An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

Don't be nervous. The sisters are just amesome, well I guess there is something to be nervous about....The snow, and I'm sure there will be lots of it which will mean very cold....

HB you forget where I come from, I am used to snow and cold. The only thing that might be an issue is if I can't get back out of there on Monday.

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1321596950' post='2337804']
So I just realized I am under 2 months until my retreat! I'm excited but the nerves are starting to kick in a bit.
[/quote]

That's right! I forgot about your retreat with the SMMC. I'll be praying for you. I know what that nervous feeling is like. Just remember that you gain so much graces from being around holy religious! ;)

Guest hermanita

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1321579713' post='2337611']

As a candidate do you live with the community full time or do you have live-ins and continue to work/study? I know what you mean about the habit. On my live in they were kind enough to show me a habit being made and explain about the different parts and what they wear under it. All the things I was nervous of asking before really.
[/quote]

The candidates live in community with each other and under the Vocation Director. It is a timeof learning about the community and deeper discerrnment as one livs the Charism in community.. You can't begin candidacy until totally free to enter (no debts etc.) basically you keep your car and money etc and work in a community apostolate and work with the Vocation Directoron spiritual life/discernment.. It's really about getting to know and be known both in the charism and the community. Think of it. No one enters the postulancy as a stranger to the community. You are already "family." Candidates still wear lay clothes for informal stuff but have brown skirts and blazers with white blouse and pin for formal stuff.. Also can keep cell phone and computer and have visits home etc. Candidacy is one-two years.

That sounds like a lovely arrangement, hermanita. :love: I'm so happy for you. God bless you as you go forward in this life.

I am due to make a visit next month. :) At this stage I don't want to give details about either the secular institute I'm interested in or the visit itself, for the sake of protecting my privacy, but I will share more if and when I become a candidate.

Guest hermanita

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1321795013' post='2338491']
That sounds like a lovely arrangement, hermanita. :love: I'm so happy for you. God bless you as you go forward in this life.

I am due to make a visit next month. :) At this stage I don't want to give details about either the secular institute I'm interested in or the visit itself, for the sake of protecting my privacy, but I will share more if and when I become a candidate.
[/quote]

Thank you. Prayers going up for you.

FutureSister2009

I know how much I have been talking about the truly wonderful community I have at my Parish that I want to discern with and I still am discerning with them. But lately I have been feeling the need to check out other communities which is what has lead me to start discerment with the DSMMEs and the Nashville Dominicans. I hope I can touch base with them and eventually visit with both of them. I don't know what God's trying to tell me but I guess I need more time for discernment.

Oh the local RSMs got back to me (after I left them a confusing phone message...:blush: ) I won't be in town for the first date they suggested but hopefully we will be able to work something out as far as a visit!

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1321596950' post='2337804']
So I just realized I am under 2 months until my retreat! I'm excited but the nerves are starting to kick in a bit.
[/quote]

so excited!

definitely nervous. :|

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1321939853' post='2339340']
Oh the local RSMs got back to me (after I left them a confusing phone message... :blush: ) I won't be in town for the first date they suggested but hopefully we will be able to work something out as far as a visit!
[/quote]

Nice! On that note, I am still waiting to hear back from the Postulant Director. I haven't received the confirmation email that she has read my email. It is a lesson in patience, that's for sure! If I don't hear from her within 2 weeks, I'll take the plunge and call her. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Ok heard back from the RSMs again we are now shooting for sometime between now and Dec 12th!!! AHHHHH!!!!
Mater I will pray that you hear back soon from the postulant director, (though having to call her would be razzle dazzle too).

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1322027204' post='2339700']
Ok heard back from the RSMs again we are now shooting for sometime between now and Dec 12th!!! AHHHHH!!!!
Mater I will pray that you hear back soon from the postulant director, (though having to call her would be razzle dazzle too).
[/quote]

A.wesome! :yahoo:

I hope I hear from Mother VERY soon! I don't know how patient I can be. This is a definite test.