An Old School Catholic Message Board

Finding Other Catholic Virgins?

polskieserce

Basilisa Marie

I heard a rumor that one can annul a marriage if his/her partner is barren. Is that true?

No.  Infertility is not an "impediment" to marriage.  Impotence is an impediment to marriage (Inability to have vaginal intercourse - my professor went into clinical detail of what is required, but I'm going to spare you the details - PM me if you feel like you need to know).  

Like Arfink said, there are basically two ways infertility becomes grounds for a declaration of annulment.  The first is if you know you are infertile and you conceal it from your spouse, because you weren't being honest with him or her about an important issue and therefore they were unable to make an informed decision about marrying you.  Same thing would apply to serious mental illness, being in a previous marriage, not being baptized, etc. Basically it has to be something important that would have a serious effect on the marriage. Like I said earlier in the thread, I don't think virginity counts, but others might think differently.  Now, if you don't know you're infertile and find out later, that's not grounds for an annulment.  It's just part of the "for better or for worse."  The second is if you are fertile at the time of marriage, but fully intend to get surgically sterilized after the wedding, and therefore you're not being open to life.  The key is at the time of the wedding - so if I decided later on after the wedding that I wanted to get sterilized, but hadn't intended on it at the time I "consented" during the exchange of vows, I wouldn't have grounds for an annulment. Make sense? 

One more thing - an annulment is a declaration that a valid marriage never actually took place. It's different from a divorce (civil divorce) or dissolution of the bond, which is a special power the pope has for very special cases.  You might already know that, but I just want to be clear for the lurkers.  :) 

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Please don't tell me that you wouldn't marry a girl who was raped. That is horrifying.

Norseman has been waiting decades for you, faithfully. And he likes long walks on the beach, and pina coladas.

As my late aunt would say,"Ja cie chlasnie".  :smile3:

Now, if OP were a Polskaserce, I have an extra Shoei, jacket, and gloves for her to use on the back of the bike (that is, if she doesn't have her one of her own, like the Górala who broke up with me to enter the religious community),

Edited by Norseman82

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

No worries, we can all have confidence that our future spouse as God intended was aborted or wasted in a conjagal act strictly used for unitive purposes.  Just trying to give a positive outlook on things.  :thumbsup:  (It's usually that is the mentality you have you do find him/her, known multiple cases of that, but then again, we lost a third of our generation; that's a !@#$ load of future spouses.)  

That's a pretty rude thing to call a lady, even if she did break up with you.

I said  "Górala", not "gorilla".  "Górala" is the feminine form of "Góral", which refers to Polish Highlanders from the southern mountain part of Poland. 

No worries, we can all have confidence that our future spouse as God intended was aborted or wasted in a conjagal act strictly used for unitive purposes.  Just trying to give a positive outlook on things.  :thumbsup:  (It's usually that is the mentality you have you do find him/her, known multiple cases of that, but then again, we lost a third of our generation;  

That's actually a very good observation...

Noel's angel

Wait...I'm confused...did someone actually say they wouldn't marry a girl who had lost her virginity through rape?

Things I have learned in this thread:

BG45 is a dude. 

Not sure how I should take this... :P

Wait...I'm confused...did someone actually say they wouldn't marry a girl who had lost her virginity through rape?

I don't think anyone said that, I think it's just that things became hard to track when Hitler entered the equation.

havok579257

the op said he would not marry a women who was vaginally raped.  he said if she was molested but not vaginally raped then he would consider marrying her but any vaginal rape and he would not even consider it.  Apparently its the women's fault she would not be his version of a virgin when they married.  So simple solution, women just need to stop getting raped.  Easy enough.

Anastasia13

Not sure how I should take this... :P

It's ok. Some people thought I was a dude. Who knows... maybe some still do/will again. Either way, I still look good in a dress.

Basilisa Marie

No worries, we can all have confidence that our future spouse as God intended was aborted or wasted in a conjagal act strictly used for unitive purposes.  Just trying to give a positive outlook on things.  :thumbsup:  (It's usually that is the mentality you have you do find him/her, known multiple cases of that, but then again, we lost a third of our generation; that's a !@#$ load of future spouses.)  

False. God doesn't pick out our spouses; there's no such thing as a "one true love soul mate destined and set aside for me by God."   :)   There are multiple people with whom you can have a holy marriage, which underscores the idea that marriage is about consent, about choice, and working to live up to that choice and making the marriage work.  It's fine to talk about "my future spouse" or "my future wife is out there somewhere," but not in the sense that there's only one person "meant" for you and if you don't find him or her you're out of luck forever. Karl Keating had to tell his apologists to stop spreading that idea around. :)

Edit: WAIT. 

You're probably being sarcastic.

Derp.  Nevermind then. This is what happens when I phatmass before my morning coffee.  :P 

Edited by Basilisa Marie

False. God doesn't pick out our spouses; there's no such thing as a "one true love soul mate destined and set aside for me by God."   :)   There are multiple people with whom you can have a holy marriage, which underscores the idea that marriage is about consent, about choice, and working to live up to that choice and making the marriage work.  It's fine to talk about "my future spouse" or "my future wife is out there somewhere," but not in the sense that there's only one person "meant" for you and if you don't find him or her you're out of luck forever. Karl Keating had to tell his apologists to stop spreading that idea around. :)

Edit: WAIT. 

You're probably being sarcastic.

Derp.  Nevermind then. This is what happens when I phatmass before my morning coffee.   :P

rofl. i love everything about this post. :)