alcoholism, raised a few children successfully, went bankrupt, lost close family members, and more, then maybe you can triumphantly announce that you have more difficulties than anyone here. Until then, you have your crosses to bear and we have ours. Get over yourself.[/quote]

:bigclap:

/hijack

Wasn't it Jesus himself that said that we must be like children to enter the kingdom of heaven?

Personally, I think asking for advice or comfort about if what they choose was right is a very childlike quality. Thank you apparent, for reminding us to be like children in the eyes of God, no matter what age.

Edited by Deus_te_Amat