An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life After College 3: More Rants And Revelations

MissyP89

brianthephysicist

You guys!

IT'S FINALLY FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0[/media]

:P

And in other news, I won a facebook raffle for a DVD on Catholic marriage.  Anyone to comment on a picture was entered into the raffle and apparently only me and A gentle friend (the one from my diocese that runs the men's conferences and is married with 5 kids) entered it and I won.  

Here's a link to the DVD: http://drvc-faith.mybigcommerce.com/when-two-become-one/

I'm excited to watch it and I think it's very appropriate considering that big step we took less than a month ago :D

brianthephysicist

Also, I forgot to add that I got my head shaved at a barber shop.  Hot towel and everything.  Unfortunately the guy wasn't very good.  Nicked me a bunch of times and most of my head is not smooth like my face is after I shave. Oh well, I can say that I did it.

brianthephysicist

And now I'm registered for the conference in Canada.  Early registration ends tonight, so I saved myself 50 bucks. Score!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0[/media]

:P

And in other news, I won a facebook raffle for a DVD on Catholic marriage.  Anyone to comment on a picture was entered into the raffle and apparently only me and A gentle friend (the one from my diocese that runs the men's conferences and is married with 5 kids) entered it and I won.  

Here's a link to the DVD: http://drvc-faith.mybigcommerce.com/when-two-become-one/

I'm excited to watch it and I think it's very appropriate considering that big step we took less than a month ago :D

Hahahahahaha that's hilarious. :bounce:

Also, I forgot to add that I got my head shaved at a barber shop.  Hot towel and everything.  Unfortunately the guy wasn't very good.  Nicked me a bunch of times and most of my head is not smooth like my face is after I shave. Oh well, I can say that I did it.

Ughhhhhhh why????????????? You make me sad. It was just starting to look nice again, too. :sad: 

PhuturePriest

Hahahahahaha that's hilarious. :bounce:

Ughhhhhhh why????????????? You make me sad. It was just starting to look nice again, too. :sad:

Clearly, you are going to be in charge of his hair from now on.

Clearly, you are going to be in charge of his hair from now on.

Oh yes. 

He looks a little bit like a Marine now. Or as he says, a Marine with the beginning of a beer belly. Haha.

We are both anxiously awaiting the Return of the Beard,

Ate a lot of delicious, high-calorie foods this weekend.

Yesterday afternoon we went to my Mom-Mom's house to meet up with my aunt, who said she had some things for me. She gave me the Good Housekeeping Cookbook: Bridal Edition, some measuring spoons, measuring cups, a cheese grater and a melon baller. My cousin sent me the BEST chopper from Pampered Chef, too. I have a really hard time with things that require fine motor skills (tying ties, doing buttons, chopping, etc.), so it's a real blessing. All I do is press down and it chops everything for me. Perfect. It feels surreal to actually have things for our kitchen now, even though we won't be looking for an apartment for a while yet.

From there we went up to our old university parish hoping to go to Adoration. I saw the confessional door open when we arrived, and opted to skip Adoration to go confess. The pastor of the parish is a gentle, wonderfully down-to-earth priest who I came to really like during my time in undergrad. It was good to see him.

Before I left, I told him about our engagement -- Brian and I hadn't started dating yet when we graduated -- and he was thrilled to hear that a Newman couple was getting married. I decided then to hedge my bets and ask him if it would be possible for us to marry there, even if neither of us are from the parish. He said he would be honored to host us. :yahoo: He also has a good relationship with my pastor here at home, so it should be no trouble getting permission from him.

And today marked six years since I've been back in the Church. I have grown and blossomed so much since those first very difficult months. I am so blessed to have the Eucharist in my life.

Ironically, this morning we attended a Methodist service for the baptism of Brian's newest cousins, twins who were born in November. All told, a great weekend. 

Catching up on some work now. Deadline week ahead...

brianthephysicist

Oh yes. 

He looks a little bit like a Marine now. Or as he says, a Marine with the beginning of a beer belly. Haha.

We are both anxiously awaiting the Return of the Beard,

Ate a lot of delicious, high-calorie foods this weekend.

Yesterday afternoon we went to my Mom-Mom's house to meet up with my aunt, who said she had some things for me. She gave me the Good Housekeeping Cookbook: Bridal Edition, some measuring spoons, measuring cups, a cheese grater and a melon baller. My cousin sent me the BEST chopper from Pampered Chef, too. I have a really hard time with things that require fine motor skills (tying ties, doing buttons, chopping, etc.), so it's a real blessing. All I do is press down and it chops everything for me. Perfect. It feels surreal to actually have things for our kitchen now, even though we won't be looking for an apartment for a while yet.

From there we went up to our old university parish hoping to go to Adoration. I saw the confessional door open when we arrived, and opted to skip Adoration to go confess. The pastor of the parish is a gentle, wonderfully down-to-earth priest who I came to really like during my time in undergrad. It was good to see him.

Before I left, I told him about our engagement -- Brian and I hadn't started dating yet when we graduated -- and he was thrilled to hear that a Newman couple was getting married. I decided then to hedge my bets and ask him if it would be possible for us to marry there, even if neither of us are from the parish. He said he would be honored to host us. :yahoo: He also has a good relationship with my pastor here at home, so it should be no trouble getting permission from him.

And today marked six years since I've been back in the Church. I have grown and blossomed so much since those first very difficult months. I am so blessed to have the Eucharist in my life.

Ironically, this morning we attended a Methodist service for the baptism of Brian's newest cousins, twins who were born in November. All told, a great weekend. 

Catching up on some work now. Deadline week ahead...

It was amazing, as every weekend with you has been.

I'm excited by the prospect of getting married at that particular church.  Not only is it the parish where we met, it's an amazingly beautiful church.  The churches in your parish are either way too dark or remind you of funerals and the churches in my parish feel more like convenient rooms to have Mass, rather than a beautiful building that lifts our eyes to the mysteries of God like that church does.  We'll have a wonderful time there.  Plus, it's like I was telling Fr. D., not only do I want our wedding to be beautiful for our sake, I want it to speak of the glory of God because what other time are we afforded the opportunity to bring some of these friends and family with us to a Mass?

It was amazing, as every weekend with you has been.

I'm excited by the prospect of getting married at that particular church.  Not only is it the parish where we met, it's an amazingly beautiful church.  The churches in your parish are either way too dark or remind you of funerals and the churches in my parish feel more like convenient rooms to have Mass, rather than a beautiful building that lifts our eyes to the mysteries of God like that church does.  We'll have a wonderful time there.  Plus, it's like I was telling Fr. D., not only do I want our wedding to be beautiful for our sake, I want it to speak of the glory of God because what other time are we afforded the opportunity to bring some of these friends and family with us to a Mass?

I can remember the day of our baccalaureate Mass, you came up to the front last and I made Ann move over so you could stand next to me. ;) I'm so excited and I hope it pans out. I would be totally fine with letting Fr. M be the main celebrant if it uncomplicates thngs a bit, but we'll have to see what my parish requires from us.

I hope no one gets offended by me not really wanting to involve my priests.

It is such a beautiful place. I should start praying for a sunny day now, in hopes that we'll get rainbows in the church like there were on Saturday. :love:

The acoustics are wonderful, too. It'll make for a great liturgy.

We have a few ideas, but are really holding off on planning until Brian is done class.

I am trying not to get my hopes up too high about this. We may be asked to have the Mass either at my parish or his -- as it stands now we are looking to go out of parish with out of diocese priests. Complicated. Not sure what will fly and what won't.

ETA: The more I think about this, the more I think Fr. M really is the best priest to represent me ...

Edited by MissyP89

brianthephysicist

I can remember the day of our baccalaureate Mass, you came up to the front last and I made Ann move over so you could stand next to me. ;) I'm so excited and I hope it pans out. I would be totally fine with letting Fr. M be the main celebrant if it uncomplicates thngs a bit, but we'll have to see what my parish requires from us.

I hope no one gets offended by me not really wanting to involve my priests.

It is such a beautiful place. I should start praying for a sunny day now, in hopes that we'll get rainbows in the church like there were on Saturday. :love:

The acoustics are wonderful, too. It'll make for a great liturgy.

I was thinking about the orientation of the church and where the sun will have to be in order to get rainbows again.  Sitting in a pew, we face SSE.  If i'ts about noon, then we won't get any rainbows.  In late afternoon, we will get the rainbows we saw on Saturday, coming from the right, where they drag across the left side of the church, leaning towards the front of the church, playing across the altar.  In the morning, we'll get rainbows in two spots, that large panel behind the lectern will light up beautifully as well as the panels on the left side along the ceiling, but unlike the afternoon, the light will lean away from the front of the church, playing across the eyes of the congregation.

What'dya think about afternoon?

brianthephysicist

We have a few ideas, but are really holding off on planning until Brian is done class.

I am trying not to get my hopes up too high about this. We may be asked to have the Mass either at my parish or his -- as it stands now we are looking to go out of parish with out of diocese priests. Complicated. Not sure what will fly and what won't.

We're not being ridiculous, they know us and they know we're legit. It'll take a little extr effort but it'll all work out.

Sure we're legit, but policy is policy and my pastor is firm. We will see. 

I am leaning toward either afternoon (1 or 2) or morning (11ish). As long as I don't have to wait til like 5 to see you, I'm open to pretty much anything.