An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

FutureSister2009

Well despite all the grief I went through yesterday (and that issue won't be completely taken care of until I can get some things approved on Monday so please keep praying. My thought is, if God wants me to be at this school, He won't let me get kicked out) I had a great time last night. I met a girl who actually found me on here and then found me on Facebook and told me she goes here and is also Discerning Religious Life. So we got together and had dinner and talked about communities and our experiences and whatnot. It was nice to finally have someone here with me who is in the same situation I am and that I feel comfortable talking about it with. I am hoping she and I can go back to my hometown sometime so I can introduce her to my Sisters. And we are also hoping to go on Retreat together with the DSMMEs next May. After that we got together with the rest of the group and had a lot of fun. I haven't had that much fun at all since I've been here so now I hope I can stay on campus just so I can have some fun with them this year.

i<3franciscans

I told my mom about my vocation. She seemed pretty chill about it. : ) I am so thankful... I don't know how to tell my dad. He has always had high hopes for me. He always encouraged me to go for my dreams, well this is my new dream. Well it has been a dream for about two years, they just didn't know that. One down. One to go.

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1315828656' post='2303761']
I told my mom about my vocation. She seemed pretty chill about it. : ) I am so thankful... I don't know how to tell my dad. He has always had high hopes for me. He always encouraged me to go for my dreams, well this is my new dream. Well it has been a dream for about two years, they just didn't know that. One down. One to go.
[/quote]

Prayers! It can seem intimidating, but I felt so much better when I told my mom and dad I was discerning. It took a while for my mom to warm up to the idea. She was under the impression that I'd be giving up a whole lot like education, but when I kept sharing things with her and remained open, it was she that was one of my cheerleaders. I just told her yesterday that I was still discerning when she asked me if I was. I told her about my plans to get in touch with the Religious Sisters of Mercy and she was very supportive. :)

FutureSister2009

I mailed a letter to my Sisters back at home today. I hope it gets there and I hope they write back. I know how busy they are but it would really make me feel better in the dark period of my life right now. I thought things were getting better but not quite yet so I hope they do sometime this week because I can't take much more

i<3franciscans

The second year novices of Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal make their first year vows this Saturday. Keep them in your prayers!

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1316085580' post='2304967']
The second year novices of Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal make their first year vows this Saturday. Keep them in your prayers!
[/quote]

Whoa! I certainly will! I haven't kept up with the CFRs since I stopped discerning with them, but I love their community nonetheless. :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1315259879' post='2300635']

LOL, I know they've (added: the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity) been mentioned on this forum before by me and Lilllabettt (some others, too). Maybe you should visit?
[/quote]

This is quote is from an older post (I was trying to catch up on my reading) but, just for an FYI, don't confuse the "Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity" with the "Sisters of Christian Charity (the SCCs)" that Lillabettt posted about last week, and who are my neighbors across the street. They are two different completely different Orders.

The SCC's are primarily a teaching order, headquartered in Germany. Their spirituality is (to me, at least) far more Ignatian than it is anything else. (BTW--The pic that went with the earlier post is not an SCC--their veil is different). Even though the SCC's are not affiliated with one of the "big name" Orders, they are wonderful, and are getting new vocations each year.

BTW--It's possible that Lillabettt has also posted about the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity and I just haven't seen the post. All I know is that she posted about the "other" Sisters of Christian Charity (the SCC's) last week.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

TeresaBenedicta

Thank you, Jesus, for loving me in this way.

^That's my continual prayer lately. Jesus is so good to me. Being with the sisters is such a blessing for me... I can't even begin to give enough thanks. But it's also bitter-sweet. Jesus uses these same blessings to intensify my longing, piercing me with desires that cannot yet be fulfilled. And it hurts so much.

It's all the more difficult because of my struggles with my new job. The parish is wonderful. The staff is wonderful. The families are wonderful. My catechists are wonderful. Almost too good to be true, you know? Like... causing me to ask why I'm here. Although difficult, my last parish [i]really needed help[/i]. And here... all I'm doing is paperwork. And I'm not very good at that. I'm overwhelmed with the ridiculous amount of administrative work (300+ student program)... and I just don't function that way. It'd be more bearable if I could at least teach or see some purpose for my being here. God knows, right? I [i]know[/i] God is working good with me here... but gosh, it's tough when all I see myself doing is menial work and doing a pretty crappy job of it at that.

I'm trying to abandon myself completely in all of this, although I'm pulled in so many different directions at once. These are the joys and the sufferings that God wishes me to experience right now, and I thank Him for these purifying gifts. He is so good to me. I am content to have my heart filled with joy and love, to have it pierced, and for it to be confused... in all of this I trust that this how I can best love Him.

Is it wrong for me to pray that I enter soon? That, if it is His will, I might join the current postulant class? I do not want to run from the sufferings that Jesus is currently giving me, but I also know that these desires come from Him... and sometimes He is pleased to fulfill these desires only after we have been persistent in our supplications. Of course, I always pray that His will, not mine, be done. But I do not want to displease Him by even asking, if it is not His will. I do not want to run from what is good for me right now, even (especially) in its difficulty.

I started two different novenas yesterday- the Infant of Prague and Our Lady of Lujan. The rest of the postulant class has also each picked out a novena to pray for me.

I trust that all is in His timing. I don't want to push things. I don't want my prayers or petitions to somehow keep me from accepting, embracing, and loving God's will for me, you know?

TeresaBenedicta, don't be afraid to pray and ask God if it is His will for you to enter this year's postulant class. Remember only by prayer will you find out what He wishes of you right now. It sounds like you are truly willing to follow His will for you and I am sure He is extremely pleased with that.
Also when things are rough in your job remember, you woke up today. Which means that He has something for you to do, your task is to figure out, no matter how small it is, what that is.

Kayla,

Jesus is "our big brother" He is also God's son. He wants us to go to him as one would a brother, a friend, a mentor and especially as a SD! Say your novenas as others will join you and maybe try to listen to that whisper that can only be from him. What is he telling you? What is the goal of your discernment?

For me, back 40 years ago my discernment goal was making a solid fiat to God saying I understand this IS WHAT YOU WANT OF ME and I sign my name on a blank piece of paper on the bottom rt hand side letting GOD fill the space as he deems.

TeresaBenedicta

I guess I posted without reading over what I wrote.

I mean, I'm not [b]worried[/b] about God's will for me. I know that I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be right now. So there's no confusion or need for discernment. I'm here until God allows me to enter (which basically means until my loans go away). And I'm okay with that.

I'd just prefer it be sooner than later. ;) 'Cause He's fanning the flame and it's burning like crazy. And as much as it hurts, I know He's using this for good. So I don't want to "quench" that fire before it's time, you know? But the intensity of the fire makes it so I can't but help to cry out for relief! Ah, I wish I could explain it better!

i<3franciscans

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1316197118' post='2305524']
I guess I posted without reading over what I wrote.

I mean, I'm not [b]worried[/b] about God's will for me. I know that I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be right now. So there's no confusion or need for discernment. I'm here until God allows me to enter (which basically means until my loans go away). And I'm okay with that.

I'd just prefer it be sooner than later. ;) 'Cause He's fanning the flame and it's burning like crazy. And as much as it hurts, I know He's using this for good. So I don't want to "quench" that fire before it's time, you know? But the intensity of the fire makes it so I can't but help to cry out for relief! Ah, I wish I could explain it better!
[/quote]
I understand! :buddies:

Kayla,

I am sorry - I did not mean discernment of your vocation but rather discernment of the dilemma in asking God if yo enter soon; discernment about the job; discernment about your loans -For me, those are blots on that piece of paper and need to be eradicated before you can enter. God will tell you how to do it

As far as the job, can you mention a special class you may have taught and see if they will let you offer it.
Also, the Parish Priest may also be receiving input from God on just how much to become dependent on you. I wonder if you could perhaps offer a class in conjunction with a free love offering towards your debt?

I will be quiet now lol...I am very happy and excited for you.

It would be wonderful if there were more consecrated religious living their witness of Christ's love in the world, you know? Our society needs to see that.