An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Colorado Is The Best Place To Live

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1546428' date='May 28 2008, 12:59 PM']+J.M.J.+
two of my friends went there for Theology of the Body training at St. Malo.
:pimp:[/quote]

No way!!! i probably met them!! So :cool:

157. Every president (as long as he serves at least four years) comes to Colorado at least once as president for the cadets' graduation at the Academy (he rotates yearly between the four branches of the armed forces).

158. Today, President Bush came to Colorado Springs for the 50th graduating class at the AF Academy.

159. Air Force One flew in and out of Peterson AFB, where my brother-in-law works.

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1546626' date='May 28 2008, 01:37 PM']156.
No way!!! i probably met them!! So :cool:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
are you serious? you were at it just a couple of weeks ago? :shock:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1546680' date='May 28 2008, 02:51 PM']+J.M.J.+
are you serious? you were at it just a couple of weeks ago? :shock:[/quote]

yep.

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1546917' date='May 28 2008, 03:13 PM']yep.[/quote]
pm'ing you. :))

160. Mountain Time Zone.

Which works well, when a certain game begins at 8pm ET on NBC but you have a finance council meeting at the same time: i got home with 6 minutes left in the third period, so i was able to wait for the game to finish taping, rewind it, watch the game before anyone could spoil anything, and i'll still make it to bed before midnight MT. Not too shabby; go Wings.

162. Today, a petition for a personhood state amendment, which i signed a few months ago, was accepted:

[quote]DENVER, May 29 (UPI) -- The question of personhood will be on the Colorado ballot in November, something supporters say is a first in U.S. history.

Colorado for Equal Rights said it was notified by the Colorado Secretary of State's Office enough valid signatures had been submitted to place the Every Person is a Person Amendment on the ballot, the initiative's sponsor said in a Christian Newswire release Thursday.

"The people of Colorado have spoken, the Secretary of State's Office has certified our signatures and our equal rights amendment will be on November's ballot," stated Kristi Burton, the initiative sponsor. "All humans should be protected by love and by law, and this amendment is a historic effort to ensure equal rights for every person."

The Secretary of State's Office said a random sampling indicated 103,377 valid signatures were submitted, surpassing the 76,047 required.[/quote]

:clap:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1548923' date='May 29 2008, 11:11 PM']+J.M.J.+
cool cool[/quote]

Isn't it?

:sign:

more on the amendment:

[quote]The proposed amendment is just one sentence long. It states, "the terms 'person' or 'persons' shall include any human being from the moment of fertilization. Critics say the language is far too simple. but proponents say that's exactly the point.

"We do believe that every person needs to be protected no matter how small," said Kristi Burton, sponsor of the Personhood Amendment. She hopes it will mean an end to Roe vs. Wade, the Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion, and lay the groundwork for a fetal homicide law.

She says the initiative is short for a reason. "Definitions should be simple. When we make definitions pages long, that's when they're hard to interpret," she said.

"Its so vaguely written that its deceptive and dangerous," said Katie Groke Ellis, spokesperson for Protect Families, Protect Choices. She says the proposal could have far-reaching consequences for women's health and birth control.

"If a birth control affects fertilization, it could potentially be banned by this amendment,' she said.

She says it could also ban in-vitro fertilization, medical research, and more. "If you're, you know, a cancer patient, some treatments might be difficult. Anything that could endanger a fetus would be outlawed."

"that's a scare tactic," said Burton. "They are trying to distract from the real issue, which is 'when does life begin?' The opposition does not have an answer to that."

Burton says courts would have to balance the interests of two lives.

"Certainly when a mother's life is in danger, her life is just as valuable as an unborn child's life, and that is definitely going to be taken into consideration," she said.

While federal law would trump this state amendment, Burton argues it would make the case for overturning Roe vs. Wade, because part of the written opinion states, "The constitution does not define a person," but that if personhood is established, the case for abortion collapses.[/quote]

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1549019' date='May 29 2008, 11:42 PM']+J.M.J.+
our bishops didn't go for it. :ohno:[/quote]

why not?

163. Absolutely gorgeous weather for late afternoon bike rides in May. Windy, but not that hot/humid East Coast kind of wind. Just nice!!