A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='hermanita' timestamp='1321466255' post='2336927']
As soon as I get off work today, I'll be back on. So much to share. :blowkiss:
[/quote]

Am looking forward to hearing all about it

Guest hermanita

You know how it feels to come home at the end of a very hard day... and someone who cares about you smiles and lets you know they were waiting for you. That's what happened to me when I came into the chapel. As much as I'd seen it in pictures and on-line...when I prayed before the statue of O.L. of MT.Carmel, the first evening, it happened. Welcome daughter... and her holy infant showed me that the Carmelite call to be a spiritual mother..is mine. The Vocation Director had told me that usually during the first long visit both the discerner and the community can sense whether a person is called to continue discerning. What can I say. I am inspired by the love and family spirit of the community and the apostolate is amesome. It's all grounded in prayer. Totally Teresian. The sisters work and play very hard and are so much fun and it is all filled with the Spirit of the humility of Mary and love of Jesus.

Anyways, I am supposed to reflect on the experience for the next 3 weeks and then talk with the Vocation Director about it. Tentatively we've scheduled a second visit in January and I have a packet of paperwork. Thank God I had to do the autobiography before the visit. Going home for Christmas and will tell the family. My mother and aunt--a Dominican Sister-- already knew I was visiting Carmel. It was my Aunt who suggested them.

Formation is a long time. 1-2 yrs candidacy, 6-9 months postulancy, 2 years novitiate and 6 or 8 years (can't remember) temp vows. Growing a sister takes time .

Pray for me this ThanksGiving and Advent.

yours in gratitude for His Love,
hermanita

[quote name='hermanita' timestamp='1321490828' post='2337162']
You know how it feels to come home at the end of a very hard day... and someone who cares about you smiles and lets you know they were waiting for you. That's what happened to me when I came into the chapel. As much as I'd seen it in pictures and on-line...when I prayed before the statue of O.L. of MT.Carmel, the first evening, it happened. Welcome daughter... and her holy infant showed me that the Carmelite call to be a spiritual mother..is mine. The Vocation Director had told me that usually during the first long visit both the discerner and the community can sense whether a person is called to continue discerning. What can I say. I am inspired by the love and family spirit of the community and the apostolate is amesome. It's all grounded in prayer. Totally Teresian. The sisters work and play very hard and are so much fun and it is all filled with the Spirit of the humility of Mary and love of Jesus.

Anyways, I am supposed to reflect on the experience for the next 3 weeks and then talk with the Vocation Director about it. Tentatively we've scheduled a second visit in January and I have a packet of paperwork. Thank God I had to do the autobiography before the visit. Going home for Christmas and will tell the family. My mother and aunt--a Dominican Sister-- already knew I was visiting Carmel. It was my Aunt who suggested them.

Formation is a long time. 1-2 yrs candidacy, 6-9 months postulancy, 2 years novitiate and 6 or 8 years (can't remember) temp vows. Growing a sister takes time .

hermanita
[/quote]

How exciting! I know, from what I'm going through right now, that the waiting is hard, but so purifying. Praised be Jesus Christ! :woot: :woot:

AccountDeleted

You know how it feels to come home at the end of a very hard day... and someone who cares about you smiles and lets you know they were waiting for you. That's what happened to me when I came into the chapel. [/quote]

I like this. I know you were speaking in a spiritual sense but I have also been hoping and praying that this time, I would find a community where they were actually kind and I could feel 'at home'. Now I know that we are all human beings and have bad days so I certainly don't expect a community full of saints (God knows I am not one). But I was thinking how nice it would be if I could at least feel 'welcomed' instead of just 'tested' all the time and feeling as if I have to 'endure' rather than rejoice in my sisters. I am from a very large family (six brothers and two sisters) and we are all completely different and we do have disagreements and misunderstandings. But I grew up feeling part of a loving and supportive group. I guess I have been seeking to find something a little similar to this in religious life. I don't know if this is idealistic or not, but I have heard some religious describe their communities in this way - they feel part of a family and not just a community.

I have been in contact with a few communities in the US now as well as in the UK simply because it would be so much easier for me to go to the US permanently (no visa required for me) and I have been pleasantly surprised by the warm responses I have received. One sister wrote simply to tell me that there would be a slight delay in getting back to my enquiry for various reasons but she didn't want me to go without any response at all since she knows how hard it is to wait when one is discerning,and she told me when they would get back to me again. This was so sweet, and it made me think that this community must be a very considerate one to be thinking about a discerner's feelings like this. Despite how busy they must be, they took time to send the response - to me that is charity. And that is the kind of thing that I am hoping for in a community - a place where there is consideration and kindness. The life itself is hard enough, and since generosity of spirit just seems to be contagious, a little kindness can sure go a long way.

So next year, I might be doing quite a bit of travelling if I am going to visit the UK and the US! I might need to get a 'round the world' ticket (if I can afford it) - :) But one step at a time, and I still have to live my daily life as well :P

hermanita
[/quote]

how wonderful. :love:

May our Lady keep you close to her heart during this time. prayers.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1321501002' post='2337253']
i dont know what i have got myself into
[/quote]

No. you don't. And it is going to get even more interesting as time goes on..... :P

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1321501258' post='2337255']

No. you don't. And it is going to get even more interesting as time goes on..... :P
[/quote]

i know

Strictlyinkblot

hermanita
[/quote]

I felt something similar when I had my live in. Just like I'd come home. That sounds like a very long formation. Not that it matters once you're there. Mine would be 6months-1year postulancy, 2 years novitiate, 3 years temporary vows with an option to take another 1 to 3 years then solemn vows.

I hope and pray it all goes well for you.

FutureSister2009

I forgot to mention that our Women's Discernment Group will officially be working it's way into progress after Thanksgivng. We are meeting for dinner and discussion in December. I'm really excited about it. I can see God working slowly. I try to trust Him and His plan and I'm always praying for acceptance. I finally will have a comfortable outlet for sharing my desires to follow Our Lord and dedicate my life to serving Him

Guest hermanita

Just have to tell it!!!Got an email from one of my high school teachers who attended the Steubie Vocation Day for her community. [u]She [/u]received an email from one of the Carmelite vocation team she met there who told her how much they all "loved having ---" visit and are looking forward to the next time.

God is Good!

Guest hermanita

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1321521924' post='2337323']

I felt something similar when I had my live in. Just like I'd come home. That sounds like a very long formation. Not that it matters once you're there. Mine would be 6months-1year postulancy, 2 years novitiate, 3 years temporary vows with an option to take another 1 to 3 years then solemn vows.

I hope and pray it all goes well for you.
[/quote]

Thank you.

The vocation director was clear and direct that the community believes in not rushing formation. The last year in temp vows is a second novitiate/tertianship back at the Motherhouse. I 'm glad for that wisdom. starting to picture myself in brown (candidates wear brown, postulants and novices blue , and of course professed the belovedhabit and brown scapular.)

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='hermanita' timestamp='1321579349' post='2337602']

Thank you.

The vocation director was clear and direct that the community believes in not rushing formation. The last year in temp vows is a second novitiate/tertianship back at the Motherhouse. I 'm glad for that wisdom. starting to picture myself in brown (candidates wear brown, postulants and novices blue , and of course professed the belovedhabit and brown scapular.)
[/quote]

As a candidate do you live with the community full time or do you have live-ins and continue to work/study? I know what you mean about the habit. On my live in they were kind enough to show me a habit being made and explain about the different parts and what they wear under it. All the things I was nervous of asking before really.