Chestertonian Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='Winchester' date='04 October 2009 - 10:12 PM' timestamp='1254715938' post='1977933'] You still flirted. [/quote]
Winchester Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 I will take you under my wing. I will call you Chico.
Sojourner Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='saintbernie' date='04 October 2009 - 11:43 PM' timestamp='1254714215' post='1977908'] Most of the religious Christians I know are not going, understandably. You know, I think you're right... maybe I can be on sober patrol and actually do some good there! God wouldn't have given me this if He knew I couldn't handle it. Cheers! [/quote] Maybe you should encourage more of the practicing Christians you know to go (at least, those who wouldn't be tempted by the vices that will be present). I know from experience that it is possible to have really fun college parties without drinking, sleaze, or nudity. If your Christian friends are creative at all maybe they can help shift the tone a bit ... if not for the whole party, at least for themselves. There is strength in numbers.
ardillacid Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='Winchester' date='04 October 2009 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1254713369' post='1977892'] you love her avatar. [/quote] Me too!
Resurrexi Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='saintbernie' date='04 October 2009 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1254714020' post='1977903'] I don't think so, but does that matter? [/quote] Yes. If it is a Catholic or an Eastern Orthodox church that has been properly consecrated or blessed, it would be sacrilegious to have that sort of a party in it. If it a Protestant building, it would not be objectively sinful to throw a party there.
Guest Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Resurrexi' date='05 October 2009 - 12:52 AM' timestamp='1254718371' post='1977994'] Yes. If it a Protestant building, it would not be objectively sinful to throw a party there. [/quote] or burn it when finished. and mabey any left over heretics. Edited October 5, 2009 by Guest
Vincent Vega Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' date='05 October 2009 - 12:52 AM' timestamp='1254718371' post='1977994'] Yes. If it is a Catholic or an Eastern Orthodox church that has been properly consecrated or blessed, it would be sacrilegious to have that sort of a party in it. [/quote] Here is the pertinent canon law, for any interested party: [quote] Canon 1222 §1 If a church cannot in any way be used for divine worship and there is no possibility of its being restored, the diocesan Bishop may allow it to be used for some secular but not unbecoming purpose. §2 Where other grave reasons suggest that a particular church should no longer be used for divine worship, the diocesan Bishop may allow it to be used for a secular but not unbecoming purpose. Before doing so, he must consult the council of priests; he must also have the consent of those who could lawfully claim rights over that church, and be sure that the good of souls would not be harmed by the transfer.[/quote] (This is a first for me - I've never quoted canon law before. It's empowering. )
Vincent Vega Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 But Rex is right - it wouldn't be objectively sinful to throw a party there just because it was once a protestant building. No more so than anywhere else people have prayed before (from airport 'meditation facilities' to abortion clinics...though I'm not sure why you'd have a party at either place).
saintbernie Posted October 5, 2009 Author Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='mommas_boy' date='05 October 2009 - 03:14 PM' timestamp='1254716041' post='1977935'] Ya know, the young lady in question is new to the phorum ... Welcome saintbernie! LOL .... [/quote] Haha, thank you so much! And thanks for your words of advice. This thread is getting a little off-topic...
Winchester Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='Delivery Boy' date='05 October 2009 - 12:54 AM' timestamp='1254718486' post='1977997'] or burn it when finished. and mabey any left over heretics. [/quote] [img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/pokeystockman/monty_python_witch-701441.jpg[/img]
Vincent Vega Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='saintbernie' date='05 October 2009 - 01:06 AM' timestamp='1254719179' post='1978015'] This thread is getting a little off-topic... [/quote] Aaaaaand welcome to Phatmass.
Sojourner Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 Just a word of caution: I think drool can short out keyboards.
saintbernie Posted October 5, 2009 Author Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='05 October 2009 - 03:58 PM' timestamp='1254718700' post='1978003'] Here is the pertinent canon law, for any interested party: (This is a first for me - I've never quoted canon law before. It's empowering. ) [/quote] Haha, I'm honored that your first time quoting canon law occurred on my thread. That's really cool info - I didn't know that. I feel (a tiny bit) less guilty for partying/watching others party in the church, then. I still feel it's inappropriate. But... I'm a bit of a prude. LOL. Cheers x
saintbernie Posted October 5, 2009 Author Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='Terra Firma' date='05 October 2009 - 03:31 PM' timestamp='1254717065' post='1977960'] Maybe you should encourage more of the practicing Christians you know to go (at least, those who wouldn't be tempted by the vices that will be present). I know from experience that it is possible to have really fun college parties without drinking, sleaze, or nudity. If your Christian friends are creative at all maybe they can help shift the tone a bit ... if not for the whole party, at least for themselves. There is strength in numbers. [/quote] You know, that's a wonderful idea! Thanks heaps. By the way, early congrats on your little bundle of joy! I cannot wait to be (married and) pregnant! Lucky you.
Guest Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='saintbernie' date='05 October 2009 - 01:15 AM' timestamp='1254719738' post='1978025'] You know, that's a wonderful idea! Thanks heaps. By the way, early congrats on your little bundle of joy! I cannot wait to be (married and) pregnant! Lucky you. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img] [/quote] I'm looking for a wife. Let me know.
Sojourner Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='saintbernie' date='05 October 2009 - 01:15 AM' timestamp='1254719738' post='1978025'] You know, that's a wonderful idea! Thanks heaps. By the way, early congrats on your little bundle of joy! I cannot wait to be (married and) pregnant! Lucky you. [/quote] Thanks. We are very happy. There are times it's appropriate to stay away from things like this, but there are also times it is important for Christians to provide a solid example of how things can be different. Perhaps the latter can be true for you in this case. You at least have time to talk it up and see if you can get some support.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now