An Old School Catholic Message Board

If marijuana is legal is it moral?

You lose the argument when you compare marijuana and killing an unborn baby as similar evils. It's ridiculous. God created marijuana and called it good. The same cannot be said of abortion.

You're mixing my words, what I said was ​ that very same argument has been made to justify and legalize

In recent history, ​alcohol consumption, drunkenness, marijuana, abortion, gambling, adultery, slavery were once considered detrimental to mankind and  illegal. 

Acceptance of harmful behavior does not make it right

Wait, when was drunkenness legalized?

​it's called "happy hour" and can be found at your local friendly neighborhood tavern  -  Anywhere, USA

I think little2add is saying that "drunk driving" needs to be outlawed, not druink driving.

L2read

Credo in Deum

​it's called "happy hour" and can be found at your local friendly neighborhood tavern  -  Anywhere, USA

There isn't a faceplam epic enough for your post. 

You're mixing my words, what I said was ​ that very same argument has been made to justify and legalize

In recent history, ​alcohol consumption, drunkenness, marijuana, abortion, gambling, adultery, slavery were once considered detrimental to mankind and  illegal. 

Acceptance of harmful behavior does not make it right

With the exception of slavery, of course 

Lets for a minute entertain our lovely village smarty pantaloons.  We've got 2 veins going ...the "something being illegal must mean its immoral" thread and the "alchol only counts as immoral if one gets drunk"

You listed a number of really sinful things that have been made illegal and are immoral.  But we have a lot of things that are illegal but not immoral.  Do you ever buy mac'n'cheese out of a box?  If you're American you're doing something that is illegal in the UK as American boxed mac and cheese is illegal in the UK because of the coloring.  In many west coast American towns plastic bags are illegal.  Bloomberg in NYC tried to make big sodas illegal and while looking up this law I found out that NYC also indicates you cannot talk to people on an elevator.  In my state, Oregon, it's illegal to use candy corn as bait.  There is nothing sinful in itself about plastic bags, mac'n'cheese, or candy corn as bait.  And talking on an elevator?  I mean really according to the law you couldn't comfort a child or help a stranger.  Now thats not very moral behavior.  In addition our morals are shaped by our religious views.  there are quite a few religions that believe in Poligmay...anyway I degress

So lets tackle the second issue.  I'm average for a guy 5'10" and about 160lbs, but I cycle alot so it's muscle.  Lets also say that alchol companies only sold single serve beverages (beer, hard liquer and those awful fu-fu drinks that girls like) each with a biometric scanner.  This scanner is connected to your government-issued alcohol permission slip.  No one could ever buy more than 1.5 drinks a night.  Why?  Because we don't want to reward obesity and we know that at about 1.5 drinks a man of 160lbs can have a BAC high enough to cause trouble.  Would you really submit to this to prevent drunk driving, happy hour, and partying?  Are your ideals worth having morality legislated?  You say the laws are fine but in the same sentence you indicate they are not controlling the damage achol can do.  So are they fine or not?

I've been around lots of people who drink alcohol. I've been around lots of people who smoke weed. I've seen first hand the effects of each. Alcohol, by far (it's not even close), has a more negative effect on one's moral compass than weed does.

Of course, one should never drink or smoke to the point of this happening. It's sinful to do so.

But, I know many more people who drink and/or smoke completely responsibly than do not. Again, we go back to the point of the people who abuse things shed a negative light on it for everyone.

I shouldn't have to feel bad about enjoying a fine IPA or a nice Trappist beer because my idiot neighbor downs a 30 case of Keystone Light every night.

​i like a good IPA too

ipa is disgusting*

*I fully expect to get banned from phatmass but as  a lover of truth, I could not remain silent