An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

FutureSister2009

There are several things about school I am excited for. I can't wait to meet the staff of Campus Ministry and get involved. I am most likely going to teach second grade CCD at a local Parish (as an aide) and help with RCIA, there's a women's faith group on Campus I want to join, there's another Church close by that does the Latin Mass so I want to drop in there occasionally, and the fall musical at school is one of my favorites, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat! So I'm trying to concentrate on this stuff. I certainly will be busy enough and maybe then it will go fast

TheresaThoma

Yay for helping with RCIA! There is nothing like being surrounded by those who want to learn about the Faith to inspire you to learn more. I'm a sponsor in my RCIA program this year and it has been a ton of fun!

TeresaBenedicta

I’ve never been happier in my life. Joy that overwhelms me; what can I do but return blessings as praises?

Yet, it pains me. My desire, my longing… only increases. My life, even now, is incomplete. I give all to the Lord, but I am not yet bound to Him. I serve Him freely, living the spirit of the vows, but free to leave whenever I might wish. I have not yet given myself fully, irrevocably, visibly, to Him. My life is not yet an oblation of self, a living sacrifice, perpetually offered in union with the One sacrifice; united with the One. Ah! How I long to make that self-oblation- give fully of myself- to establish through this bond, outwardly, what, through His grace, will be accomplished and consummated in Heaven.

I don’t fully understand it. I recognize my desire to give myself completely to Jesus in the vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience; which, our Holy Father just described as a “living ‘exegesis’ of God’s Word.” I can’t totally grasp the difference between what I am living/doing now… and what my life will be once truly consecrated to God. I strive to live that life out now, as best as I can… but it’s not the same. The act of consecration, the profession of vows [i]is itself[/i] efficacious.
…but, I am here to do God’s will. He has blessed me greatly with this double-edged sword, bringing me to live with and be with my sisters. It’s all in His timing, it’s all for His glory. It is all so that I might love Him perfectly, as He ought to be loved.

Last night all of the sisters (23 of them!) came back from WYD! It was slightly awkward for me, standing out with the three sisters I’ve been living with, waiting to greet them as they got out of the vans… ’cause I didn’t know most of these sisters and they weren’t expecting a guest to be around. But oh well- they all came and hugged me anyways and I welcomed them home. LOL.

Talk about a bustling house! We went from four to twenty-seven! I got to meet Mother Immaculate for the first time… she’s super laid back and really funny. And I saw a few of the other sisters I knew.

Mother Revelacion gave me a big hug and told me how glad she was to see me. It was really sweet.

And Sr. Theotokos! Ah! She also gave me a great big hug, and with a huge smile on her face she said, “Oh Kayla! We’re so glad you’re here! We’ve been waiting for this for a long time! We’ve been praying so much for you! Ah! You’re almost here! I mean, you’re [i]here[/i], but… well, you know!” And for dinner she had me come sit next to her so she could hear all that has transpired since we last saw each other… which was almost a year and a half ago. It was so… touching, as sappy as that sounds. But when you are showered with such genuine love…
After dinner, Srs. Fiat, Ina, Auries (nicknames, sorry!), and I put on a [i]devagne[/i](I probably spelled that wrong… anyways, it’s basically a skit) for the sisters who returned from Madrid and Guyana. It was so funny! We basically made fun of our entire time together. The first scene started out with the three sisters saying goodbye to everyone leaving for WYD and being all sad about being alone… then I hit the music, Eye of the Tiger, and the sisters put on sunglasses and began “Camp Fiat.”

My favorite scene was with the four of us at the dinner table for a team meeting. Fiat began by talking about the earthquake and apologizing that she didn’t foresee that in our schedule. She then turned to me to make a quip about the library (she and I were super serious about the library project- the other two thought we were ridiculous). And then she announced what our next fun activity was going to be… Going to the planetarium! Sr. Ina, who is in real life rather quiet and shy, jumped up with excitement and said, “I LOVE planets! I keep Jupiter always with me in my pocket!” (This actually happened in real life when we were going to the planetarium.) And she pulled out a card of Jupiter! Haha. Then I said to her, “Oh, Ina, were you devastated when Pluto was de-classified as a planet?” And her response… ah, you’d have to know her to know how funny it was… with grave seriousness she said, “Oh yeah. I’m still devastated! He [i]is [/i]planet!”

Oh we were dying of laughter… it was great. So much fun. The other sisters loved it.

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1314367430' post='2295167']
I’ve never been happier in my life. Joy that overwhelms me; what can I do but return blessings as praises?

Yet, it pains me. My desire, my longing… only increases. My life, even now, is incomplete. I give all to the Lord, but I am not yet bound to Him. I serve Him freely, living the spirit of the vows, but free to leave whenever I might wish. I have not yet given myself fully, irrevocably, visibly, to Him. My life is not yet an oblation of self, a living sacrifice, perpetually offered in union with the One sacrifice; united with the One. Ah! How I long to make that self-oblation- give fully of myself- to establish through this bond, outwardly, what, through His grace, will be accomplished and consummated in Heaven.

I don’t fully understand it. I recognize my desire to give myself completely to Jesus in the vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience; which, our Holy Father just described as a “living ‘exegesis’ of God’s Word.” I can’t totally grasp the difference between what I am living/doing now… and what my life will be once truly consecrated to God. I strive to live that life out now, as best as I can… but it’s not the same. The act of consecration, the profession of vows [i]is itself[/i] efficacious.
…but, I am here to do God’s will. He has blessed me greatly with this double-edged sword, bringing me to live with and be with my sisters. It’s all in His timing, it’s all for His glory. It is all so that I might love Him perfectly, as He ought to be loved.

Last night all of the sisters (23 of them!) came back from WYD! It was slightly awkward for me, standing out with the three sisters I’ve been living with, waiting to greet them as they got out of the vans… ’cause I didn’t know most of these sisters and they weren’t expecting a guest to be around. But oh well- they all came and hugged me anyways and I welcomed them home. LOL.

Talk about a bustling house! We went from four to twenty-seven! I got to meet Mother Immaculate for the first time… she’s super laid back and really funny. And I saw a few of the other sisters I knew.

Mother Revelacion gave me a big hug and told me how glad she was to see me. It was really sweet.

And Sr. Theotokos! Ah! She also gave me a great big hug, and with a huge smile on her face she said, “Oh Kayla! We’re so glad you’re here! We’ve been waiting for this for a long time! We’ve been praying so much for you! Ah! You’re almost here! I mean, you’re [i]here[/i], but… well, you know!” And for dinner she had me come sit next to her so she could hear all that has transpired since we last saw each other… which was almost a year and a half ago. It was so… touching, as sappy as that sounds. But when you are showered with such genuine love…
After dinner, Srs. Fiat, Ina, Auries (nicknames, sorry!), and I put on a [i]devagne[/i](I probably spelled that wrong… anyways, it’s basically a skit) for the sisters who returned from Madrid and Guyana. It was so funny! We basically made fun of our entire time together. The first scene started out with the three sisters saying goodbye to everyone leaving for WYD and being all sad about being alone… then I hit the music, Eye of the Tiger, and the sisters put on sunglasses and began “Camp Fiat.”

My favorite scene was with the four of us at the dinner table for a team meeting. Fiat began by talking about the earthquake and apologizing that she didn’t foresee that in our schedule. She then turned to me to make a quip about the library (she and I were super serious about the library project- the other two thought we were ridiculous). And then she announced what our next fun activity was going to be… Going to the planetarium! Sr. Ina, who is in real life rather quiet and shy, jumped up with excitement and said, “I LOVE planets! I keep Jupiter always with me in my pocket!” (This actually happened in real life when we were going to the planetarium.) And she pulled out a card of Jupiter! Haha. Then I said to her, “Oh, Ina, were you devastated when Pluto was de-classified as a planet?” And her response… ah, you’d have to know her to know how funny it was… with grave seriousness she said, “Oh yeah. I’m still devastated! He [i]is [/i]planet!”

Oh we were dying of laughter… it was great. So much fun. The other sisters loved it.
[/quote]

That's so wonderful! Continued prayers that you can fully "be there" soon!

FutureSister2009

Ugh I feel jealousy. I've been thinking about my Sisters back home. I wish I had said goodbye to them! :cry: I didn't even realize how much I miss them until today. I have a copy of the picture of me with them that I have on my page here taped to the wall right by my pillow in my bed and I say goodnight to them every night. Makes me tear up. I am marking off days and this week has just been really long and exhausting. I would like to go home but I can't right now. I really would like to go home for a little bit soon. I'm trying to think about stuff I have to look forward to.

Thank you so much Kayla for your post. There is an injectionof pure love in your aura! You have bonded so completely with them in such a short time. You are truly living in the moment and not rushing time nor are you squandering it. It is actually quite beautiful your journey!

Darlene

PS How is the job going and did you get a car?

InPersonaChriste

Urg! So confused! haha Just viewed more of the charism of Adorers of the Royal Heart, I LOVE this order, yet i dont think i will be called there. That is a relief but it sort of stinks at the same time. I just hope that the Benedictine retreat will be a growing experience where I can listen more faithfully to God in my heart.

Oh and I also got an e-mail from a VSM in Chile (Visitation Nuns) and she was absoloutely sweet, I miss her and mother superior profoundly!

faithcecelia

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1314406583' post='2295577']
Urg! So confused! haha Just viewed more of the charism of Adorers of the Royal Heart, I LOVE this order, yet i dont think i will be called there. That is a relief but it sort of stinks at the same time. I just hope that the Benedictine retreat will be a growing experience where I can listen more faithfully to God in my heart.

Oh and I also got an e-mail from a VSM in Chile (Visitation Nuns) and she was absoloutely sweet, I miss her and mother superior profoundly!
[/quote]

I think its completely normal to love a number of orders, I know I certainly did/do. In my case, I longed to be called to COLW but just knew I wasn't. Even now I have lost count of the communities I read about on here and think 'I wonder...' even though deep down I know I am a Carmelite.

You are still young. Take your time, listen to advice and of course to God speaking to you, and I am sure He will show you where He wants you to be.

OnlySunshine

[/quote]
[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314407018' post='2295587']

I think its completely normal to love a number of orders, I know I certainly did/do. In my case, I longed to be called to COLW but just knew I wasn't. Even now I have lost count of the communities I read about on here and think 'I wonder...' even though deep down I know I am a Carmelite.

You are still young. Take your time, listen to advice and of course to God speaking to you, and I am sure He will show you where He wants you to be.
[/quote]

I know what you both mean. I wanted so badly to be called to the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal. I thought they were THE order to me when I first met them, however, when I visited them in January 2010, it became clear that it was not where God was calling me. I love the Sisters very much, but I think I'm called to pray for them -- not join them. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

LaPetiteSoeur

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure I love tons of orders, just in many different ways...

I love the ones who taught me in elementary school for introducing me to religious life. I also love them because of their joy and willingness to go anywhere and do anything for the good of the world.

I love the ones who taught me in high school for supporting me and helping me discern my vocation. They also make amesome soup. And they do everything and are not pushy at all about joining their order--they just want discerners to find out where God wants them!

I love some SSJs, as they taught me about serving the poor, social justice, and doing the right thing.

I love the Ursulines for what they did in the 18th century in Louisiana. Without them, I'm pretty sure parts of my family wouldn't have been Catholic without their work.

I love the Daughters of Charity. there's so many wonderful things to say about this order--it'd take me weeks to write it all out!

I love the NDs, I love their apostolate, I love their prayer life, I love their traditions. I believe God is leading me to them. But I love all the other orders too!

Edited by LaPetiteSoeur

InPersonaChriste

Thanks Cecilia and La petite Souer.

Yeah its just hard to be moving and changing everything up and then trying to be consious of what God wants me to be.

FutureSister2009

I felt a lot better yesterday after visiting the Campus Ministry office. I got to meet one of the interns and I had a chat with one of the directors. Her name is Maggie and she is WONDERFUL! It was amazing because she met me on Tuesday and then two days later I was walking to class and I ran into her and she remembered my name! Not everyone remembers names that well! I hope I get to know her really well this year and feel comfortable talking to her about my Vocation. I am joining the women's spiritual group, Philotheas and I'm going on retreat with them in September in Maryland. I am excited about that. I hope to meet some terrific young Catholic women and make some good friends that understand my desires.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1314459919' post='2295809']
I felt a lot better yesterday after visiting the Campus Ministry office. I got to meet one of the interns and I had a chat with one of the directors. Her name is Maggie and she is WONDERFUL! It was amazing because she met me on Tuesday and then two days later I was walking to class and I ran into her and she remembered my name! Not everyone remembers names that well! I hope I get to know her really well this year and feel comfortable talking to her about my Vocation. I am joining the women's spiritual group, Philotheas and I'm going on retreat with them in September in Maryland. I am excited about that. I hope to meet some terrific young Catholic women and make some good friends that understand my desires.
[/quote]

This is SO IMPORTANT! I can certainly understand your desire to leave everything and enter right now, but it is detrimental to our spiritual well-being since God calls us all to be apostles in the present time. There is a reason that you are where you are -- at school. Though you may not appreciate it now, you will appreciate it later (trust me!). I wanted to rush everything in the beginning of my discernment. I wanted to find THE order NOW! I wanted to enter NOW! But it was not God's timing. I had to learn to slow down and trust and come to terms with the fact that I can do things out in the world to serve the LORD while I wait for Him to call on me (God-willing) to enter religious life. It's not about the future. It's about the here and now.

Joining a discernment group is a great idea. I wish we had one here and I've asked my pastor about starting one. He wants to, but there is so much paperwork and he is the only priest at our parish, so it's on the back burner now. I am glad to hear that you found a spiritual director. They are so important!

I will be praying for you. I know it cannot be easy. If it helps, St. Therese of Lisieux went through the exact same thing (as did many other saints like Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity). Pray for her intercession and get to know her. Reading about her "Little Way" is a great way to prepare yourself. :)

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1314459919' post='2295809']
[/quote]

Your college is very Catholic! And the Catholic centers and churches on many campuses are fantastic! My college today actually had a "survivor" bbq in celebration of our last week. My Methodist friend and i went--we were taking a break from watching "Four Weddings and a Funeral" and "Notting Hill." Yes, we were in the mood for British comedy. :)

The retreat sounds like good stuff!

FutureSister2009

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1314482868' post='2296009']

This is SO IMPORTANT! I can certainly understand your desire to leave everything and enter right now, but it is detrimental to our spiritual well-being since God calls us all to be apostles in the present time. There is a reason that you are where you are -- at school. Though you may not appreciate it now, you will appreciate it later (trust me!). I wanted to rush everything in the beginning of my discernment. I wanted to find THE order NOW! I wanted to enter NOW! But it was not God's timing. I had to learn to slow down and trust and come to terms with the fact that I can do things out in the world to serve the LORD while I wait for Him to call on me (God-willing) to enter religious life. It's not about the future. It's about the here and now.

Joining a discernment group is a great idea. I wish we had one here and I've asked my pastor about starting one. He wants to, but there is so much paperwork and he is the only priest at our parish, so it's on the back burner now. I am glad to hear that you found a spiritual director. They are so important!

I will be praying for you. I know it cannot be easy. If it helps, St. Therese of Lisieux went through the exact same thing (as did many other saints like Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity). Pray for her intercession and get to know her. Reading about her "Little Way" is a great way to prepare yourself. :)
[/quote]

It's not a Discernment group, its just a Women's Group. I think there is a center for Discernment around here somewhere and I'll ask about it.