An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1318717363' post='2321752']
I'm so excited. My parents are allowing me to go to the Come and See with the Sisters of Mary Mother of the Church in January!
[/quote]

That is fantastic news! Prayers for you all - it does tend to be hard for parents.

I'm so excited. My parents are allowing me to go to the Come and See with the Sisters of Mary Mother of the Church in January!
[/quote]

This is amesome!!! I will keep you in prayers. I hope you enjoy your visit with the sisters.

[/quote]

Wonderful! Any news on spending time with the RSMs in the house near you? ;)

FutureSister2009

So I guess God does answer prayers because Thursday night Sr. John Marie who works in Campus Ministry is doing a little Vocational talk here at school. It's going to be a casual and laid back conversation but I'm still going and I'm happy it's actually going to happen. There will also be a talk for the guys for the Priesthood. I think it will be the same night. I'm pretty excited for it! Sister is also coming to talk to our Women's Group tonight but I don't know if it's going to be Vocational. We shall see.

Guest hermanita

A Sister-friend sent me this link. It's soooooo wonderful!! http:// [url="http://youtu.be/p4AvEc8FDNA"]http://youtu.be/p4AvEc8FDNA[/url]

Edited by hermanita

LaPetiteSoeur

Wonderful happenings at university!

I had to do advising for the honors college, and the advisor (one of the sweetest Episcopalian ladies I have ever met!) and she asked the loaded question: "So, what do you want to do once you graduate?"

Usually, I go the whole "well, I'm thinking about grad school" rather than just say "I HOPE TO BECOME A RELIGIOUS SISTER!"

But this time, I told her. Straight. She was so happy! "This is what I love," she said. "People knowing what they are [i]really[/i] called to."

I thought that was it. Turns out, it wasn't. In another class, we have to write personal statements about what we plan to do and why and as usual I got all stressed. "I can't write about wanting to be a nun..that's nuts...the professor will yell and say I'm wasting my brains and, and, and...."

So I talked to the professor, and she had said "That's what G said...and I'm so happy for you. And OF COURSE you can write about being a nun. Why wouldn't you?!" Turns out, the professors in the HC (who know me really well) had been discussing my vocation. And I don't mind. It's so wonderful that they aren't saying I'm wasting my brain, because they KNOW that religious USE THEIR BRAINS.

Dear Lord, thank you for bringing me to the South!

she_who_is_not

The South loves Jesus and the South loves girls who love Jesus! I'm so happy that you are in such a supportive environment.

LPS,
A similar thing just happened to me this last week. I had said something to my advisor because he was wondering why I wasn't super actively looking for a job. And for one of my classes, we have to do a career presentation and I talked to him, and he's going to let me do a different, more nun-relevant topic. I'm doing a presentation on Development (how organizations raise funds), which may be helpful to somebody in the future :)

FutureSister2009

Last night was the first time we had an actual Vocational talk. Sr. John Marie told us she found her Calling very early in life. She wanted to enter when she was 15, a sophomore in high school. She said "I know what I want, I'm not going to change my mind, why should I have to wait?" I know EXACTLY how that feels. I didn't want it at 15 but I want it now 5 years later. So her parents said if she got permission from the Pastor, she would be allowed. So she got permission and she entered right after sophomore year. She finished her education during her formation. She has no regrets. I just love listening to Vocation stories and I think this was one of the best I ever heard. We are hoping to form a Spiritual conversation group once a month and hopefully some of it will entail guidance toward Vocations in a comfortable. God is finally working some wonders so it makes me happy about that.

FutureSister2009

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1319215257' post='2324727']
FS- what order is she from? That is so exciting that you have someone to talk to who understands vocations to the religious life!
[/quote]

She's an Oblate of St. Francis DeSales. I met the rest of her community when I was on Retreat a month ago. We stayed at their convent. They're really nice

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='regina_coeli' timestamp='1319580341' post='2327007']
TB. Do we need another countdown thread? Hope, hope!
[/quote]

Heh. :)

Well, a countdown would be easier if I had a specific [i]date[/i]. But that's part of the problem. I won't know the date until there's a replacement for me at work. And then it'll basically be the day thereof/thereafter. ;)

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1319632894' post='2327223']

Heh. :)

Well, a countdown would be easier if I had a specific [i]date[/i]. But that's part of the problem. I won't know the date until there's a replacement for me at work. And then it'll basically be the day thereof/thereafter. ;)
[/quote]

I am keeping your situation very much in prayer and hope a replacement is found soon.