An Old School Catholic Message Board

Amppax's Musings And Ruminations

Amppax

Just had our RA retreat. One of the first retreat's I've ever been to that didn't involve lots of praise and worship and lots of talks. It was a silent retreat, for most of it, with mass, confession, and adoration. Mass music was a capella hymns and then silence until we did benediction. Quite possibly one of my favorite retreats ever.

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1344820262' post='2466654']
That's nuts with the update you got! Though glad the Retreat is going so well. :)
[/quote]

Yeah. The person who gave us the update is the guy from Franciscan that's been on CNN several times recently. He told us that the council basically doesn't have a backbone. It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out.

brianthephysicist

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1344744921' post='2466376']
Just had our RA retreat. One of the first retreat's I've ever been to that didn't involve lots of praise and worship and lots of talks. It was a silent retreat, for most of it, with mass, confession, and adoration. Mass music was a capella hymns and then silence until we did benediction. Quite possibly one of my favorite retreats ever.
[/quote]
Lol I was so confused. Then I realized you go to a catholic university. Then it made sense. Have a great time!

Starting through the RA manual. This thing is ridiculous. Who knew babysitting freshman came with a bigger manual than my car? Haha, all joking aside, I'm really excited for this, finally starting up the practical details of the job.

So my gf got lice from her summer camp kids. Which really stinks for her, because she has to have it under control before she gets up here next week. 1 week until I see her, so stinking excited.

It was drug day in training! A Steubenville police officer came in and gave us a presentation on identifying drugs. It's really funny how naive most of us were. Most had no experience with that stuff. The officer actually lit some marijuana so we would know what it smelled like.

I'll definitely be interested to see how it turns out. Poor gf with the lice :( And yeah I'm unsurprised on the manual lol, I roomed with my RA for two years! And hurray for the cops...not surprised at people being naive mostly; room full of good Catholics! Do you all have an alcohol policy that's zero tolerance, or is there some allowed if everyone in the room is over 21?

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1344899999' post='2467192']
I'll definitely be interested to see how it turns out. Poor gf with the lice :( And yeah I'm unsurprised on the manual lol, I roomed with my RA for two years! And hurray for the cops...not surprised at people being naive mostly; room full of good Catholics! Do you all have an alcohol policy that's zero tolerance, or is there some allowed if everyone in the room is over 21?
[/quote]

Well the manual's all common sense, its nice though, gives us something authoritative to refer to. And yeah, she's making the best of it, but it's been an annoyance for her.

Our alcohol policy is, I think, pretty reasonable. The way its set up, you're allowed alcohol in your room if you're over 21. I think the limit is basically you can't have more than a 6 pack in 1 room, although my RD would like to change that to 12 beers. If someone is drinking, only people over 21, or the roommate if he's under 21, are allowed. But there's zero tolerance for underage drinking (which I'm sure will be a problem). All in all, its a pretty reasonable policy, I think.

LittleWaySoul

I'm really sorry if you've said this already, but what year will you be at Franciscan this fall? All this stuff sounds so exciting! I'm just not looking forward to packing. Is it bad that I've literally organized nothing thus far? :/

[quote name='LittleWaySoul' timestamp='1344917323' post='2467333']
I'm really sorry if you've said this already, but what year will you be at Franciscan this fall? All this stuff sounds so exciting! I'm just not looking forward to packing. Is it bad that I've literally organized nothing thus far? :/
[/quote]

I'm sort of a special case. If you want to know how long I've been in college, this is my second year. But I'm a junior, in that I'll be graduating in 2014 (hopefully).

As for packing, don't get overly stressed about it. Chances are, you'll end up packing too much, and still forget somethings you'll later decide that you really want! That's pretty much the case for everyone. You've got plenty of time too, you won't be up here until the 23, correct? That's a lot of time to pack, you should be fine.

LittleWaySoul

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1344918209' post='2467344']
I'm sort of a special case. If you want to know how long I've been in college, this is my second year. But I'm a junior, in that I'll be graduating in 2014 (hopefully).
[/quote]
Hey! I'm trying to get my undergrad done in three years too! With my AP credit, I'm close to being done with my Freshman year already :smile3:

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1344918209' post='2467344']
As for packing, don't get overly stressed about it. Chances are, you'll end up packing too much, and still forget somethings you'll later decide that you really want! That's pretty much the case for everyone. You've got plenty of time too, you won't be up here until the 23, correct? That's a lot of time to pack, you should be fine.
[/quote]
Yes, that's when I move in :) I also have a bit more summer reading to do. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time!

brianthephysicist

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1344958414' post='2467514']
Forgot to turn off auto renew on my Amazon Prime membership. Whoops.
[/quote]
Did the same thing just last month. Cost me dearly.

[quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1344987274' post='2467661']
Did the same thing just last month. Cost me dearly.
[/quote]

Oh no! If I remember correctly, I really encouraged you to get it, didn't I?

MissScripture

We intentionally got AmazonPrime. They hooked us on the 2 day shipping. We could handle waiting. Yes, we are weak. :ohno: