An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1320618179' post='2332301']
Also, something random and unexpected...

It is quite likely that I will be invested with the holy habit... wow, in exactly a month from tomorrow.

All of the sudden, the thought of being in habit terrifies me. In the sort of 'I am not worthy' way. I used to be sooo excited about it. And I still am... but in a different sort of way. Mostly, however, I'm terrified because of how absolutely unworthy I am to receive it.
[/quote]

Whoa.

But I'm confused. Not that I think you're unworthy, but I thought postulancy HAD to be at least six months.

Well I'm assuming your superiors know more about such things than I do (one would certainly hope!), so I'll just say "yay!"

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1320696345' post='2332685']

Whoa.

But I'm confused. Not that I think you're unworthy, but I thought postulancy HAD to be at least six months.

Well I'm assuming your superiors know more about such things than I do (one would certainly hope!), so I'll just say "yay!"
[/quote]

Canonically speaking, there is no requirement for postulancy except that their be a period of "asking/seeking". There [i]is[/i] a requirement of a full canonical year (twelve months) for Novitiate. This is why the postulancy differs amongst communities. For instance, the Dominican friars have a very short (five days?) postulancy, and then they are immediately clothed as novices. The female Dominicans, in contrast, have a year-long postulancy before becoming novices.

But, canonically speaking, there is no requirement for postulancy.

I have been away from VS for so long, I didn't know about the news, TB! SO thrilled for you!!! Be assured of our prayers and please keep us in yours, as well!

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1320767909' post='2333209']
I have been away from VS for so long, I didn't know about the news, TB! SO thrilled for you!!! Be assured of our prayers and please keep us in yours, as well!
[/quote]

Thanks Cherie! Definitely praying for all here on phatmass!

brandelynmarie

I went and lurked on the SSVM's website & I noticed that everyone starts out with the same postulancy & novitiate, but is it the junioriate where one discerns contemplative life vs the more active one?

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1320786425' post='2333335']
I went and lurked on the SSVM's website & I noticed that everyone starts out with the same postulancy & novitiate, but is it the junioriate where one discerns contemplative life vs the more active one?
[/quote]

That's correct- we all receive the same initial formation. When it comes time to receive one's "destino" or mission, it is then that one might, after much discernment and prayer, request admission into the contemplative branch.

If you don't mind my asking, TB, was this the normal course you were taking and time just got away from me, or did something happen which made it possible for you to enter sooner than expected?

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1320807642' post='2333532']
If you don't mind my asking, TB, was this the normal course you were taking and time just got away from me, or did something happen which made it possible for you to enter sooner than expected?
[/quote]

Ah, no, God intervened and provided a way that vastly quickened my entrance! God knows. But for some reason He wanted me sooner rather than later!

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1320936314' post='2334286']
Strange.

My last full day as a non-religious. o_O
[/quote]

:yahoo: :woot:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1320936567' post='2334292']
Bittersweet, no? :|
[/quote]

Hm. Something close to bittersweet. I can't quite put words to it.

I'm definitely ready. Taking care of these final loose ends is becoming irksome, although necessary.

I recognize the gravity of what I'm getting myself into, and that, in part, terrifies me. Not in a 'scared-run-away' sort of way... but... well, I don't know. Words aren't coming to me right now. But it's that moment when your ego and reason meet... and your ego recognizes that the actions you are taking are going to make itself die... and it doesn't quite want to die yet. But your will is set and firm, assisted by God's grace. And it's when your intellect and heart grasp just how much God loves you and just how little you deserve that love and your instinct is to run away from that love... but you don't, because your will is set and firm, assisted by God's grace.

Friends want to talk to me, to see me before I enter. I'm rather indifferent to that, but I indulge in part for their sake.

It's all kind of a surreal feeling. Not so much an intense feeling in any direction... but surreal.