An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1310780009' post='2268022']
I getcha. Sounds like a good time!

I think I'm finally starting to have a breakthrough and it makes me happy. I've been emailing Mother Lumen from the SSVMs and we're trying to get to know each other a little better and maybe eventually I'll feel more comfortable about visiting them. But it turns out she grew up in the same Diocese I currently live in! And she knows my Parish very well!! It wasn't her Parish but she went there a lot! It's exciting! It does seem almost too good to be true but I hope it's going to work out for the best! :clapping:
[/quote]

I continue to pray for you and always enjoy your posts. Indeed, in time, God brings all things to goodness for those who love Him...

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1310933494' post='2268839']
(Sort of off topic but relating to frustration about having to wait, feeling stagnant etc)
I have kind of a unique situation I'm a convert and I still live with my (non Catholic ) parents. Thus discerning religious life can put a lot of tension on the relationship. Anyways when I wrote to one of my Jesuit friends he came back with this beautiful peace of advice. He told me that a lot of formation can go on within the "cloister of your heart" [font="arial, sans-serif"][size="2"]. This made me realize that I might not be able to do anything that I would consider actively discerning but I CAN work on the "cloister of my heart" and make it a strong and beautiful place.[/size][/font]
[font="arial, sans-serif"][size="2"]Just something to think about for all of you and Good luck with your journeys![/size][/font]
[/quote]

I'm in the same situation as you. Except my mom isn't happy about me being Catholic at all. But Whatever.

And that's wonderful advice. Read FaithCecila's signature, too; it's amesome and deals with our situation slightly.

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1310933494' post='2268839']
(Sort of off topic but relating to frustration about having to wait, feeling stagnant etc)
I have kind of a unique situation I'm a convert and I still live with my (non Catholic ) parents. Thus discerning religious life can put a lot of tension on the relationship. Anyways when I wrote to one of my Jesuit friends he came back with this beautiful peace of advice. He told me that a lot of formation can go on within the "cloister of your heart" [font="arial, sans-serif"][size="2"]. This made me realize that I might not be able to do anything that I would consider actively discerning but I CAN work on the "cloister of my heart" and make it a strong and beautiful place.[/size][/font]
[font="arial, sans-serif"][size="2"]Just something to think about for all of you and Good luck with your journeys![/size][/font]
[/quote]

Bienvenue! Your Jesuit friend's advice is [i]wonderful[/i]! Thank you for sharing!

Prayers for you and the situation with your parents.

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1311015342' post='2269544']
LaPetit:
Have I mentioned how much I love your avatar??? :love:
[/quote]

Merci! I love it too! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nun1.gif[/img] I found it online; it's actually a recreation of the Dominican sisters of the Sick!

TeresaBenedicta

I wonder what it will be like to live with my sisters. It's like a sort of limbo... I'm there but not [i]really[/i] a part of the community. What will my obligations be? What will I be able to participate in? What will it be like?

I'm guessing I'll just be awkward for the first few weeks until everything gets worked out.

Mary Magdalene

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1311020638' post='2269600']
I wonder what it will be like to live with my sisters. It's like a sort of limbo... I'm there but not [i]really[/i] a part of the community. What will my obligations be? What will I be able to participate in? What will it be like?

I'm guessing I'll just be awkward for the first few weeks until everything gets worked out.
[/quote]

Praying for you TeresaBenedicta. Im sure the awkardness wil pass once they get used to you and you to them. It takes a little time settling into a routine and knowing what it is your supposed to be doing and participating in. But I am sure that all will be explained to you. and if your not sure just ask!

I really, really, really want to go to one of the profession Masses in Ann Arbor!!!!! Now it's determining whether I can afford the $100 in gas to get there and back, which is kind of a lot for a less than 24 hour trip.

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1311093460' post='2270165']
I really, really, really want to go to one of the profession Masses in Ann Arbor!!!!! Now it's determining whether I can afford the $100 in gas to get there and back, which is kind of a lot for a less than 24 hour trip.
[/quote]

Lisa

When do the postulants become novices?

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1311114688' post='2270378']
Lisa

When do the postulants become novices?
[/quote]

I'm not 100% sure on that- it's not a public ceremony so they probably won't list it till afterwards. Sometime in August, though.

Final Vows: Aug 2
First Vows: Aug 4
Entrance date (new aspirants): Aug 28

Pray for them!!!! (and for all who have women professing or renewing vows and entering their communities)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1311129977' post='2270730']
I'm not 100% sure on that- it's not a public ceremony so they probably won't list it till afterwards. Sometime in August, though.

Final Vows: Aug 2
First Vows: Aug 4
Entrance date (new aspirants): Aug 28

Pray for them!!!! (and for all who have women professing or renewing vows and entering their communities)
[/quote]

Maybe Aug. 8th, which is St. Dominic's feast day?

HopefulBride

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1311133566' post='2270839']
Maybe Aug. 8th, which is St. Dominic's feast day?
[/quote]

Yeah... That makes sense.

dominicansoul
:love: My dearest Dominican Sister, Sister Mary Grace, O.P. is making her final profession!!! :w00t: :woot: I know A LOT of Sisters, (more than I know lay people.) Sister Mary Grace is most definitely one of a kind... :love:

OnlySunshine

Well, guys, I was in the Atlanta airport yesterday making my connection and saw a NASHVILLE DOMINICAN!!! :woot:

I think she must be going to the NCYC conferences or something. But it was so neat to see her there. ;)

Deus te Amat

While you're in LA, you should try to go see the Carmelite Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Los Angelas. :)