An Old School Catholic Message Board

If I "renounce" Catholicism...

kujo

PhuturePriest

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332711393' post='2408230']
How do you know that I know what I'm talking about?

How do I know you know what you're talking about?

And who's on first base?
[/quote]

One usually has references to convey an opinion or belief.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1332711489' post='2408233']

One usually has references to convey an opinion or belief.
[/quote]

Right, but when you take a stab at my spiritual and psychological well being, without any basis to draw such conclusions because you are a kid I've never met, your opinion is dismissed.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1332711299' post='2408226']
But I simply do not understand this. Just because I do not know you does not mean I cannot have valid opinions. I'm sure you have many valid opinions, and I would probably agree with you on a lot of things. I listen to anybody that knows what he/she is talking about. I've never met Father David Mary of the Franciscan Brothers Minor, but I agree and listen to everything he says on the site.
[/quote]

Fr. David Mary has credentials. One he is a priest, two he has at least the equivalent of a Master's degree in theology as it is a required part of seminary.

You however, have no credentials. That doesn't mean you don't have valid opinions, but it does mean no one has something they can look at to say "oh look FP totally knows what he's talking about!". If you build rapport with someone though, then you have built up some credentials. Then people say "hey I know this guy, I trust/value his opinion." At this point though, Kujo does not know you and does not trust or value your opinion as he has no reason to.

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1332710788' post='2408205']
you won't know bravery until your redhead is in labor with your child. :| (just ask my husband)
[/quote]

my car has a long history of troubles, and i wouldnt be surprised if it broke down within walking distance of a pub on my way racing to the hospital...

:|

but then that would be short respite, as she would murder me as soon as she was able.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332711001' post='2408213']
They're worth it.
[/quote]

*high five*

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1332711747' post='2408236']

Fr. David Mary has credentials. One he is a priest, two he has at least the equivalent of a Master's degree in theology as it is a required part of seminary.

You however, have no credentials. That doesn't mean you don't have valid opinions, but it does mean no one has something they can look at to say "oh look FP totally knows what he's talking about!". If you build rapport with someone though, then you have built up some credentials. Then people say "hey I know this guy, I trust/value his opinion." At this point though, Kujo does not know you and does not trust or value your opinion as he has no reason to.
[/quote]

Thanks dude :)

btw, this thread is looking like when Delivery Boy decided he was gonna pass judgement on my conscious and religious values out of no where a few days ago.

MT stepped in and annihilated, terminating with extreme prejudice. it was glorious.

Edited by Jesus_lol

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1332711884' post='2408241']
btw, this thread is looking like when Delivery Boy decided he was gonna pass judgement on my conscious and religious values out of no where a few days ago.

MT stepped in and annihilated, terminating with extreme prejudice. it was glorious.
[/quote]

I remember that. It was funny...

Ah, youth. You've got all of these wonderful ideas flowing around in your head, newly-minted. You've begun to research things for yourself for the first time, you're forming your own opinions on matters, and starting to assert your own individuality. It's fantastic.

Wisdom, ultimately, is another name for experience. And experience is simply one thing that youth have in smaller supply than those who have lived longer. A lack of experience doesn't automatically make one's opinions invalid or even less valid, but it does mean that those opinions are tempered by the fact that they're still often more based in theories than practices.

If you were a Bishop, or a Priest, or a child genius working on his 5th Ph.D. at Harvard - those actions of life gain credibility through study and experience. Living on your own, holding down a regular job for regular pay, interacting with other, different people in society give you credibility through life experience. Time spent around others in a group gain you the benefits (and drawbacks) of familiarity.

The more of these individual factors you have going for you, the more weight and credence is given by default to what you say. As you consistently and with greater confidence display a track record for mature, intelligent, and thoughtful discussion, your reputation for said discussion grows.

And understand that there are just certain types of advice that typically shouldn't be given by certain people at certain times. One example: I typically stay a mile away from offering advice on marriage (other than the occasional statistic) as I'm unmarried, discerning the Priesthood, and from a family environment stained heavily by divorce. It's just not a subject where anything I'd say would have any real gravity or merit.

The more experience you gain in life, and the more you study and grow in life the more in which you'll be able to speak and have your words taken with confidence. Part of that means conducting yourself with maturity in the group you're in. Maturity doesn't just mean "Go around pretending to be an adult", it means accepting that "I'm a teenager, and I should probably choose the arguments I make with care, charity, and clarity so as to best reflect upon myself."

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1332712796' post='2408262']
yeah, i think i waited until i was 18 before i started making a fool of myself on PM.
[/quote]

now you're just issuing a challenge to everyone to find really old posts of yours.

yeah, i think i waited until i was 18 before i started making a fool of myself on PM.
[/quote]
I was more around 20. You're really good at that when you're that age...

[/quote]

And then it was off to the races, amirite?

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1332712835' post='2408263']
now you're just issuing a challenge to everyone to find really old posts of yours.
[/quote]

lol ive recently bumped a couple old really stupid ones of mine.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332712991' post='2408268']
And then it was off to the races, amirite?
[/quote]

oh yeah, no holding back

PhuturePriest

[quote name='penguin31' timestamp='1332712469' post='2408255']
Ah, youth. You've got all of these wonderful ideas flowing around in your head, newly-minted. You've begun to research things for yourself for the first time, you're forming your own opinions on matters, and starting to assert your own individuality. It's fantastic.

Wisdom, ultimately, is another name for experience. And experience is simply one thing that youth have in smaller supply than those who have lived longer. A lack of experience doesn't automatically make one's opinions invalid or even less valid, but it does mean that those opinions are tempered by the fact that they're still often more based in theories than practices.

If you were a Bishop, or a Priest, or a child genius working on his 5th Ph.D. at Harvard - those actions of life gain credibility through study and experience. Living on your own, holding down a regular job for regular pay, interacting with other, different people in society give you credibility through life experience. Time spent around others in a group gain you the benefits (and drawbacks) of familiarity.

The more of these individual factors you have going for you, the more weight and credence is given by default to what you say. As you consistently and with greater confidence display a track record for mature, intelligent, and thoughtful discussion, your reputation for said discussion grows.

And understand that there are just certain types of advice that typically shouldn't be given by certain people at certain times. One example: I typically stay a mile away from offering advice on marriage (other than the occasional statistic) as I'm unmarried, discerning the Priesthood, and from a family environment stained heavily by divorce. It's just not a subject where anything I'd say would have any real gravity or merit.

The more experience you gain in life, and the more you study and grow in life the more in which you'll be able to speak and have your words taken with confidence. Part of that means conducting yourself with maturity in the group you're in. Maturity doesn't just mean "Go around pretending to be an adult", it means accepting that "I'm a teenager, and I should probably choose the arguments I make with care, charity, and clarity so as to best reflect upon myself."
[/quote]

I'd like your post, but I liked too many of Lil' Red's. I wouldn't complain to her about it, though. It is evident through this thread that redheads are scary beasts that will destroy you in seconds.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1332712874' post='2408265']
I was more around 20. You're really good at that when you're that age...
[/quote]
Nolo contendere.