An Old School Catholic Message Board

Death Penalty

rckllnknny

Autumn Dusk

[quote name='kujo' post='1559987' date='Jun 5 2008, 06:28 PM']I think prisons should stop coddling lifers....they should be in solitary confinement, given the bare minimum interaction and activity needed to keep them alive. Instead of death penalty, lock these people away in some serious prisons and we'll see the deterrent.[/quote]

I've talked to people who work in maximum security prisions...these men have all day to figure out how to communicate. They talk by morse code on cell walls, they talk through drain pipes on toilets. They make tiny bow's and shoot paper message arrows under cracks in doors. Those are just a few more obvious ways.

My opinion is in complete accord with the CCC and relevant recent teachings of JPII. That said, I would not consider it unjust nor cruel and unusual for murderers to have to earn their own subsistence in prison for life.

[quote name='kujo' post='1559975' date='Jun 5 2008, 04:18 PM']Absolutely nothing. That's the point, Rev. He is obviously not interested in hearing truth, or even debating it. Instead, he is just posting sound bites: "The death penalty killed Jesus," "an eye for an eye makes the whole earth blind," etc. Don't even worry about him. He's only interested in hearing himself speak...erm.....I mean [i]type[/i].[/quote]

Well stated, sir.

Autumn Dusk

[quote name='Veridicus' post='1560127' date='Jun 5 2008, 07:49 PM']That said, I would not consider it unjust nor cruel and unusual for murderers to have to earn their own subsistence in prison for life.[/quote]

The problem is that its hard to do this with psycopaths who are a danger to themselves and everyone around them.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1560135' date='Jun 5 2008, 05:53 PM']The problem is that its hard to do this with psycopaths who are a danger to themselves and everyone around them.[/quote]

That's true. I would venture to say that the majority of people in prison are capable of working...of course there would be exceptions. Feel free to cite somethin to disprove my assumption that most people are capable of working.

rckllnknny

quote/ by rev
What does that have to do with the debate sir?

how does your question even make sense buddy??
bcuz jesus was sentenced to the death penalty. pretty black and white from here sir.

quote/ by kujo
I think prisons should stop coddling lifers....they should be in solitary confinement, given the bare minimum interaction and activity needed to keep them alive. Instead of death penalty, lock these people away in some serious prisons and we'll see the deterrent.
unquote/

i strongly agree.

quote/
QUOTE(Revprodeji @ Jun 5 2008, 02:22 PM)
What does that have to do with the debate sir?

Absolutely nothing. That's the point, Rev. He is obviously not interested in hearing truth, or even debating it. Instead, he is just posting sound bites: "The death penalty killed Jesus," "an eye for an eye makes the whole earth blind," etc. Don't even worry about him. He's only interested in hearing himself speak...erm.....I mean type.
unquote/

lol. perhaps. but i hav a reason to what i say. i tend to believ tho however theres a purpose to my life. and i guess i kinda believe in standing up for what i believe in.
you can condemn me. if you want. jesus was too. but God knows the truth. it took jesuss death before they admitted he was truly a righteous man. jesus dint stand around preaching the government that was prosecuting him he stood up for what he believed in too.

Edited by rckllnknny

cmotherofpirl

I fully support the death penaly for convicted killers. If you have 10 million people in prison, and only execute 20 a year, that means the death penalty is a rare event. For murder of an innocent, you forfeit your life in return. That teaching has not changed, it is part of natural life upheld by the Church.

Autumn Dusk

[quote name='Veridicus' post='1560139' date='Jun 5 2008, 07:56 PM']That's true. I would venture to say that the majority of people in prison are capable of working...of course there would be exceptions. Feel free to cite somethin to disprove my assumption that most people are capable of working.[/quote]

Minimum and medium security...yes, totally, all those people should be rehabilitated or able to do some kind of work. However, it carries risk. Many people learn in jail. Or some truly psychopathic prisoners end up in a lower rated detention facility before they eventually commit a worse crime. Could they sort mail under massive supervision or dig ditches?

And there are prison-work restitution programs...not enough, however. I like the one where "reformed" prisoners train seeing-eye & disability dogs. It gives them much more to hope in that a menial job...and much more at stake when to working towards their recovery and healing.

Maximum security & long term solitary (which I think is 1/6 the adult prison population) absolutely not. not ever.

Autumn Dusk

[quote name='rckllnknny' post='1560213' date='Jun 5 2008, 08:33 PM']good job on your homework. (if that means anything to ya.)[/quote]

I've never taken education (or library or computer access) for granted. I've studied criminal justice, animal therapy, neurology, childhood psychiatric disorders, theology, ecology, special education, management, US History, World history, theater, psychology, leadership....just to name my favorites. Now, I only hold a degree in one of those, but I never stop learning. I eat information as if my life depends on it

dominicansoul

I agree with the death penalty, in that , a murderer should be executed if he is definitely a threat to society. In Texas, we had a serial killer by the name of Kenneth Allan McDuff. This man killed several people. He had been on death row, but then death row was stopped for a while in Texas, and they released him. In his time out, he killed again and again. He kept going to prison, and getting out on parole. During his time out, he always killed and killed and killed. Back in the early 90's, he kidnapped a young woman, brutally raped and murdered her by punching her to death. He then killed another woman a few days later. FINALLY Texas took this man off the streets after 32 years of murdering people and put him to death in 1998. I remember watching this man's trial on the news reports, and he was a very scary man. I never thought twice about his conviction. I knew his execution was definitely justifiable, because this man was a great danger to society.

I am 100% pro-life. I don't think this case changes that...

There is no reason to put anyone to death. It has been proven that the death penalty does not deter crime, it costs more in dollars than life in prison and is a stain on humanity.
Let God punish.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Deb' post='1560512' date='Jun 5 2008, 11:10 PM']There is no reason to put anyone to death. It has been proven that the death penalty does not deter crime, it costs more in dollars than life in prison and is a stain on humanity.
Let God punish.[/quote]
Justice is an excellent reason to put a murderer to death. And YES the death penalty does deter crime: [url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/11/AR2007061100406.html"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7061100406.html[/url]

It only costs more dollars because we keep putting executions off. Capital punishment actually promotes the sanctity of life, because wanton murder means your forfeit your own.It actually shows how important one life is and the ultimate penalty for taking it.