An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

FutureSister2009

I had a dream last night that I was reunited with my Sisters back home. I woke up quite sad since it was only a dream. I've been having similar dreams a lot lately. I wonder if it means anything. I mean I am thrilled that I actually heard back from them since I wasn't expecting to but I still have no answer as to when I'll see them. :cry:

Dreams can often be our workings out of our thought processes - one of the therapies I have had in the last couple of years has involved simulating what happens during REM sleep to allow thoughts to be processed when they have not been during sleeplessness caused by stress. I am a natural sceptic but it was remarkable!

I used to dream of my wedding day, over and over for years I had the same dream. I think it was the working out of the fact that, more than anything in the wrld at that time, I longed to be married. It wasn't a premonition, just a desire.

I had other dreams when I was first sent away from Q which had me still there, progressing through. Again, it was my inner desires coming through in my sleep.

What you have dreamed may indeed by a premonition of your future, but it may well not be. Give it no more thought and continue with your life, giving yourself to your studies and devoting time to prayer, growing in love for God and all humankind. God bless.

i<3franciscans

Okay so yesterday my mom asked me what I planned on doing with my life..... DID SHE COMPLETELY FORGET OUR CONVERSATION LAST WEEK!?!?!?!??!?!?! I was really surprised and kinda disappointed by the question. I just replied that I didn't know. I wanted to tell her again but I was so frustrated that she had forgot. I know she is busy and she is expecting, but it hurt. Why could I just tell her again. I feel like I am back in square one. It was hard enough telling her the first time and now.... I don't know when I will find it in myself to tell her again. I wish this was easier!!! *sigh*

Have a major headache due to my lack of sleep and the two red bulls and the other energy drink (Goya Malta) Today is a super long day as I teach till 8pm. I am however in good spirits because the meeting with Father went so wonderfully. I need lotsa prayers please that I don't fall into a coma throughout the day....

So I had my first dream in a long, long time yesterday. (or at least the one I remember!) Anyway, in it, I dreamed I got my acceptance letter!

brandelynmarie

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1317304565' post='2312198']
Okay so yesterday my mom asked me what I planned on doing with my life..... DID SHE COMPLETELY FORGET OUR CONVERSATION LAST WEEK!?!?!?!??!?!?! I was really surprised and kinda disappointed by the question. I just replied that I didn't know. I wanted to tell her again but I was so frustrated that she had forgot. I know she is busy and she is expecting, but it hurt. Why could I just tell her again. I feel like I am back in square one. It was hard enough telling her the first time and now.... I don't know when I will find it in myself to tell her again. I wish this was easier!!! *sigh*
[/quote]
:console:

FutureSister2009

You know what? The only way I would actually stay here and finish my degree would be if I could be exempt from math, science and history. Why? Because those three subjects are what will keep me from graduating.

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1317309635' post='2312252']
You know what? The only way I would actually stay here and finish my degree would be if I could be exempt from math, science and history. Why? Because those three subjects are what will keep me from graduating.
[/quote]

Is there someone at college you can talk to about it? Are they all compulsory, or from categories and you have to do something in that cat? (I genuinely don't know how it works). If you really, really are struggling, ask for help and see what can be done. I had to change and drop subjects when I was younger - I couldn't keep up, I was getting overstressed and it was affecting too much of my life, making my emotions yoyo and making me snappy with everyone for no reason.

If, ultimately, you really cannot cope with the course and/or being away at college, then it may end up that yes, you should leave. Just don't rush into that decision, consider all your options first, and make sure your sole reason is that you cannot cope with it all.

You remain in my prayers, God bless you.

Futuresister,
College can be a huge adjustment from High School for some. Not sure what kind of school you are attending, but most college freshman are lined up right away with an ACADEMIC ADVISER, and usually one in their area, even if it is College of Liberal Arts for example. If you do not already have one, go to the counseling services of your school and they will help you out. Schools want for their students to succeed, and will go 110% to see that that can happen. Do not make any drastic decisions. Sometimes even dropping one class can eliminate feelings of being overwhelmed and frustrated. I wish you the best of luck in your studies. ( I have been a college instructor myself, and know the struggles some students can experience)

[/quote]

Hun, I understand your worries. I know them all too well. For a long time, school didn't seem to matter to me because of the circumstances (dealing with depression and anxiety). I flunked so many classes, especially science and math. After my reversion, however, I began to see things in a new light and I understood that being a student was my current vocation and I needed to be faithful to studying and staying on topic. I started getting As and Bs. A little change in attitude towards work ALWAYS helps, but don't be afraid to ask for assistance if you need it. Many school libraries have tutor programs. Take full advantage of the resources available to you. Prayers!

Edit: double post

[/quote]

Ooo. I totally understand. I'd find your academic advisor and ask if you can take certain classes [i]instead[/i] of those. For instance, I get to take Philosophy (intro to logic) instead of Math. I do have to take science, but it's for non science majors. And Sometimes, church history or religious studies history classes count for those!

Study groups are amesome, especially before big tests (I have two next week, so I have two study groups on Sunday). There are also tutors for many subjects that can help a bunch.

What else...don't fret. You'll graduate. Maybe you could start a new devotion to Don Bosco or Thomas Aquinas and ask them to help you do the best you can.

Edited by LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1317306758' post='2312231']
So I had my first dream in a long, long time yesterday. (or at least the one I remember!) Anyway, in it, I dreamed I got my acceptance letter!
[/quote]

You've applied? oooooh nice.

FutureSister2009

I'm doing my best to stick it out. This semester I'm fine but in the future is my biggest concern when I'm going to have to start thinking about these courses. All I really want to do is focus on theology the most

I'm doing my best to stick it out. This semester I'm fine but in the future is my biggest concern when I'm going to have to start thinking about these courses. All I really want to do is focus on theology the most

IgnatiusofLoyola

[/quote]

Other posters have given excellent responses, so I will try not to duplicate them.

I understand your feelings about math and science. I actually did well in math and biology in high school, but liked other subjects much more. Thankfully, my university offered science and math courses for non-majors. And, for math, I took statistics, which honestly helped me later on to understand articles that I read.

As for history, if your school does not offer a specific Church history class, if you take classes in European history--especially early European history and the middle ages--it is impossible to study these subjects without including Church history. The history of the Church was integral to what was going on in Europe in those times. And, all the other things that went on during those times that are not specifically Church history still help to put the Church history in context.

It may well be that you are not at the right college for you. But, you just started, right? (I apologize if I have that wrong.) But, my first term at university I felt totally overwhelmed and couldn't figure out how other people got through it--or how I was going to get through it. But, each term I got better at studying and the discipline it takes. If it's possible, perhaps you could first take the courses that sound most interesting to you and that you feel most confident about, and take the math and science courses later, when you have built your self-confidence. One of the reasons that employers (and Orders) are pleased when they see a candidate who has finished a degree is that it means that the person is willing to work hard and has the discipline to follow through a very tough program. There were many times when I really disliked college and wondered why I was doing it (especially at exam time or when writing papers). But, college gave me a perspective on the world that I wouldn't have gained had I not followed through.

By the same token, college is not for everyone. Or the college you are attending may not be the right one for you. Still, giving it more time and seeking help, as others have suggested, will mean that if you decide to leave or change colleges you know that you have done everything possible and given it "the old college try." (Sorry, I couldn't resist including that!)

Good luck!

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola