An Old School Catholic Message Board

If I "renounce" Catholicism...

kujo

Well, it seems to me that your intentions are usually pretty good, but (as you know this) we can't pick which parts of Catholicism we'd like to believe and which ones we don't. I mean there is room for nuance in some areas, but the issues that I remember you dissenting on seem to be a concession to the culture. Well-read as you might be, there's probably something you missed or it could be truths that are just hard to swallow. It happens.

There are things I find hard to believe about our religion as well but there is a difference between saying "I simply cannot accept this" and saying "I don't understand this, but I am trying to" and for some that "trying to" part may last until like 3 seconds before you die, and is an uncomfortable way to live for sure, but I have no doubt the effort will be rewarded.

It's primarily an issue of humility. And I know there can be a fine line between blind obedience and humility. Keep up the struggle homes.

(and I know you're only talking about losing your fishy tag but I think it still applies)

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1332692660' post='2407994']
Well, it seems to me that your intentions are usually pretty good, but (as you know this) we can't pick which parts of Catholicism we'd like to believe and which ones we don't. I mean there is room for nuance in some areas, but the issues that I remember you dissenting on seem to be a concession to the culture. Well-read as you might be, there's probably something you missed or it could be truths that are just hard to swallow. It happens.

There are things I find hard to believe about our religion as well but there is a difference between saying "I simply cannot accept this" and saying "I don't understand this, but I am trying to" and for some that "trying to" part may last until like 3 seconds before you die, and is an uncomfortable way to live for sure, but I have no doubt the effort will be rewarded.

It's primarily an issue of humility. And I know there can be a fine line between blind obedience and humility. Keep up the struggle homes.

(and I know you're only talking about losing your fishy tag but I think it still applies)
[/quote]

It does :)

You're one of my favorites on here, so your comments have more weight than most.

Thanks sis :)

I think you should keep the phishy tag, but I also think the permissions for Phishies should be changed a bit. You're being put in time out, essentially, and (IMHO), you're not a butthat.

Maybe we should establish a new tag: Troll. LOL

Kujo,
Face it. PM considers db a better catholic.

Seriosly Props don't buy ya beer. If you don't believe you're not catholic, don't lie to yourself or others. Better to be the person you feel you should be than whom others think you should be.

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1332697563' post='2408055']
I think you should keep the phishy tag, but I also think the permissions for Phishies should be changed a bit. You're being put in time out, essentially, and (IMHO), you're not a butthat.

Maybe we should establish a new tag: Troll. LOL
[/quote]

Or "Trying"...

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1332699971' post='2408067']
Can I just put it out there that I think you're one of the most reasonable people here, Basilisa? :love:
[/quote]
[img]http://theuniblog.evilspacerobot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/neil-patrick-harris-spit-take.gif[/img]

PhuturePriest

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332698414' post='2408058']
Or "Trying"...
[/quote]

Troll, trying, it's all the same.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1332700688' post='2408074']

Troll, trying, it's all the same.
[/quote]

Aren't you, like, 13 or something? Am I really being lectured on trolling and proper catholic teaching by someone younger than that Justin Beaver kid?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332701180' post='2408077']
Aren't you, like, 13 or something? Am I really being lectured on trolling and proper catholic teaching by someone younger than that Justin Beaver kid?
[/quote]

I was being sarcastic, first of all, because trying and trolling are most certainly not the same thing. Secondly, I'm fifteen. Mary was thirteen when she conceived Jesus and went to Elizabeth and said things that basically translate into "I'm humble, I'm amazing, people will venerate me until the end of age." If Mary was here and told people on this site those things they would give her a mouth-full simply because of her age and what she's saying about herself. Saints that were very young have said extremely profound things, so don't push me aside because I'm fifteen.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1332701560' post='2408079']
I was being sarcastic, first of all, because trying and trolling are most certainly not the same thing. Secondly, I'm fifteen. Mary was thirteen when she conceived Jesus and went to Elizabeth and said things that basically translate into "I'm humble, I'm amazing, people will venerate me until the end of age." If Mary was here and told people on this site those things they would give her a mouth-full simply because of her age and what she's saying about herself. Saints that were very young have said extremely profound things, so don't push me aside because I'm fifteen.
[/quote]

Well, you're no Mary, and unless you're a blaspheming 15 year old, you're also not Jesus.

Secondly, I remember getting a full account of your political acumen a few months back, and if that's a sign of the sort of "extemely profound things" you're capable off, I'll pass. I mean, it's hard to take seriously your comments about having gone through a time of struggle with your faith seriously when you're barely old enough to drive a car!

Thirdly, and with less sarcasm, I think you missed the point of this thread, which was to figure out how I can give people props on Phatmass. I will not go into all the reasons that I've found myself in disagreement with the Church on this thread, because it's not the purpose.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332704254' post='2408106']
Well, you're no Mary, and unless you're a blaspheming 15 year old, you're also not Jesus.

Secondly, I remember getting a full account of your political acumen a few months back, and if that's a sign of the sort of "extemely profound things" you're capable off, I'll pass. I mean, it's hard to take seriously your comments about having gone through a time of struggle with your faith seriously when you're barely old enough to drive a car!

Thirdly, and with less sarcasm, I think you missed the point of this thread, which was to figure out how I can give people props on Phatmass. I will not go into all the reasons that I've found myself in disagreement with the Church on this thread, because it's not the purpose.
[/quote]

That's not the point. Let's just say Mary was to come in this day and age and Jesus was going to be born in this century, and Mary said what she said to Elizabeth on here. How do you think people would react? She was after all just thirteen, and here she is saying all of these things about herself? It sounds like she has a gigantic ego if you read it incorrectly.

You can go through a lot in just fifteen years of life. I'm not saying I've lived under Stalin or anything, but I've probably seen things and experienced things that you wouldn't want to think about.

I did not miss the point of the thread. I simply commented on a post by a different person and gave my own input on it.