An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wearing Veils In Mass.

DiscerningSoul

Archaeology cat

[quote name='HisChild' date='30 January 2010 - 10:42 PM' timestamp='1264891339' post='2047923']
How do you veil? Many Roman Catholic women use lace mantillas, but I've seen many Byzantine Catholics use either a scarf and tie under the chin, or behind the hairline at the back of the neck, or like a jewish tichel. Do you use creative ways to tie your scarf or use one way in general?
[/quote]
I either wear a mantilla, or a headscarf. With the headscarf, I either wrap it around a bun, or cross it in front under my chin and have the ends hanging down in the back.

princessgianna

Another option for the stly'n personilty. :cool:

[img]http://www.stilettosetsports.com/wp-content/uploads/beigh-satin-church-hat.jpg[/img]

:love: I love to wear hats too.

EDIT: though they are not as humble as the mantilla and tend to be more expensive but hey a girl can dream right>?

Edited by princessgianna

DiscerningSoul

Today another woman wore a hat at Mass, I thanked her for doing so.
I prayed for all of you who are nervous about veiling.
Many more prayers to you. :saint:

• 1 year later...
FutureSister2009

My first time felt like I should've been doing it for years. It felt right. I wish I had started a long time ago.:nunpray:

Archaeology cat

Today after Mass a lady wearing a mantilla came up to me and said that she's worn her mantilla since she was young, but can't seem to find them now. She was wondering if I went to Spain to get mine, but I explained that a friend gave it to me, and I don't know where she got it, as she travels quite a bit. The lady just commented that you don't see people wearing them much now, sadly.

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1303219466' post='2230148']
Today after Mass a lady wearing a mantilla came up to me and said that she's worn her mantilla since she was young, but can't seem to find them now. She was wondering if I went to Spain to get mine, but I explained that a friend gave it to me, and I don't know where she got it, as she travels quite a bit. The lady just commented that you don't see people wearing them much now, sadly.
[/quote]

You can find them quite easily online. Otherwise, I don't know. My friend saw some mantillas at a vintage store once...

InPersonaChriste

Hmm..

I started at ten so I really dont remember my first time. But I do remember being slightly embarrassed when I am the only veiled young woman in youth group or in a less-traditional church. I have been asked many times why I wear it.

JessicaKoch

For Lent I am wearing a veil 24/7 thats how I started wearing veils in Mass by doing it for Lent, but now its more then that its a constint reminder of Mary!:nunpray:

[quote name='brightsadness' timestamp='1264884275' post='2047848']
10 Therefore ought the woman to have a power over her head, because of the angels.

When I was 12 and the priest asked me why I was covering. I answered "because of the angels." because that was what was given me to say.

Every time I veil the grace is with me.and I rremember.
[/quote]

This is officially my new favorite answer to "Why do you wear a veil?". Thank you!!!

Studiumecclesiae

I have a nice mantilla, and I get different colour according to liturgical time. Time of penance - black. Time of joy like Easter - white. :angel:

• 9 months later...
FutureCarmeliteClaire

I have like 6, and I wont leave any at home because I have an attachment to all of them... So, I carry a small pouch within my purse that holds them all... I know, I have issues.

I love my chapel veil. I've been wearing it for a couple of years. Really, I thought it would set off a flurry of other women veiling but were too afraid to be "first". The strange thing is (to me) that no one really took my lead. I'm still the only one veiling. No one has ever asked anything about it so I just do my thing.

JMJT

I just started wearing my white veil about a year and a half ago. When I first started wearing it I did not feel weird because almost everyone where I go to Mass wears a veil. (I attend Latin Mass with FSSP) I've come to realize that wearing a veil really helps me to foster the union with our Lord during Mass that He wants us to have with Him. I can stay focused without worrying about having any attention on me and have my complete attention on the Mass or other prayers. This is a reminder to us to remain in union with our Lord doing everything through Him, with Him, and in Him. Wearing the veil has definitely helped me to understand the deeper meaning of these words.

Praised be Jesus Christ!