An Old School Catholic Message Board

Amppax's Musings And Ruminations

Amppax

[quote name='LittleWaySoul' timestamp='1344294912' post='2463607']
Also, something else I've been wondering is... what is the difference between Theology and Philosophy? I feel like it's a dumb question, but I'd like to know, so I'll risk embarrassment ;)
[/quote]

Haha that's ok. Theology, broken down etymologically, means the study of God. Its the study of Divine Revelation and Salvation History. Philosophy (both words are from the Greek) come's from a word that means "love of wisdom." It's the rational search for wisdom.

Hope that's helpful. Philosophy and theology at Franciscan tend to have a lot of crossover. Good theology relies on sound philosophy, and most of the philosophy professors tend to mention how their specific class material could apply in a theological setting.

Edited by Amppax

LittleWaySoul

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1344303224' post='2463721']
As for lofting, yes you'll be able to loft, how you do it depends on the dorm. The RA's in your dorm can show you when you get there. I think the lofts are usually about the same height as the beds would be bunked.
[/quote]
I'm in Marian. I hope the lofting situation works out! I heard from someone that the beds were only able to be raised like 4 feet off the ground or something like that.

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1344303591' post='2463724']
Haha that's ok. Theology, broken down etymologically, means the study of God. Its the study of Divine Revelation and Salvation History. Philosophy (both words are from the Greek) come's from a word that means "love of wisdom." It's the rational search for wisdom.

Hope that's helpful. Philosophy and theology at Franciscan tend to have a lot of crossover. Good theology relies on sound philosophy, and most of the philosophy professors tend to mention how their specific class material could apply in a theological setting.
[/quote]
So... which would entail learning about the major tenets of Catholicism? Or why God exists? I'm afraid I'm still a bit confused :hmmm:

[quote name='LittleWaySoul' timestamp='1344305038' post='2463751']
I'm in Marian. I hope the lofting situation works out! I heard from someone that the beds were only able to be raised like 4 feet off the ground or something like that.
[/quote]

It'll work out. Plenty of people loft, you'll be fine.

[quote]
So... which would entail learning about the major tenets of Catholicism?
[/quote]

Theology

[quote]

Or why God exists? I'm afraid I'm still a bit confused :hmmm:
[/quote]

More of a Philosophical issue.

Philosophy seeks to answer the basic questions of life, but does so without any presuppositions. Theology starts with the basic answer to these questions, as the source and summit of all truth is God.

Edited by Amppax

13 days now until Orientation team gets to school. 13 days until I get to see my girlfriend again.

On a side note, time moves at a glacial pace when you're in a long distance relationship. I could've sworn I left Florida like a month ago. Nope, try 2 weeks.

I'm frantically packing for school tomorrow. Already, I know I'm taking up far too much stuff. And I'm not going to be totally packed and ready until late. But quite honestly, I'm not upset about this. Just going to get it done.

To brighten everybody's day, new Mumford and Sons. Words can't express how excited I am for their album this fall.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kS8RTRi7HA&list=UUUyVHhyGAR3djWzqlljIN1A&index=0&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kS8RTRi7HA&list=UUUyVHhyGAR3djWzqlljIN1A&index=0&feature=plcp[/url]

Edited by Amppax

Woot! For Steubie, not for Wal-Mart run being needed, or the town of Steubenville possibly caving to pressure to remove the university from it's town logo. Does it feel good to be back? (and soon you get to see your girlfriend again too!)

brianthephysicist

Make sure to dress up nice. After all, it's not like you're going to Dollar Palace.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/BlackFridayRuler/walmart.jpg[/img]

[quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1344520543' post='2464978']
Make sure to dress up nice. After all, it's not like you're going to Dollar Palace.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/BlackFridayRuler/walmart.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I'd laugh, but when I worked at K-Mart I actually DID have someone tell me they liked our store because you didn't have to dress up like when you went to Wal-Mart. :|

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1344520489' post='2464977']
Woot! For Steubie, not for Wal-Mart run being needed, or the town of Steubenville possibly caving to pressure to remove the university from it's town logo. Does it feel good to be back? (and soon you get to see your girlfriend again too!)
[/quote]

It's so nice to be back. I'm in RA training right now, and actually, it's amesome. Today was our first day. We started with a half hour of prayer, and then we all went to mass at noon. First time I've been to a daily mass in forever, and I forgot how much I missed the masses here.

The whole logo thing is crazy, I haven't really looked into it much, but being in this area, there isn't much to put on a city logo besides the university and the bridge.

And I can't wait to see my girlfriend. She gets here the 20th!

Sounds like a great first day back! :)

And yeah, when a friend first told me about the logo issue and the suit to remove the school from it, my response was, "you mean the only thing that keeps Steubenville alive?" And only 11 more days until you two are reunited!! :)

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1344557875' post='2465268']
Sounds like a great first day back! :)

And yeah, when a friend first told me about the logo issue and the suit to remove the school from it, my response was, "you mean the only thing that keeps Steubenville alive?" And only 11 more days until you two are reunited!! :)
[/quote]

Actually just got an update on that whole situation. Apparently, the council just wanted the situation to go away, so they said they'd remove it. The University was actually contacted by the media, before then we had no idea. Our director of advancement actually went out and contacted different law firms, and the legal defense will actually be free, assuming the city goes ahead and does it. Hopefully this silliness is resolved soon.