dominicansoul

dominicansoul

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1296156987' post='2205162']
[img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n129/corsetti3/IMG_5008.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

nice!

[size="1"](where's my flask?)[/size]

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1296223850' post='2205694']
vee, if you could ask a question about the Faith, any question, what would it be?
[/quote]

Why, of all the disciples, did Jesus pick Peter James and John to reveal Himself to during the Transfiguration?

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1296242675' post='2205887']
Why, of all the disciples, did Jesus pick Peter James and John to reveal Himself to during the Transfiguration?
[/quote]

If you don't answer yourself the forum will implode.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1296242675' post='2205887']
[/quote]

Because Peter wasn't an intellectual or a theologian, which isn't a good thing when you are going to be the Pope, and Jesus wanted to get him thinking about eschatological signs.
John, because Jesus didn't want them to tell anyone about what they saw, and John was humble, obedient, and quiet overall; if anyone was going to keep his mouth shut about, it was John. Plus, he was going to have to write about it later in the Gospel.
And James, because he wasn't used to going places without his brother, and pestered Jesus until He let him come along, too.

Max, I liked watching things implode.

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1296144627' post='2205061']
Okay, this one I want to know the answer to!!!

Because I don't think there would be much connection, actually. Kant is continuing on similar sorts of projects as Decartes, which is all about separating out what we can know on a purely intellectual level from the less reliable material world. That's a very different mindset than most Catholic philosophy and CERTAINLY (I would think) of something called the Theology of the BODY.

But I might be wrong ...

:bible:
[/quote]

Wojtyla's students said that their teacher often held philosophic dialogues with Kant.
And I cannot say that the two were [i]always[/i] at odds with one another. There were some fundamental beliefs and principles they held in common. For example:
Kant, like Wojtyla, strongly believed in the dignity of the human person and was anti-utilitarian.

Kant also argued that intercourse is inherently an act of using another, and cannot be an act of giving oneself. Intercourse to Kant was mutual utilitarianism.
This obviously is in direct contradiction to Catholicism and TOB, so I don't know if one can rightly say that Kant [i]influenced[/i] Wojtyla (ie, that he learned from him), or if Kant was just someone Wojtyla was intrigued by because they were so alike, yet so different. :idontknow:

And yes I am probably missing an awful lot of info here. I never was a philosopher, and cannot understand half of what Kant says. Or Wojtyla, for that matter.

Edited by Tally Marx

[quote name='hugheyforlife' timestamp='1296765714' post='2208289']
yes. :nun2:
[/quote]
guess i like the right sort of people then. ;)

MissScripture

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1296766181' post='2208296']
guess i like the right sort of people then. ;)
[/quote]
It also explains a lot about why my sister is Dominican. :|

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1296777891' post='2208379']
It also explains a lot about why my sister is Dominican. :|
[/quote]

:console:

[quote name='notardillacid' timestamp='1296706609' post='2208066']
Did Jesus have an 8-pack? Seems to me all the crucifixes portray Jesus as a fairly built chap. :saint:
[/quote]

Im guessing Jesus was in pretty good shape what with all that manual labor and walking. Besides its hard to have a beer belly with no beer. Ok I know nothing about ancient Israel but I assume they didnt have beer.

[quote name='notardillacid' timestamp='1296709138' post='2208083']
Why are people buried in their best clothes? Seems like a waste :crazy:
[/quote]

Maybe its so they will look nice when they are resurrected on the last day?

edited to fix typo

Edited by vee8

Vee, would I be considered radical and extravagant if I walked to a very distant convent that I really want to visit and don't have the money to fly/ride to?