An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1315317569' post='2301065']
I've moved into the Novitiate ;) And have met a fellow PMer :)
[/quote]

Woo hoo! Thats really great news!

FutureSister2009

I miss my Sisters soooooo much. I feel like at this rate, I may not see them until Christmas. I was with my mom yesterday and she told me to write them a letter which I am probably going to do. There's only so much to say without boring them. What I would like them to know is that I would like to know when they will be having Vocational Retreats again after the Convent is done being renovated. And I would also like to know when Mother Elisabetta is coming. I NEED to get home to meet her if she comes. I'll walk home if I have to to meet her.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1315317569' post='2301065']
I've moved into the Novitiate ;) And have met a fellow PMer :)
[/quote]

Woohoo! Is it Santa Cruz? I'm not sure if she's entered yet, but I remember that she was discerning with the SSVM.

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1315321997' post='2301093']
I miss my Sisters soooooo much. I feel like at this rate, I may not see them until Christmas. I was with my mom yesterday and she told me to write them a letter which I am probably going to do. There's only so much to say without boring them. What I would like them to know is that I would like to know when they will be having Vocational Retreats again after the Convent is done being renovated. And I would also like to know when Mother Elisabetta is coming. I NEED to get home to meet her if she comes. I'll walk home if I have to to meet her.
[/quote]

Sisters love love love getting letters. This I can promise you.

I currently write to a LSIC, my second grade teacher who now works in a nursing home.
I also write to a SSJ of Philadelphia, who I worked with for a few years--She's amesome!
I also write (occasionally, and really should more often) write to the campus minister at my high school, a Felician!

If you ever want to give your sisters a gift, stationary and stamps are great, as they are always writing letters!

They'll be so glad to hear from you, i'm sure! :)

i<3franciscans

While y'all are talking about writing, do you think that it is too early for me to fill out a come and see form for the CFRs? I am only sixteen.... I would love any feedback!

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1315335444' post='2301168']
While y'all are talking about writing, do you think that it is too early for me to fill out a come and see form for the CFRs? I am only sixteen.... I would love any feedback!
[/quote]

I'm not sure if it would matter or not. It's too early to officially begin discerning with them since they don't allow entrance until you are 21 years old. Sr. Francis, the Vocation Director might encourage you to wait until you are no longer a minor. The only way to find out is to go ahead with it. :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1315335655' post='2301171']

I'm not sure if it would matter or not. It's too early to officially begin discerning with them since [b]they don't allow entrance until you are 21 years old[/b]. Sr. Francis, the Vocation Director might encourage you to wait until you are no longer a minor. The only way to find out is to go ahead with it. :)
[/quote]

I didn't know this, but now I love them more than ever. So, so sensible, especially with their work.

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1315335951' post='2301174']

I didn't know this, but now I love them more than ever. So, so sensible, especially with their work.
[/quote]

They are an incredibly beautiful order. If God allowed me to enter ANY order, it would be them. But it is not to be. God has different plans. I truly loved my visit with them back in January 2010. Their apostolate is so necessary, but it can be very taxing to those not quite used to it. The service to the homeless is so important.

One thing I think is really unique about both the Friars and Sisters is that they have it written in their constitutions/rule that they must live in an area stricken by poverty and homelessness. If the area is no longer considered poor, the Friars and Sisters must move to a new poor area. :)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1315332857' post='2301148']

Woohoo! Is it Santa Cruz? I'm not sure if she's entered yet, but I remember that she was discerning with the SSVM.
[/quote]

It wasn't Santa Cruz. I'm not sure if it was announced here, so I don't want to post who, just in case. I'll do some checking though, and if it's public, I'll say ;)

FutureSister2009

Well despite how depressed I am about missing Philotheas last night, I will get myself there next week no matter what. I may be going to Catholic Underground with them on Friday but we'll see. I do have the Retreat in a few weeks and we are staying in a Convent Praise God. Also, there is also a talk of a group of people getting together once a week to have spiritual talks with Sr. John Marie (a Sister who works here in Campus Ministry) so I'm definitely going to that. Maybe I can finally come out of my shell and share that I want to enter into Religious Life. I've been keeping it inside and it's bottling up in me.

Also, I may talk to Campus Ministry about possibly doing something for people who may be discerning a Vocation. They may start something for those who might want to become Priests but I think they need something for those who may want to be Sisters. It's only fair after all. That's exactly what this school needs.

Edited by FutureSister2009

MargaretTeresa

Well, my next trip will be St Louie to visit the FSP once I save up gas money and can get a weekend where I can sneak away. This is so GAH
Hopefully will be visiting the FSCC as well, but they're only a couple hours away opposed to FIVE AND A HALF. Gah. So much easier if gas was cheaper

Edited by MargaretTeresa

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1315335655' post='2301171']

I'm not sure if it would matter or not. It's too early to officially begin discerning with them since they don't allow entrance until you are 21 years old. Sr. Francis, the Vocation Director might encourage you to wait until you are no longer a minor. The only way to find out is to go ahead with it. :)
[/quote]
Thanks! I think I am going to write to her... maybe... I have to pray about it. : )

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1315415631' post='2301634']
Well, my next trip will be St Louie to visit the FSP once I save up gas money and can get a weekend where I can sneak away. This is so GAH
Hopefully will be visiting the FSCC as well, but they're only a couple hours away opposed to FIVE AND A HALF. Gah. So much easier if gas was cheaper
[/quote]

Good luck! I completely understand... actually, you might consider seeing if you can get some friends from the Newman center/campus ministry to go- then you could split costs. But, that would have them know that you are discerning, and having more people know might not be amesome with your family situation.

Something I've been thinking about a lot today: while I have the "I want to enter ASAP" thoughts, I am completely at peace where the Lord has me right now. He's using me for His greater purpose, and I'm trying to work on those parts of me that aren't quite nun-material yet... being too willful, too opinionated, judging others, being impatient, and depending on others more than the Lord, etc. I want to give Him my everything, and there are definitely things I need to work on :) At this point, letting me guide me is my priority... yes, I have "plans," but if they don't work out, they were clearly not his to begin with.

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1315417299' post='2301660']
Thanks! I think I am going to write to her... maybe... I have to pray about it. : )
[/quote]

You're welcome. Sr. Francis is very nice. She was intimidating to me a little because of how much I love the order (I mean, I REALLY love them). If I could enter anywhere in the world, it would be the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal. But I am 100% sure I am not called to enter there because I went to visit them in January 2010 and my certain circumstances prevent me from being a part of their community, which I am at peace with. I attribute my reversion to the Church because of them because they were having Eucharistic Adoration and a Procession in December 2007 at a Young Adult Retreat I was attending. Fr. Glenn of the CFRs touched the humeral veil to my head and I experienced such a powerful conversion of heart that I made a full Confession and was received back into the Church THAT NIGHT! That ought to tell you something! I've been in love with their order ever since. ;)

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1315423011' post='2301703']

Something I've been thinking about a lot today: while I have the "I want to enter ASAP" thoughts, I am completely at peace where the Lord has me right now.
[/quote]

I think this is so important. While a sense of urgency seems to be a part (and maybe even a sign) of a vocation, a genuine acceptance of it being in God's hands is a major part of it too. I am in a position now where I can pretty much enter whenever I am allowed - I don't have loose ends, debts etc and could go within weeks. But after spending the last 2yrs desperate to get it organised asap, I'm now totally at peace with my wait. My committment is made, I choose to live every day of my life absolutely and 100% for God, I trust Him with my whole being. Whats another few months in relation to eternity?