An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

HopefulBride

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1311602379' post='2275502']
what, what???
[/quote]

Read her new post. It sounds VERY good. The Franciscan sisters are moving to her parish (It sounds like it)

• 2 weeks later...
JulianofLdn

I visited Norwich today, and went to the shrine for Mother Julian :) They've had to rebuild the church and its anchorhold, but they've done a good job and its a pretty little church. Unusually for an anglican church, it's kept open during the day so that visitors can come into the shrine; when I went in, the place was completely empty. I went into the anchorhold and lit a candle; then I simply sat and listened.

I actually felt pretty emotional. Julian of Norwich had sat in the very place I was - she'd eaten there, prayed there, slept there. She'd laughed and wept and been impatient and cold and ... she'd been there, right where I was. I cried, a bit. And then I just sat and listened.

It's weird. 700 years later and the sounds weren't any different, I bet. Wind, rain. Leaves dusting into the church entrance. Coins dropping. Muffled voices. It was beautiful, peaceful, holy. I don't often say places are holy, but this really was. I walked into the anchorhold thinking it was reasonably small, but when I was in there it felt as big as the whole world. I was in there, alone, for maybe about 30 minutes before somebody else came to have a look. I could have stayed there forever; it was a real wrench to leave.

I've been bimbling a bit over the last little while, worrying whether I'd be able to leave a contemplative life, whether I could fully embrace a daily routine based entirely on prayer. Today told me that I could, that I should, that I must, that nothing else will suffice.

I feel so very peaceful now. Peaceful doesn't cover it - I feel satisfied, satiated. It was so beautiful there, such a beautiful experience, I'm still carrying it with me. :amen:

Now, if I can figure out how to post up some pictures, I will :)

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='JulianofLdn' timestamp='1312831723' post='2283410']
I visited Norwich today, and went to the shrine for Mother Julian :) They've had to rebuild the church and its anchorhold, but they've done a good job and its a pretty little church. Unusually for an anglican church, it's kept open during the day so that visitors can come into the shrine; when I went in, the place was completely empty. I went into the anchorhold and lit a candle; then I simply sat and listened.

I actually felt pretty emotional. Julian of Norwich had sat in the very place I was - she'd eaten there, prayed there, slept there. She'd laughed and wept and been impatient and cold and ... she'd been there, right where I was. I cried, a bit. And then I just sat and listened.

It's weird. 700 years later and the sounds weren't any different, I bet. Wind, rain. Leaves dusting into the church entrance. Coins dropping. Muffled voices. It was beautiful, peaceful, holy. I don't often say places are holy, but this really was. I walked into the anchorhold thinking it was reasonably small, but when I was in there it felt as big as the whole world. I was in there, alone, for maybe about 30 minutes before somebody else came to have a look. I could have stayed there forever; it was a real wrench to leave.

I've been bimbling a bit over the last little while, worrying whether I'd be able to leave a contemplative life, whether I could fully embrace a daily routine based entirely on prayer. Today told me that I could, that I should, that I must, that nothing else will suffice.

I feel so very peaceful now. Peaceful doesn't cover it - I feel satisfied, satiated. It was so beautiful there, such a beautiful experience, I'm still carrying it with me. :amen:

Now, if I can figure out how to post up some pictures, I will :)
[/quote]

I've visited there, its beautiful, so small yet so peaceful. I could have happily spent all day there

Julian- sounds amazing :)

My friend is entering the DSMME. It's all happening so fast! Please keep her in your prayers as she has a lot of preparation to do before the 28th! But, as others have mentioned, how it all comes together despite obstacle is a testament to how much Our Lord desires that a young woman live only for Him.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1312897220' post='2284719']
I think I died and am in Heaven... :love: Jesus is unbelievably good to me!
[/quote]

Details!!!!! How is the prayer life with the Sisters? What sort of schedule are you living? How amesome is it? How is the new job? Is it a little bit more traditional parish? Did the car situation work out? WE WANT TO KNOW MORE!!!!!!!!! :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1312897220' post='2284719']
I think I died and am in Heaven... :love: Jesus is unbelievably good to me!
[/quote]

Please divulge! The suspense is killing me! :bounce:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1312898619' post='2284728']

Details!!!!! How is the prayer life with the Sisters? What sort of schedule are you living? How amesome is it? How is the new job? Is it a little bit more traditional parish? Did the car situation work out? WE WANT TO KNOW MORE!!!!!!!!! :)
[/quote]

Ahhh!! I don't have a whole lot of time, but here's a quick view:

There's only three sisters at the convent b/c most of them are either a) in Spain for WYD or b) in New Hampshire for "convencia"/vacation & recreation. So it's super intimate, and of course, the three sisters are absolutely wonderful. We have two separate schedules- one for a morning activity and a second if there's an evening activity (since August is supposed to be more of a down time/vacation time, the sisters do a fun activity everyday- go to the park, see a free exhibit, a free concert, etc). When there's a morning activity we have Mass at 7AM, either at the National Shrine or the Franciscan Monastery, then we hustle back to the convent for Morning Prayer, the angelus, and another Marian prayer. Then comes breakfast. Now that I'm working, I have to skedattle pretty quickly after morning prayers- I only have time for a quick bite to eat. The sisters pack my lunch for me, they're so sweet!

While I'm at work, the sisters do their fun activity and have time for work (we're currently re-doing the library), plus an hour of siesta each day. At 7PM we have an hour of adoration, followed by Evening Prayer, the reading of the Roman Martyrology, and a "good night" (which is a small reflection in the spirit of Don Bosco). Dinner is pretty late- usually by that time around 8:45 or so. You get used to it. Lunch is later, too. And there's snack time in the evening. We eat and maybe play a game. Then we clean up from dinner, and two of us go outside to water all of the plants.

After all of that, we go back inside to the chapel for an examination of conscience, Night Prayer, and to "sing to Our Lady". Silence ensues after Night Prayer. Sometimes there's a little bit more work to be done before bed.

On the days that there's an evening activity, we do the holy hour in the morning after Mass.

The sisters have fully incorporated me into daily life- I even have an "office" for prayer (I do the reading and responsory during the LOTH). I do my part with chores and what have you, as well. They're so lovely... ahhh... I felt right home immediately. :love:

The new job is amesome! I love it! Granted, today is only my second day and I'm still not sure what I'm doing. Still getting a feel for the parish. But they're good to me here. Very understanding of my situation, and wanting me to spend as much time with the sisters as possible. Which is great.

I GOT THE CAR AND IT'S AMAZING!!! The priest who sold it to me sold it for an amazingly low price... like, it's work over $5K and he sold it to me for $1K... and that cost actually was covered by another benefactor that I ran into on Friday. God is so good to me! The car is in excellent shape, runs well, and gets great gas mileage.

Ahhhh... just so many blessings, overflowing, good measure... I'm just in awe. I am so not worthy of any of this. God is so good!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1312900056' post='2284734']

Ahhh!! I don't have a whole lot of time, but here's a quick view:

There's only three sisters at the convent b/c most of them are either a) in Spain for WYD or b) in New Hampshire for "convencia"/vacation & recreation. So it's super intimate, and of course, the three sisters are absolutely wonderful. We have two separate schedules- one for a morning activity and a second if there's an evening activity (since August is supposed to be more of a down time/vacation time, the sisters do a fun activity everyday- go to the park, see a free exhibit, a free concert, etc). When there's a morning activity we have Mass at 7AM, either at the National Shrine or the Franciscan Monastery, then we hustle back to the convent for Morning Prayer, the angelus, and another Marian prayer. Then comes breakfast. Now that I'm working, I have to skedattle pretty quickly after morning prayers- I only have time for a quick bite to eat. The sisters pack my lunch for me, they're so sweet!

While I'm at work, the sisters do their fun activity and have time for work (we're currently re-doing the library), plus an hour of siesta each day. At 7PM we have an hour of adoration, followed by Evening Prayer, the reading of the Roman Martyrology, and a "good night" (which is a small reflection in the spirit of Don Bosco). Dinner is pretty late- usually by that time around 8:45 or so. You get used to it. Lunch is later, too. And there's snack time in the evening. We eat and maybe play a game. Then we clean up from dinner, and two of us go outside to water all of the plants.

After all of that, we go back inside to the chapel for an examination of conscience, Night Prayer, and to "sing to Our Lady". Silence ensues after Night Prayer. Sometimes there's a little bit more work to be done before bed.

On the days that there's an evening activity, we do the holy hour in the morning after Mass.

The sisters have fully incorporated me into daily life- I even have an "office" for prayer (I do the reading and responsory during the LOTH). I do my part with chores and what have you, as well. They're so lovely... ahhh... I felt right home immediately. :love:

The new job is amesome! I love it! Granted, today is only my second day and I'm still not sure what I'm doing. Still getting a feel for the parish. But they're good to me here. Very understanding of my situation, and wanting me to spend as much time with the sisters as possible. Which is great.

I GOT THE CAR AND IT'S AMAZING!!! The priest who sold it to me sold it for an amazingly low price... like, it's work over $5K and he sold it to me for $1K... and that cost actually was covered by another benefactor that I ran into on Friday. God is so good to me! The car is in excellent shape, runs well, and gets great gas mileage.

Ahhhh... just so many blessings, overflowing, good measure... I'm just in awe. I am so not worthy of any of this. God is so good!
[/quote]

Aw! I'm glad to hear it's going so well for you. Being with your Sisters is going to provide so many graces in your vocational discernment! I'll remember you in my intentions during Vespers. :)

FutureSister2009

That sounds wonderful! God takes care of everything when the time is right!! I keep reminding myself of that since I think I am currently discerning with three different communities.

I am trying to figure out how to discern with multiple communities. If my Sisters would come back before I leave, then I could actually talk to them about it. And I'm also trying to schedule a new time to visit with the SSVMs. I have given them an idea of when I'm available and I haven't gotten an answer yet. My theory is if I never get an answer then I'm not meant to discern with them. But they're on my mind often. And then there's Carmel. I thought maybe I didn't want to be a Carmelite, but now I think about them more than I ever have before. I'm just contacting a few Monasteries close to me. There's one in the same town as my College so maybe I'll be able to find it and visit them one weekend or something. I don't know. Maybe I do need more time

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1312900946' post='2284737']

Aw! I'm glad to hear it's going so well for you. Being with your Sisters is going to provide so many graces in your vocational discernment! I'll remember you in my intentions during Vespers. :)
[/quote]

Thanks for your prayers!

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1312901062' post='2284739']
That sounds wonderful! God takes care of everything when the time is right!! I keep reminding myself of that since I think I am currently discerning with three different communities.

I am trying to figure out how to discern with multiple communities. If my Sisters would come back before I leave, then I could actually talk to them about it. And I'm also trying to schedule a new time to visit with the SSVMs. I have given them an idea of when I'm available and I haven't gotten an answer yet. My theory is if I never get an answer then I'm not meant to discern with them. But they're on my mind often. And then there's Carmel. I thought maybe I didn't want to be a Carmelite, but now I think about them more than I ever have before. I'm just contacting a few Monasteries close to me. There's one in the same town as my College so maybe I'll be able to find it and visit them one weekend or something. I don't know. Maybe I do need more time
[/quote]

Just remember that many, many of the sisters are not in town right now. I'm not sure who you are conversing with to try and schedule a time to come visit, but of the three whom I think you might be, all three are out of town and two of those three without internet access. So I'd recommend contacting them again in September.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1312901740' post='2284748']

Thanks for your prayers!
[/quote]

You're welcome. :)

[quote name='ameliabedelia' timestamp='1312922169' post='2285004']
.....so i haven't posted in forever.........but i cant resist it any longer...

:clapping: :wave:
[/quote]

what's new with you? I think you were on when I first joined phatmass :)

or maybe it was while I was still a lurker. :)