An Old School Catholic Message Board

Amppax's Musings And Ruminations

Amppax

xTrishaxLynnx

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1344101532' post='2462684']

I have about 15 assigned texts, and all are things I should be able to find free online.
[/quote]

Oops didn't see that before I posted the above ^ That's amesome! :)

My Mom is a boss. Spends 11 dollars at an auction on about 10 boxes full of books and miscellaneous things, and already she's found a German math book from the 1790's. Quick Google search reveals its worth anywhere from $500-1400.

On top of all this, this comes at a time where she won't be getting another paycheck until October. As she habitually reminds us "God is good!"

xTrishaxLynnx

That's a[color=#000000]we[/color]some!

There's a huge market for antiquarian books, even in this economy. If she's looking for a quick turnover of some of them, my dad collects, and would certainly give her a fair price if she has anything he's interested in out of the lot. If you'd like, ask her if she wants you to PM me a list so I can run it by him. :)

[quote name='xTrishaxLynnx' timestamp='1344133625' post='2462802']
That's a[color=#000000]we[/color]some!

There's a huge market for antiquarian books, even in this economy. If she's looking for a quick turnover of some of them, my dad collects, and would certainly give her a fair price if she has anything he's interested in out of the lot. If you'd like, ask her if she wants you to PM me a list so I can run it by him. :)
[/quote]

I'l talk to my Mom. That'd be pretty sweet if we could sell some.

Learning the International Phonetic Alphabet. It's pretty interesting so far.

[size=1]There's a reason MIkolbe's my favorite mod :love:[/size]

Edited by Amppax

LittleWaySoul

Hearing you talk about Steubenville makes my heart flutter. Thinking about college is simultaneously scary and exciting! I know I'll be in good hands at FUS though :love:

[quote name='LittleWaySoul' timestamp='1344220514' post='2463270']
Hearing you talk about Steubenville makes my heart flutter. Thinking about college is simultaneously scary and exciting! I know I'll be in good hands at FUS though :love:
[/quote]

You will love it there. It will be much different from what you expect, in some ways less, and in other ways more. It's an incredible place. What are you going to study?

LittleWaySoul

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1344221572' post='2463276']
You will love it there. It will be much different from what you expect, in some ways less, and in other ways more. It's an incredible place. What are you going to study?
[/quote]
Currently? English. It's subject to change though. Probably to Theology :) I'm seeing how I like the English program first though. You?

[quote name='LittleWaySoul' timestamp='1344222432' post='2463287']
Currently? English. It's subject to change though. Probably to Theology :) I'm seeing how I like the English program first though. You?
[/quote]

History and Theology are my majors, and I'm in the Honors program. Outside of classes, I try to do as much reading in Philosophy as possible (if I was able I'd probably switch the Theology to Philosophy). From what I've heard the English is pretty good. Avoid Dr. Alexander though, he's got a bad reputation. I'm an RA, so if you have any questions about dorms and such I could probably answer those.

LittleWaySoul

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1344222952' post='2463292']
History and Theology are my majors, and I'm in the Honors program. Outside of classes, I try to do as much reading in Philosophy as possible (if I was able I'd probably switch the Theology to Philosophy). From what I've heard the English is pretty good. Avoid Dr. Alexander though, he's got a bad reputation. I'm an RA, so if you have any questions about dorms and such I could probably answer those.
[/quote]
I'm in the Honors program too! :) What is said about Dr. Alexander? He's actually the professor of my very first and only English class this coming semester. And hm, I actually do have a question. Does Franciscan have lofting kits for beds in the dorms? And if so, how high are the beds raised? Thanks for all your help! :)

LittleWaySoul

Also, something else I've been wondering is... what is the difference between Theology and Philosophy? I feel like it's a dumb question, but I'd like to know, so I'll risk embarrassment ;)

[quote name='LittleWaySoul' timestamp='1344294719' post='2463604']
I'm in the Honors program too! :) What is said about Dr. Alexander? He's actually the professor of my very first and only English class this coming semester. And hm, I actually do have a question. Does Franciscan have lofting kits for beds in the dorms? And if so, how high are the beds raised? Thanks for all your help! :)
[/quote]

The Honors program is great. I've never had Dr. Alexander, so this is second hand information. His specialty is American Liturature, but specifically the South. I've heard that he rarely goes beyond the South, and tends to only cover a limited amount of material in his class. I'm also not a fan of his because my favorite professor and my adviser thinks he's a really bad professor (I won't name the professor, but she's a department head). I had several friends who took him for senior year second semester honors, and everyone I talked to really disliked his class. That being said I've never taken him, just heard to avoid him. Here is his Rate My Professor page, it gives a decent idea of what people think of the professor [url="http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=212845&page=1"]http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=212845&page=1[/url]

As for lofting, yes you'll be able to loft, how you do it depends on the dorm. The RA's in your dorm can show you when you get there. I think the lofts are usually about the same height as the beds would be bunked.