An Old School Catholic Message Board

Interview With Pope Francis In America Magazine

Basilisa Marie

I'm convinced the people who are supporting this "new approach" don't know what they're talking about. I don't see any difference between this and what the Church is already doing. I'll stick around to the side if any details come up!

I'm convinced the people who are supporting this "new approach" don't know what they're talking about. I don't see any difference between this and what the Church is already doing. I'll stick around to the side if any details come up!

So the what in Francis' words or style are you objecting to?

I don't think anyone knows what this "new approach" is, because there really is no new approach. To me it just sounds like Catholics are supposed to refrain from talking about the three controversial topics mentioned by Pope Francis in the interview, because if we do talk about them he believes that the Church becomes obsessed with them. Personally I think it is modern Western society that is obsessed with those immoral things, but I'm just a lowly member of the laity.

Fidei Defensor

Can I just point out that this isn't first century Rome where Christianity is struggling to survive, it's the year 2013 and nearly every person knows what Christianity is? You're speaking as if every time a Christian speaks on any subject, they must essentially teach the entirety of the religion.  It's silly.

Go find someone who doesn't already know how the Church feels about gay marriage or abortion and then we can talk about the importance of repeating the same thing over and over again.

Moving to debate table ... and please, please refrain from making comments that are inappropriate for minors to read.  This is a Catholic phorum.

I've edited a few of the entries that I think are over the top.  Although I think there are others.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/christinerousselle/2013/09/20/oops-naral-thanks-pope-franciswho-then-blasts-abortion-n1705550

I don't get it. Did they thank him accidentally or was there something else he said?

Nope.  It wasn't an accident.  That doesn't mean that the person who posted that for NARAL is under the impression that the Pope said that he believed abortion was moral.  

Can I just point out that this isn't first century Rome where Christianity is struggling to survive, it's the year 2013 and nearly every person knows what Christianity is? You're speaking as if every time a Christian speaks on any subject, they must essentially teach the entirety of the religion.  It's silly.

Go find someone who doesn't already know how the Church feels about gay marriage or abortion and then we can talk about the importance of repeating the same thing over and over again.

Yet again we are on opposite sides of the issue, because I would say that ignorance of Christianity is at an all time high, and the Church (actually not just the Roman Church, but Protestant and even Orthodox Churches) is to blame. Catechesis has collapsed in most Churches in the Western world.

Edited by Apotheoun

CatholicsAreKewl

Nope.  It wasn't an accident.  That doesn't mean that the person who posted that for NARAL is under the impression that the Pope said that he believed abortion was moral.  

That's why I'm confused.