An Old School Catholic Message Board

Game On, Hockey Fans

Ash Wednesday

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='SaintOlaf' post='1499152' date='Apr 14 2008, 11:59 AM']Actually, the 3 games I've been to in Detroit since the lockout have been rather lackluster. I think the fan base feels a little cheapened by the whole lockout thing (I know I felt that way) and the prices of tickets are still astronomical. Given the economy of Detroit and the surrounding area (I live about 40 minutes from the Joe) most people simply cannot afford to go to the playoff games, let alone non-playoff games. Other cheaper alternatives have taken precedence and the Hockey fanship has suffered. For the price of one Red Wings ticket, you can take your whole family to a Tigers game, or you can get 2 Piston's tickets, both of those teams are also performing at high levels (lol tigers this year tho) the last few years and are far better options in most people's opinions.

I still love the Red Wings, but something has to give at the upper level. Prices that high aren't needed since we now have a salary cap, it should make the game more accessible.

/rant off

:mellow:[/quote]

completely agree. i think it is sad that Michiganders would rather take road trips to MN and IL to see the Red Wings play than pay the high price of tickets to see them play at home. i even went to an Avs vs Wings game here in Denver this season, and there were SO many Red Wings fans in the house! i love watching away games for the Wings, when you hear the crowd cheering, "Let's Go, Red Wings!," but i hate (don't hate, appreciate) to see home games for the Wings with a bunch of empty seats. pretty sad.

BTW - i think it is interesting that all of the Western team series are at 3-2 right now, while two of the Eastern team series were decided in four or five games.

:clap:

so, we just used the government coupon for a digital antenna, and now we have...

NBC! (we didn't have it before with the analog antenna)

That means - GAME ON!! Rockin'! i don't have to find out everything from Yahoo! Sports anymore! Guess that means i'll be watching the Wings tomorrow!

:tvhappy:

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1503700' date='Apr 19 2008, 10:46 PM']The Boston/Montreal game today was amazing!

:bigshock:[/quote]

especially the 3rd period.

Rangers eliminated the Devils yesterday!! :) And Brodeur showed his lack of class by refusing to shake Avery's hand. Sure Avery's hand/stickwaving antics in front of Brodeur were rather bizarre but, at the time there was no rule against it. Avery was just playing the game the way he knows how.

Ash Wednesday

Well, I wouldn't say calling someone "fatso" on television is classy, either. If that's the only way Avery knows how to play the game, then God help him.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1503918' date='Apr 20 2008, 05:09 AM']"I'm not fat, I've just got a sweet hockey body"[/quote]

:hehe:

[quote name='Tony' post='1503837' date='Apr 20 2008, 12:31 AM']especially the 3rd period.
Rangers eliminated the Devils yesterday!! :) And Brodeur showed his lack of class by refusing to shake Avery's hand. Sure Avery's hand/stickwaving antics in front of Brodeur were rather bizarre but, at the time there was no rule against it. Avery was just playing the game the way he knows how.[/quote]
I was all for Marty not shaking his hand. Avery was criticized by basically the whole league for his tactics.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='XIX' post='1503975' date='Apr 20 2008, 08:07 AM']I was all for Marty not shaking his hand. Avery was criticized by basically the whole league for his tactics.[/quote]

Agreed. Even though there was no rule about that kind of hack behavior at the time, conversely there's no rule that says you have to shake someone's hand after the game, as long as we are talking about rules and taking the higher road. Avery didn't exactly make much an attempt to shake Brodeur's hand, either.

His three Stanley Cup rings were weighing his hand down, and he was just giving his arm a rest. :mellow:

Edited by XIX

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='XIX' post='1504083' date='Apr 20 2008, 11:20 AM']His three Stanley Cup rings were weighing his hand down, and he was just giving his arm a rest. :mellow:[/quote]

Like the time Patrick Roy said he couldn't hear what Roenick was saying because he had two Stanley Cup rings plugging his ears.

:lol_roll:

"I can't really heard. What Jeremy says, because. I got my two Stanley Cup rings. Plug in my ear."

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaiN8HjEy74"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaiN8HjEy74[/url]

Edited by XIX