An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Church Denies Funeral For Local Gay Man...maybe

katholikkid

CatherineM

Again, I don't care how many documents you cite that says Catholics shouldn't discriminate against those with SSA, if we have different definitions as to what discrimination is. I completely agree with the Church on how we are to treat those with SSA. If you believe that not allowing gay couples to marry is discriminating against them, then we have to disagree. The Church doesn't consider that discrimination. It is simply recognizing that the word marriage means one man and one woman.

Should we arrest those who engage in consensual gay sex? Of course not. that would be discrimination because we don't arrest people who commit adultery, or people who have sex before marriage either. I'm sure there are some people who believe we should, but that is not what the Church teaches.

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1309653823' post='2262346']
Again, I don't care how many documents you cite that says Catholics shouldn't discriminate against those with SSA, if we have different definitions as to what discrimination is. I completely agree with the Church on how we are to treat those with SSA. If you believe that not allowing gay couples to marry is discriminating against them, then we have to disagree. The Church doesn't consider that discrimination. It is simply recognizing that the word marriage means one man and one woman.

Should we arrest those who engage in consensual gay sex? Of course not. that would be discrimination because we don't arrest people who commit adultery, or people who have sex before marriage either. I'm sure there are some people who believe we should, but that is not what the Church teaches.
[/quote]

Those are not my definitions. Those are Church documents. I would probably word things differently.

What I oppose is this attitude displayed by a "Church Militant", "Because the real "filth" is in the "gay agenda" which is seeking more than just "housing" and "job" rights, but acceptance of homosexual activity, and if you believe that such behavior is immoral or disgusting, you are labeled a bigot. So before you challenge us, why don't YOU challenge the militant gays to not flaunt immoral and disgusting behavior to the decent public? You might find that if they weren't so "in your face" about homosexual activity, the Church Militants (and the rest of decent society) might not feel so threatened."

And this attitude displayed by another "Church Militant", "I don't know that I am against all discrimination. If you own some apartments and don't want two men or two women who are openly gay living there I think that is okay. If someone flaunts their homosexuality at a company that you own or in the interview I think there is some room to not hire or remove them."

Those attitudes are not in line with the above quotes, they are full of hatred.

You can't even acknowledge homosexuality as a fact and have to keep refering to it as "SSA".

If I was looking for a spiritual home, I certainly wouldn't look for one where the "Church Militants" display those kinds of sttitudes.

[quote name='Lumiere' timestamp='1309646989' post='2262297']
I know they haven't because I have read the threads.
[/quote]

Oh really? You read ALL the threads. Even those that are years old that talk about the same subject with the same people? Five recent threads is not a comprehensive look at posters who have been here for years.

That's my point. How do you know Catherine or Norseman hasn't called out anyone in the past? You don't, unless you've read every past thread and have access to their private messaging.

[quote]"As Catholics, we must oppose the hatred and rejection of homosexual persons that exists in our society. We do not want them to be the object of discrimination or violence."
[/quote]

I'll refer you to Catherine's last post. If we can't agree on what discrimination is then that's the issue we're gonna have to tackle first.

I think the word "discrimination" has gotten a bad rep because it conjures up images of "whites only" water fountains and stuff, but in some cases we must discriminate. When an army drops into a village to get some tyrants I prefer they discriminate when pulling the trigger instead of indiscriminately killing people, civilians and infantry alike. I would prefer that ride attendants discriminate against people who are too short or too tall to ride a rolly coasty so no one flies out of their seat or loses their head. I'd prefer the DMV discriminate between people who can see, and people who cannot.

Yes discrimination can easily be unjust, but that doesn't mean it is 100% of the time.

Debra Little

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1309627846' post='2262152']
And just WHEN did I say THAT?

And by that logic, do you still beat your wife?
[/quote]

Ha! Love it!

CatherineM

I use the term SSA because that is what the Church has told us to use. People, gay or straight, shouldn't be addressed by a label, especially a label based entirely on an unnatural sexual attraction.

Debra Little

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1309631261' post='2262166']
My response was not in regard to the discrimination part, but to the disordered part. Some people on this thread cannot see the disordered and sinful part of this behavior. That is the basis, the [i]sine qua non[/i], of any discussion. Until people can understand that, there can be no meaningful discussion on [u]anyhing[/u] related to homosexuality.
[/quote]

It is only disordered for a straight person to have gay sex. It's natural for us.
There is no connection with the opposite sex for gays, emotional and
otherwise. We have to be allowed to be true to ourselves in the same
way straight people are.

I think you have absolutely no idea about the kind of upheaval that comes into
a person's life when they come out. Furthermore it cannot be a choice. Who
in their right mind would choose a life style that means they will be harassed,
rejected and/or killed? No one! The cross in being gay is these things and
not at all what a lot of you think it is.

Debra Little

[quote name='Lumiere' timestamp='1309632654' post='2262173']
@Catherine M and @Norseman82 then why don't you challenge other "Church Militants" who advocate that homosexuals lose their rights outside the Church? Why do you let them go on and on in that kind of filth, not just in this thread but in all the other "Gay Issue" threads on this forum?

If I trully believed in the Roman Catholic Church I would be mortally offended that someone would use the Church's religious stand to justify bigotry outside of the Church. I would consider that an offence against the Church.
[/quote]

And an offense against God who made us all.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1309660983' post='2262396']
It is only disordered for a straight person to have gay sex. It's natural for us.
There is no connection with the opposite sex for gays, emotional and
otherwise. We have to be allowed to be true to ourselves in the same
way straight people are. [/quote]

You can keep repeating this until you're blue in the face, but until you can provide an argument as to how SSA is not disordered... there is little more we can say in this thread.

Debra Little

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1309638566' post='2262221']
Exactly. Thanks Catherine.
[/quote]

Catherine. thanks so much.!

Debra Little

A lot of you people are so narrow minded and ignorant! I don't have to provide quotes
or defend myself to anyone. I don't care if you accept me or not. Your opinions
don't matter one whit to me. I have been trying to educate you narrow minded ones
on the truth. But you really don't want to learn. You want to stay stuck in your
ignorance!

[font="Arial"][size=3]It is against the law for me to marry my sister. Is that discrimination? It is against the law for me to marry two women. Is that discrimination?

I am sexually attracted to 5 year old boys. I believe God made me with this attraction. You are a hater and a bigot[not to mention narrow minded and ignorant][/size][/font][font="Arial"][size=3] if you tell me my sexual attraction to 5 year old boys is disordered.[/size][/font]

Edited by Papist

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1309661565' post='2262409']
A lot of you people are so narrow minded and ignorant! I don't have to provide quotes
or defend myself to anyone. I don't care if you accept me or not. Your opinions
don't matter one whit to me. I have been trying to educate you narrow minded ones
on the truth. But you really don't want to learn. You want to stay stuck in your
ignorance!
[/quote]

Debra, sister in Christ... we accept you. We love you. I mean this most sincerely.

If you would like to educate us to the truth as you see it, then please, please do. Provide an argument as to why/how SSA is not inherently disordered. But if you choose not to provide an argument, there is little more we can say. We have given arguments. We have provided Church teaching.

No one has said anything against you as a person. No one doubts the struggles you've had in your life. In fact, I find admirable that you remain celibate, despite your difficulties with what the Church teaches.

CatherineM

The only truth I know is that which has come to me from God through his Church. Someone calling me narrow minded on a website can't change what is true, so it certainly isn't going to change how I may view an issue that has been well decided for centuries.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1309661862' post='2262413']
It is against the law for me to marry my sister. Is that discrimination? It is against the law for me to marry two women. Is that discrimination?

I am sexually attracted to 5 year old boys. I believe God made me with this attraction. You are a hater and a bigot [not to mention narrow minded and ignorant] if you tell me my sexual attraction to 5 year old boys is disordered.
[/quote]

It has been my experience that extreme examples used to illustrate a point are often interpreted as insults.

Not all homosexual people are offended by the Church's teachings. It's possible to disagree without taking offense.

Edited by tgoldson

dominicansoul

the title of this thread is not correct ... the Catholic Church does not deny anyone anything, just as God does not deny anyone anything ... we humans deny ourselves by the poor choices we make, and the way we decide we are gonna live contrary to God's laws ...