An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1307724187' post='2252039']
Long story short: I have an interview with another parish for a DRE position, located near the Sisters, which would allow me to live with them and continue to work. It's all come up within the last five days or so, very much unexpected.
[/quote]

Wonderful! That would be so great that you would be able to live with them. Maybe it will help with the waiting period in that you don't feel like you are separated from them. I'll pray that everything works out! God works in mysterious ways. :)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1307724349' post='2252040']
Wonderful! That would be so great that you would be able to live with them. Maybe it will help with the waiting period in that you don't feel like you are separated from them. I'll pray that everything works out! God works in mysterious ways. :)
[/quote]

We'll see! There are a lot of pros to the possibility, as well as a lot of cons. I'm not sure what [i]I[/i] want to happen... which is probably a good thing, since I don't want to do my own will in all of this anyways!

FutureSister2009

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1307725257' post='2252045']
We'll see! There are a lot of pros to the possibility, as well as a lot of cons. I'm not sure what [i]I[/i] want to happen... which is probably a good thing, since I don't want to do my own will in all of this anyways!
[/quote]

Let us know what happens! We're praying for you! :pray:

faithcecelia

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1307724187' post='2252039']
Long story short: I have an interview with another parish for a DRE position, located near the Sisters, which would allow me to live with them and continue to work. It's all come up within the last five days or so, very much unexpected.
[/quote]

Oh I didn't know about this either. It was something one of the communities I began discernment with talked about maybe trying with me. Am I right in thinking you need to work due to debt? If so, i think more and more communities are recognising that this is just how it is these days and are considering this scenario if they are not in a position to help financially. It will also give you a taste of the life too, which could be useful. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers xxx :nunpray:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1307727597' post='2252058']
Oh I didn't know about this either. It was something one of the communities I began discernment with talked about maybe trying with me. Am I right in thinking you need to work due to debt? If so, i think more and more communities are recognising that this is just how it is these days and are considering this scenario if they are not in a position to help financially. It will also give you a taste of the life too, which could be useful. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers xxx :nunpray:
[/quote]

Yes, I'm working off my debt.

This option was presented to me last year, shortly after being accepted, but due to many considerations (not the least of which was job availability), I took a job at home (other side of the country from the sisters). On Monday I heard from the sisters again, and this time they re-presented the option, but with a little more it-would-be-preferred-if-you-did-this flavor. So, after talking with my spiritual director, I decided to send out some applications and just see what happens. I got a call on one of my resumes not even 24 hours after submitting it, had a first interview, and will be doing a second interview (over the phone- conference call) on Tuesday.

Talk about crazy!

Honestly- I had never thought of returning to this option. I just rather assumed that I'd be at my current parish working until I enter. So I was really thrown off when the sisters recommended it. Now I'm even more thrown off at how quickly things are moving!

Of course, I think there's a slim chance of me getting this job. The interview went extremely well and they were very pleased with me as a candidate... But I've been very open with my timeline situation. I'll only be working for 1 1/2 to 2 years. So that definitely plays against me. If it weren't for that, I'd be fairly confident of getting it.

But, who knows! God's will works in mysterious ways. As my spiritual director said, if something opens up (especially with me being upfront about my timeline) then that'll be a pretty clear indicator of God's will in this situation.

It's just amusing to me... I'd finally gotten to the point where I was content with God's will- either that I stay at the parish paying off my loans or that He send a benefactor. And now He throws a third option into the mix that I certainly didn't have on my radar!

faithcecelia

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1307729997' post='2252082']
Yes, I'm working off my debt.

This option was presented to me last year, shortly after being accepted, but due to many considerations (not the least of which was job availability), I took a job at home (other side of the country from the sisters). On Monday I heard from the sisters again, and this time they re-presented the option, but with a little more it-would-be-preferred-if-you-did-this flavor. So, after talking with my spiritual director, I decided to send out some applications and just see what happens. I got a call on one of my resumes not even 24 hours after submitting it, had a first interview, and will be doing a second interview (over the phone- conference call) on Tuesday.

Talk about crazy!

Honestly- I had never thought of returning to this option. I just rather assumed that I'd be at my current parish working until I enter. So I was really thrown off when the sisters recommended it. Now I'm even more thrown off at how quickly things are moving!

Of course, I think there's a slim chance of me getting this job. The interview went extremely well and they were very pleased with me as a candidate... But I've been very open with my timeline situation. I'll only be working for 1 1/2 to 2 years. So that definitely plays against me. If it weren't for that, I'd be fairly confident of getting it.

But, who knows! God's will works in mysterious ways. As my spiritual director said, if something opens up (especially with me being upfront about my timeline) then that'll be a pretty clear indicator of God's will in this situation.

It's just amusing to me... I'd finally gotten to the point where I was content with God's will- either that I stay at the parish paying off my loans or that He send a benefactor. And now He throws a third option into the mix that I certainly didn't have on my radar!
[/quote]

I have a good feeling for you, somehow :saint: Oh I've got some praying to do this week, but there are few better times for that than Pentecost. :nunpray:

I have to get back in touch with Notting Hill Monday, if I still want to continue discerning with them - Monday can't come soon enough!:clapping:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1307732040' post='2252096']
I have a good feeling for you, somehow :saint: Oh I've got some praying to do this week, but there are few better times for that than Pentecost. :nunpray:

I have to get back in touch with Notting Hill Monday, if I still want to continue discerning with them - Monday can't come soon enough!:clapping:
[/quote]

Thanks for the prayers :saint: God's will be done!!

Good luck with Notting Hill! Prayers for you too! :nunpray:

Echoing what everyone else has said TB: prayers! This is truly exciting and wonderful, but I completely understand that there are fears/concerns. How was the ordination? And did anything turn out with a benefactor?

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1307799977' post='2252333']
Echoing what everyone else has said TB: prayers! This is truly exciting and wonderful, but I completely understand that there are fears/concerns. How was the ordination? And did anything turn out with a benefactor?
[/quote]

The ordination and first Mass were... ineffable, beyond words. I've still be ruminating over the experience, trying to find a way to describe it for people... but so far I've only been able to even somewhat talk about it with my best friend, since she understands it without the words (we both had very much the same experience)!! But I promise a reflection when I can get one into words!!

Nothing new on a benefactor, unfortunately. But I don't think our prayers have been for naught. First, I received a few smaller donations, including one that was specifically made to pay for the trip! And had I not gone out there, none of this new job possibility would've sprang up. Including the strong recommendation I'm receiving from my campus chaplain who, by the way, is good friends with the pastor of the parish in question.

It's kind of freeing, in a way, to let God take care of all of this. All my life it's been me achieving something. And while there's still hard work involved now, my life is directed in a way that I'd never before have imagined. It's so freeing. And much like an adventure. I feel like a sailor who spends his life out at see, working the current voyage, but never knowing where the next one might lead him.

Thanks for the prayers! Please keep them coming! I just want to do God's will. I'm rather indifferent right now, as to what happens. But not indifferent in the "I don't care" sort of way, but in the "let God's will be done!" sort of way!

FutureSister2009

Okay so I'm in a "What do I do?" mood. I ended up not going to the Mission with the SSVMs. That was my decision and now I regret it. I only didn't go because I thought I decided I didn't want to meet them anymore. But God is still pushing me. So I emailed Sr. Maria again yesterday and she wrote me back today asking if I wanted to come to a retreat in D.C. with them next month for a weekend. And I already have been making plans about going on a retreat with the Children of Mary like the following weekend. I'm not registered for either retreat yet. Would I like to go to both? Yes very much but I think my mom will only let me pick one, because she's going to have to be the one to take me. I've been thinking more about the SSVMs than I have about the Children of Mary. I never knew this was so hard. About a year or two ago, I never thought I would be in this kind of situation. :wall:

faithcecelia

I just emailed Notting Hill again to try to arrange my next visit. I am quite suprised at how nervous I now feel - I had been totally calm, and I still am in some ways, but also very nervous. I think its fear of rejection reall, maybe more than before because first time round I was so hopeful and (like most I think) just didn't allow myself to consider it might go pear-shaped, whereas this time I am more wary. Anyway, I am praying and hoping and crossing everything that it will work out, because if it doesn't I don't think there are any other UK Carmels that attract me. I'll let you all know what happens....

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1307820453' post='2252412']
So I emailed Sr. Maria again yesterday and she wrote me back today asking if I wanted to come to a retreat in D.C. with them next month for a weekend.
[/quote]

Lord willing, I should be going on this as well. I have heard amazing things about the priest leading it. Also Ignatius retreats are great for discerning, regardless of the order. Ask your mom though, maybe you could go to both.

:like:

LaPetiteSoeur

Also, if your diocese has a discernment retreat, I highly recommend going. My diocese's was small (7 guys, 2 girls) and it was very interesting because of the differences in ages. There were only two teenagers and the other young woman there was in her 30s! But it was cool because we were all in different stages of discernment. We had an Oratorian, the assistant vocations director for the diocese, and a SCC!

We learned a lot and it was [i]wonderful. [/i]There's usually adoration, a praying of one of the hours, and Mass.

she_who_is_not

La Petite,
If you get a chance to go on a discernment retreat at the SCC motherhouse I would highly recommend that you do so. They are so helpful with discernment and aren't pushy or aggressive about "their" community. They sincerely want to help women discern. There is also so much love in that house!

FutureSister2009

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1308001769' post='2253343']
Lord willing, I should be going on this as well. I have heard amazing things about the priest leading it. Also Ignatius retreats are great for discerning, regardless of the order. Ask your mom though, maybe you could go to both.

:like:
[/quote]

One retreat is in D.C and the other is in Ohio. That is a lot of traveling. And my mother works weekends so it makes it even harder for her. I do think I would prefer to go with the SSVMs. But I just don't know how my mom feels about me going to D.C.

The bright side is that now that my other Sisters are almost done with the school year (they taught kindergarten), I should be able to spend more time with them. I'll probably get to go to Mass with them every day like I did last summer. One thing I would really love to do is spend a week with them in the Convent. That would be great for me. One of them will be going to Italy in July with the rest of the Order and I am going to ask her to mention to them that I am interested.