An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1315423461' post='2301707']

You're welcome. Sr. Francis is very nice. She was intimidating to me a little because of how much I love the order (I mean, I REALLY love them). If I could enter anywhere in the world, it would be the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal. But I am 100% sure I am not called to enter there because I went to visit them in January 2010 and my certain circumstances prevent me from being a part of their community, which I am at peace with. I attribute my reversion to the Church because of them because they were having Eucharistic Adoration and a Procession in December 2007 at a Young Adult Retreat I was attending. Fr. Glenn of the CFRs touched the humeral veil to my head and I experienced such a powerful conversion of heart that I made a full Confession and was received back into the Church THAT NIGHT! That ought to tell you something! I've been in love with their order ever since. ;)
[/quote]
Creepy! I had a very similar experience. When I was at a retreat two years ago, (It was actually the same thing I was at with the sisters this year...) I knew by the middle of the week that God was calling me to religious life. I didn’t really know what to do since that was the last thing on my list of things to do with my life. On Friday, they had a prayer service and so I went to Br. John (the Baptist) and I told him my ordeal. He prayed over me in tongues and immediately I felt a unbelievable peace and joy deep within my soul. I then and there said yes to God and my vocation. I have never been happier! And needless to say, that is when I fell in love with the order. :proud:

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1315408346' post='2301590']
Well despite how depressed I am about missing Philotheas last night, I will get myself there next week no matter what. I may be going to Catholic Underground with them on Friday but we'll see. I do have the Retreat in a few weeks and we are staying in a Convent Praise God. Also, there is also a talk of a group of people getting together once a week to have spiritual talks with Sr. John Marie (a Sister who works here in Campus Ministry) so I'm definitely going to that. Maybe I can finally come out of my shell and share that I want to enter into Religious Life. I've been keeping it inside and it's bottling up in me.

Also, I may talk to Campus Ministry about possibly doing something for people who may be discerning a Vocation. They may start something for those who might want to become Priests but I think they need something for those who may want to be Sisters. It's only fair after all. That's exactly what this school needs.
[/quote]

My school just started a new (revamped) discernment group for guys.

I didn't know that, so when I saw the paragraph called "Discernment groups" in the catholic pamphlet, I emailed the priest in charge and said "sign me up!"

But, I'm a girl, so that didn't pan out. He said they're REALLY TRYING to get a women's group up. It's just hard to find a religious to facilitate it. Hopefully more schools will have programs for both sexes. Everyone needs help in discernment, not just the future priests. :)

i<3franciscans

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1315431411' post='2301779']

I didn't know that, so when I saw the paragraph called "Discernment groups" in the catholic pamphlet, I emailed the priest in charge and said "sign me up!"

But, I'm a girl, so that didn't pan out. He said they're REALLY TRYING to get a women's group up. It's just hard to find a religious to facilitate it. Hopefully more schools will have programs for both sexes. Everyone needs help in discernment, not just the future priests. :)
[/quote]
I know that Ave Maria in Florida does. It is a beautiful college. My brother is in the discernment program there. :dance6:

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1315431411' post='2301779']

[/quote]

Amen, sista! I asked my parish priest the same thing, but there are no religious in this area to help out and our pastor is WAY too busy to get the paperwork started since he is the only priest there. It really is a shame that religious life vocations are prayed for but there is rarely any support groups formed for that purpose. :(

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1315431893' post='2301788']

Amen, sista! I asked my parish priest the same thing, but there are no religious in this area to help out and our pastor is WAY too busy to get the paperwork started since he is the only priest there. It really is a shame that religious life vocations are prayed for but there is rarely any support groups formed for that purpose. :(
[/quote]
I introduced myself to the priest the other day after daily mass, and when he didn't recognize my name I said "I'm the one who's been emailing you a lot about discernment..." and that recollection look came on his face. He was so sincere and hopeful that we'll get one soon! St. Expedite pray for us!

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1315432099' post='2301791']
I introduced myself to the priest the other day after daily mass, and when he didn't recognize my name I said "I'm the one who's been emailing you a lot about discernment..." and that recollection look came on his face. He was so sincere and hopeful that we'll get one soon! St. Expedite pray for us!
[/quote]

I might need to remind my pastor about the idea. I haven't talked to him since March or April because he is so busy. Being a single priest in a parish drains you and he has to take a lot of time off -- which the diocese gives. It's his first assignment as a pastor and he was ordained back in 2007, so he hasn't been a priest for long. He's an older vocation, too. :)

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1315443474' post='2301868']
For the record. The CFRs swim in their habits. :nun2:
[/quote]

:shock:

What?!?

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1315443474' post='2301868']
For the record. The CFRs swim in their habits. :nun2:
[/quote]

Woah! That is intense.

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1315445713' post='2301901']

:shock:

What?!?
[/quote]
YES!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I had to mention that. One of the girls I was with asked them if they swim and Sr. Felicity was like, "Well duh! Have any of you ever swam in a dress before?" It was so funny, but apparently they swim when no one else is around and they take their veils off and wear bandanas. Fun right? :yahoo:

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1315482906' post='2302090']
YES!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I had to mention that. One of the girls I was with asked them if they swim and Sr. Felicity was like, "Well duh! Have any of you ever swam in a dress before?" It was so funny, but apparently they swim when no one else is around and they take their veils off and wear bandanas. Fun right? :yahoo:
[/quote]

That's so strange! I have never heard of swimming in a habit before. I've seen pictures of nuns dipping their feet into the water, but not full body. LOL! I imagine that would be a sight to see! rotfl

MargaretTeresa

Well. Shooting video for class took much longer than anticipated. So I'll be calling the FSCC after my class. Sooooo excited! (and so happy my sister will be occupied)

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1315506183' post='2302237']

That's so strange! I have never heard of swimming in a habit before. I've seen pictures of nuns dipping their feet into the water, but not full body. LOL! I imagine that would be a sight to see!
[/quote]
Since there are sooooooo many place to swim in the Bronx, haha, I am sure it is not often, but I always figured they did because I knew that the friars do.
AND another really weird Franciscan fact...*drum roll* the friars occasionally take their habits off when they are climbing rock walls...... It is so funny seeing them in shorts and t-shirts with their bald heads and beards... they look out of place or something. It is quite a sight! :lol4: rotfl

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1315567813' post='2302479']
Since there are sooooooo many place to swim in the Bronx, haha, I am sure it is not often, but I always figured they did because I knew that the friars do.
AND another really weird Franciscan fact...*drum roll* the friars occasionally take their habits off when they are climbing rock walls...... It is so funny seeing them in shorts and t-shirts with their bald heads and beards... they look out of place or something. It is quite a sight! :lol4: rotfl
[/quote]

Oh my! rotfl